PDA

View Full Version : Disposing of an old down comforter?

Canice
04-13-2009, 03:19 AM
I'm sure I've seen this on the BB before, but didn't find it in my search.

I have FINALLY ordered a new down comforter, probably 15 years since my last purchase. Ugh, the old one is lumpy, with big bare patches in the baffling, and uneven heat. I hate it.
But what should I do with it when the new one arrives?

simrnzali
04-13-2009, 04:01 AM
You can use it for camping, I did this with mine. Wherever you feel that your best linens camping will get wet; you can simply use relatively low quality camping with a down comforter which will turn your nights cozy and warm.

suebear37
04-13-2009, 04:37 AM
How about donating it to your local animal shelter? They might be able to use it for bedding. The ones around here are always asking for old blankets.

Robyn1007
04-13-2009, 08:00 AM
I'd go with donating to either a local animal shelter or a local homeless shelter.

Beth
04-13-2009, 08:15 AM
The boys have good sleeping bags and travel light when camping, and I keep an older quilt or blanket for picnics, parks, school stuff -- but I would donate an old comforter. Company Store will rework them -- that's another option.

Casey1230
04-13-2009, 08:21 AM
How about donating it to your local animal shelter? They might be able to use it for bedding. The ones around here are always asking for old blankets.

Not sure how the down would work at the shelter... we launder everything almost daily and don't think you can wash the comforter... of course, my shelter is VERY small so maybe larger ones have a different means to clean.

avariell
04-13-2009, 09:08 AM
I would definitely donate it to a local pantry/shelter. I am sure there are tons of uses for it - including uneven warmth for someone who would otherwise have none, ya know?

mom2garret
04-13-2009, 09:19 AM
This is why I like these boards.

Canice, great question and to those of you that responded great answers! I wouldn't have thought of it.

Jodi

syzygy
04-13-2009, 09:35 AM
I can remember my mom making new pillows from old pillows -- how about a down pillow or two to go with your new comforter? You can salvage the remaining down from the squares and put it all together in a new pillow casing. Just be sure to cover your working area well with an old sheet or something before you start so you can use all the down that flies around. :p

blazedog
04-13-2009, 09:38 AM
You could try human charities but I am pretty sure that most places no longer accept used bedding. I don't know how homeless shelters control sanitation but I think down stuff would be impossible to wash to even minimal standards.

I keep an old quilt in the trunk of my car -- partly for paranoid reasons in terms of being stranded and needing warmth; partly in the event that I ever need to "pack" something. If you go to any outdoor stuff, it can be used to sit on.

I have used old down comforters in a duvet to "pad" my pull out sofa so that it is softer for guests. One could probably do the same with a mediocre mattress in a guest room.

On the plus side, down and the coverings are very biodegradable -- you can even slice it up and let the feathers drift around secure in the knowledge that a bird or rodent will use to pad their nest.

Beth
04-13-2009, 11:10 AM
We have Company Store down comforters adn they can be laundered. One of the charity resale shops here had an entire rack of down comforters from a hotel that was being renovated for sale -- they had been laundered and looked perfect. Some may not care to deal with them, but you can clean or rework them. We recently learned that there is even one place that will take mattresses and rework them.

Shugness
04-13-2009, 11:12 AM
I made a dog bed out of one I was given - I folded it in half, then in half again and then bought two big pieces of fleece and covered it - actually did that tie deal so it was "no sew". My dog loves that bed - it's very fluffy and comfortable.

I like what Blaze recommended too for keeping it in the truck of your car, beyond the reasons she mentioned if you ever have any car issues and have to change a tire or whatever its good to put down to lay or kneel on so your clothes don't get dirty.

Canice
04-23-2009, 06:01 PM
I don't know which is harder for me to imagine: me camping or me crouching by the side of the highway changing a tire ;).

Thanks for all the suggestions - the animal shelter was very happy to take it! I give them my old linens, but thought a down comforter might be a little more iffy from a hygiene perspective, but they assured me they had good uses for it. Always nice to see something take on a new, helpful use :).

Thanks again.