PDA

View Full Version : Spanakopita--what to serve with it?

lantana
04-11-2009, 06:02 AM
We have fresh spring greens in the farmers' market now, and I want to make a spanakopita for Sunday. What veggie sides would play well with spanakopita? I am thinking of lemony or herbal flavors, but I can't come up with anything this morning.

Thanks,

Alice

Trishinomaha
04-11-2009, 06:18 AM
with a little garlic and lemon?

wallycat
04-11-2009, 06:40 AM
I would either do a crisp salad to give a texture contrast or I'd do a fruit bowl because you'll have all those greens in the main dish.

bbenedict
04-11-2009, 08:54 AM
If you're planning on serving it as the main dish, I'd probably pair it with a greek salad.

However, DH and I made spanakopita not too long ago and served it as a side along with Ina's Tuscan Lemon Chicken (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/tuscan-lemon-chicken-recipe/index.html) and sliced tomatoes. The chicken is incredibly delicious.

Bonnie

margeslp
04-11-2009, 12:21 PM
My sons adore spanakopita and I make them as appetizers almost every time they visit. But it is as a first course. One son is vegetarian so create a vegetarian version of something like pastitisio or make a wonderful quiche and for the meat eater grill a butterflied leg of lamb. The spanalopita also works well into a tapas party which I have done when they visit.
I always look at the ingredients:
spanakoita is basically dough, some veggie and some cheese (I really hype the feta)
So I try to complement with other food groups with the rest of the meal. If Veggie Boy isn't at the meal, I would focus on the lamb.
We have had an outstanding Greek appetizer on this site:

Greek Salad Bites

1 cup crumbled feta (4 ounces)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 Tbs. oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper
1 1/2 medium cucumbers ( I used English)
1/4 cup finely shredded fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped Kalamata olives

1. In a small bowl stir together the cheese, sour cream, parsley, tomatoes, garlic, and pepper. Cover and chill for at least two hours.

2. Bias-slice cukes into 1/4 inch slices. Spoon 1 1/2 tsp. cheese mixture onto each cuke slice. Arrange on serving platter.

3. In a small bowl, stir together basil and olives. Spoon some of the mixture over each cuke slice. Serve immediately.
Sorry; don't have original author.

I used low fat sour cream and mix of regular and FF feta. family enjoyed (2 30 something sons who can tolerate any diet)
BTW: I cut down on fat in all phyllo recipes by spraying with Pam till final layer. Found there is need for the fat and liquid in the real deal to brown final layer but I can't tell the difference to slather with butter or oil. For me I either can enjoy it on Weight Watchers or lose out on a life's delight. Don't have to with cooking ligher.

DeeK
04-11-2009, 12:52 PM
At our local Greek restaurant they serve it with Greek Green Beans --

The green beans are simmered with stewed tomatoes and a little bit of cinnamon is added for additional flavor.

lantana
04-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I am definitely keeping the Greek Salad Bites recipe to try later. That sounds delicious.

I made green beans with tomatoes and olive oil, likely similar to the Greek green beans that were suggested. My Turkish friend gave me a recipe a few years ago.

DH grilled a pork tenderloin for himself. We grilled a bunch of asparagus, and I made the Lemony Roasted Potatoes from Veganomicon. So, a giant selection of veggie dishes for me, the vegetarian. Not so bad. And, we have great leftovers for tomorrow (and the next day).

Thanks to all for your great ideas.

Alice

krhm
04-14-2009, 06:40 AM
I know you've already made your meal, but can't resist plugging this Greek salad from Nigella Lawson. Beth H posted it to the boards years ago, and it's been one of our summer favorites ever since, as it keeps well and makes great use of those summer veggies from the farmer's market. Here's Beth H's entire post:

This recipe is from Nigella's Forever Summer book, which I don't think has been published in the US yet. I ordered it from amazon.uk. This is a great Greek salad! Although certainly not low-fat, it is really easy to put together. I was worried that it would be too oily, but it wasn't at all.

Here are the ingredients. Because the book was published in Britain, the metric system is used.

1 red onion
1 T dried oregano
black pepper
1 T red wine vinegar
200 ml extra virgin olive oil (this is roughly .8 of a cup)
5 good tomatoes (I used 8 - 9 plum tomatoes)
1 teaspoon caster sugar (which I learned is super-fine sugar -- although I used regular sugar)
pinch of Maldon salt (I used sea salt)
1 very large cos lettuce (don't know what this is, although in the picture, it looked like iceburg -- I used a bag of Italian mix lettuce)
1 bulb fennel
125 g pitted black olives (I used a 3.5 oz can, which is 99 g)
400 g feta cheese (I used a container that was about 250 g and it seemed plenty)
juice of half a lemon

Peel and finely slice the red onion and sprinkle over the oregano and grind over some pepper. Pour over the vinegar and oil and toss well, cover with saran wrap (or cling film, as Nigella says), and leave to steep for a good 2 hours, longer's fine (I let mine steep for about 5 hours). The blooded crimson of the onion will turn a luninescent puce. When you are ready to eat, cut the tomatoes into quarters, then cut each quarter into quarters (always lengthwise) again, so that you have a collection of very fine segments. Sprinkle the sugar and a pinch of salt over them and leave while you get on with the rest. Tear the lettuce into big pieces, and put into a big, wide salad bowl. Slice the fennel and add that, then the olives and feta, cut or crumbled into rough chunks, and toss well. Now add the tomatoes, the red onion - now lucidly pink - in its marinade-dressing and the lemon juice. Toss gently, but thoroughly, so that everything is combined. Serves 6 - 8.

My apologies to Nigella -- the description for this is a bit longer and more interesting to read, but I just copied the part that contains the basic recipe. You could substitute cucumber for the fennel if you don't care for it. I definitely will make this many times, and I think it also would be good with chicken or even tuna in it for a heartier salad.