PDA

View Full Version : Appetizer help for crawfish boil (tonight)!

Holly in KC
04-25-2009, 01:27 PM
I just found out I've been asked to bring an appetizer to a crawfish boil party ... in a few hours. I'm thinking spiced nuts - any other ideas for something quick, tasty, easy, portable, and in keeping with the 'crawfish' theme?

Gumbeaux
04-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Live crawfish in Kansas?.......WOW!

Traditionally, everything eaten at a crawfish boil is eaten with your hands. I'm sure the person cooking the crawfish will also boil potatoes and corn on the cob. If I want to have an appetizer, I add pre-cooked smoked sausage to the crawfish pot. Since it only needs to warm up and soak up some of the seasoning, this makes an excellent appetizer.

Holly in KC
04-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Live crawfish in Kansas?.......WOW!

Traditionally, everything eaten at a crawfish boil is eaten with your hands. I'm sure the person cooking the crawfish will also boil potatoes and corn on the cob. If I want to have an appetizer, I add pre-cooked smoked sausage to the crawfish pot. Since it only needs to warm up and soak up some of the seasoning, this makes an excellent appetizer.

Hmm... excellent point. I highly doubt there are ANY live crawfish in KC. Its some sort of crawfish party, but suspect they're preparing some other way (can you tell I'm getting the info second hand?)

little_bopeep
04-25-2009, 02:22 PM
How about jalapeno poppers? They can be assembled at home and broiled at the party--if it's not an outside affair on a beach or something. Oh, wait...Kansas.... :D

Jalapeno Poppers

Whole jalapenos (each one makes 2 poppers)
Cream cheese (tub or block, your choice)
Shredded cheddar cheese
Bacon for wrapping (turkey bacon works fine, but it's not my personal first choice)
toothpicks
Steak sauce (totally optional; I used it on a whim once and loved it)

Slice jalapenos in half length-wise and remove all seeds and membranes (USE GLOVES)

Fill each pepper half with cream cheese, a few drops of steak sauce (if you're using it) and cheddar cheese. Wrap one half slice of bacon around it to seal in all the goodies, then secure the bacon with a toothpick. From here, you can pack these and take them with you.

At the party, place the peppers on a broiler pan and broil until the bacon is crispy and the cheese is melty. Keep an eye on them so the bacon doesn't burn.

Serve with ranch dip.

Gumbeaux
04-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Hmm... excellent point. I highly doubt there are ANY live crawfish in KC.

It's not outside the realm of possibility. You can order them from Louisiana shipped via air and if the person cooking them has a buddy that's a long-haul truck driver headed north from Louisiana, that's another possibility. If a local seafood store sells them live they are probably very $$$.

Gumbeaux
04-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Hey, Holly in KC. Having a crawfish party today in KC is apropos. The Chiefs drafted LSU defensive end Tyson Jackson in the first round today. :)

http://www.nfldraftspot.com/2009-prospect-cards-nfl-draft-spot-pic/TYSON-JACKSON-CARD-NEW.jpg

Robyn1007
04-25-2009, 05:19 PM
It's not outside the realm of possibility. You can order them from Louisiana shipped via air and if the person cooking them has a buddy that's a long-haul truck driver headed north from Louisiana, that's another possibility. If a local seafood store sells them live they are probably very $$$.

I'll be hitting the local Pappadeaux's for boiled crawfish Tuesday which they fly in 2 nights per week during the season. It's definitely possible. :D

charley
04-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Hey Holly, so what kind of crawfish did you have? I usually take guacamole and/or salsa with chips to a boil.