PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your garlic?

Mindy
03-18-2009, 01:15 PM
I was wondering where and how you store your garlic.

I just threw out a whole head today because it was stinking up my entire kitchen. I usually keep the garlic in the produce bag from the store. But this head I had to also put in a plastic container and you could still smell it! Then it got soft from being in a bag and a container.

I can't stand funky kitchen smells! I swear you could smell it upstairs in the bedrooms!

sneezles
03-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Plastic, be it produce bags or containers, is not a good place for storing garlic. I keep mine in a basket on the kitchen counter with the onions and shallots.

zwieback
03-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Sounds to me as if the head of garlic was maybe bad to begin with? I don't think that I've ever had a head of garlic that I could smell (until I started cutting it), even when the thing was sprouting.

But, I have a tiered basket thingy in my kitchen and I keep the garlic in the produce bag in the top basket of the rack.

My mom has a garlic keeper on her counter. It's a glass/porcelain jar with a few holes along the bottom part of it.

erin elizabeth
03-18-2009, 01:39 PM
I agree with zwieback--you probably had a head that had a cracked or rotten clove in it. Garlic should not smell that strongly when it is whole and OK. Garlic is best stored in a cool, dark, dry place.

Tutalady
03-18-2009, 02:20 PM
I have a stoneware garlic keeper that I bought in Germany...it keeps the garlic dark and there are air holes in it. Never smell the garlic.

Hammster
03-18-2009, 03:46 PM
I have an ancient (well maybe 25 years?) small plastic storage bowl who's lid broke years ago. I tossed the lid but I just keep heads of garlic in the bowl inside my spice cabinet. So, the garlic is always in the dark and relatively cool location. I agree with others that if you could smell a head of garlic all over the house without cutting into it, it must have been bad.

sneezles
03-18-2009, 04:02 PM
I have an ancient (well maybe 25 years?) small plastic storage bowl who's lid broke years ago. I tossed the lid but I just keep heads of garlic in the bowl inside my spice cabinet.

I read from the OP that the plastic container had a lid...that kind of closed environment would cause the garlic to rot.

Garlic needs air, dry cool air. If it smelled like garlic at the store then it should never have been brought home.

Hammster
03-18-2009, 04:07 PM
I read from the OP that the plastic container had a lid...that kind of closed environment would cause the garlic to rot.

Garlic needs air, dry cool air. If it smelled like garlic at the store then it should never have been brought home.

Yeah, that's why I didn't use this bowl until after I tossed the lid. Not a good idea to keep heads of garlic "sealed" up.

buzybee
03-18-2009, 04:49 PM
I store mine in a plastic bag in the refrigerator.

cherylopal
03-18-2009, 07:07 PM
I have a stoneware ceramic jar thing that says garlic on it and it does have air holes- it can hold 2 heads. I won it at a bridal shower about 12 years ago. A bit tacky but it holds the garlic very nicely in my spice cabinet.

Canice
03-18-2009, 08:13 PM
I always have garlic on hand and have never, ever smelled any ambient garlic odor - that seems really odd.
Like others, I just toss mine in a straw basket on the counter with my onions and other storage produce (no potatoes). Those terra cotta containers make a lot of sense, but I guess I go through a head of garlic before it can go bad. (As sneezles suggested, a plastic bag is only going to promote rotting.)

Mindy
03-18-2009, 08:56 PM
ok, so I guess the garlic was bad to begin with, it tasted ok though. Time to buy a new head!! Can you keep garlic in the fridge??

Canice
03-18-2009, 09:26 PM
While the experience you posted about was extreme, do you generally have trouble with your garlic? Just wondering why it needs to go in the 'fridge or a plastic bag? If you keep onions in a pantry or basket, it should be just fine there too, provided it's out of direct sunlight.
If that's not an option and you don't want to use the clay container, maybe it'll be OK in the refrigerator - I don't think I've ever heard of that before.

avariell
03-18-2009, 10:18 PM
I have a couple garlic keepers on my counter that look like this Polish pottery one:
http://cracklecdn-e7.simplecdn.net/img/polishkitchenonline/-/sept08/1791073a.jpg

I have never had any problem with smells, and I am very sensitive to stinky kitchen smells. I would never store garlic in a sealed container or bag.

Canice
03-19-2009, 12:26 AM
Josie, that's a lot prettier than the plain ol' terra cotta keepers! I don't have the spot or need for a garlic keeper, but if I did I'd be on the hunt for that. Where'd you get it?

KristiB
03-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Ooooh I want that garlic keeper!

I just keep mine on a shelf in the pantry. I've never had it go bad. Just the occasional sprout which I remove.

hAndyman
03-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Garlic doesn't mind the cold - I keep mine in a mesh bag or two hanging on a wall in our cold room where in winter it ranges from 1 to 5 deg C (34 to 40F). I'll be using the garlic I dug up last summer until it's gone or sprouts too much to make use of, probably in May, maybe June if I'm lucky. Now that you have me thinking maybe I'll put a few bulbs in the fridge today and see if that'll help slow the sprouting into June or July; I expect that it will dry out or mold depending on where it goes in the fridge - I'll have to find a container that will allow it to breathe but not dry out too quickly. I wouldn't keep it closed up in a plastic bag - perfectly good garlic would rot, even in the fridge; it definitely doesn't like the moisture you would find in a sealed space (and some fridge crispers are lacking in air circulation).
In the kitchen I keep a head in an open and beautiful little basket my dw made out of pine needles.

applecrisp
03-19-2009, 11:35 AM
I usually keep my garlic in the fridge in a paper bag (just folded over loosely). I think I will give another try in my cabinet. In the past it went bad, my kitchen is quite warm.

I agree with the others about a closed plastic container will cause it to rot -- my dad did that once, and it wasn't pretty.

Kay Henderson
03-19-2009, 04:24 PM
This may not be relevant to you. My garlic does fine in its plastic grocery store bag (not tightly folded) in the kitchen drawer in which I keep canned goods. However, I live in an extremely dry climate.

Kay

zwieback
03-19-2009, 04:31 PM
This may not be relevant to you. My garlic does fine in its plastic grocery store bag (not tightly folded) in the kitchen drawer in which I keep canned goods. However, I live in an extremely dry climate.

Kay

Mine does, too. I don't tightly seal the bag, either. I also go through it relatively quickly, so I'm sure that helps too.

surfer376
03-19-2009, 10:35 PM
Josie, that's a lot prettier than the plain ol' terra cotta keepers! I don't have the spot or need for a garlic keeper, but if I did I'd be on the hunt for that. Where'd you get it?

Canice- I loved the one Josie posted as well, so I went on a google hunt-

http://static.zoovy.com/img/polishkitchenonline/W180-H202-Bffffff/sept08/179859a.jpg
this one and the one Josie posted are here (http://www.polishkitchenonline.com/product/179859A/Polish_Pottery_Garlic_Keeper_6_H_x_4_12_W.html)-and the one Josie posted is also on Amazon

A little pricey but on my wish list:)

cocoa'smom
03-20-2009, 09:21 AM
I always store mine in the plastic produce bag in the refrigerator vegetable drawer. It lasts for several weeks. Is there a reason I shouldn't keep it in the refrigerator? I always assumed most people did, but I guess not??

eguill3
03-21-2009, 02:03 PM
In the veggie drawer of my fridge

avariell
03-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Sorry it took me awhile to reply... All of my Polish Pottery comes from a localish woman who goes to Poland herself annually to bring it back. She sells it much cheaper than you can find at other major outlets, but occasionally qvc has good deals on it (www.qvc.com). I love Polish Pottery. My sister and Mom collect it as well - it is beautiful and sturdy and completely usable as part of your everyday dishes/pottery.

The other garlic keeper that I have came from Laura as a gift years ago from a Spanish Pottery purveyor - but I have no clue where. It is equally gorgeous :)