PDA

View Full Version : Mother's Day Menu

Leonard
05-06-2009, 04:56 AM
Every year I hosted Mother's Day for DH's family. All of us have lost our Moms so instead of being sad, we spend the day together, laughing, eating just being together. There will be 12 of us. All couples. Here is the menu. They love beef!

Salad with Sping Mix, Strawberries, sliced almonds, feta cheese, balsamic dressing.

Cucumber salad (Cues sliced with a rice vinegar dressing)

Filet Mignon with sauteed Portabella mushrooms

Oven Roasted Potatoes

Asparagus Casserole (fresh asparagus blanced, in a 9 x 13 pan with a sauce with some parm cheese and a breadcrumb topping, baked.

Caramel brownies

Costco cheesecake (it is delicious!)

Does this sound like everything goes together? I'm horrible at this?

erin elizabeth
05-06-2009, 07:19 AM
Sounds like a wonderfully generous feast to me. Why the spring mix salad and the cucumber salad?

Kiwismommy
05-06-2009, 07:49 AM
I think your menu looks great. Enjoy!

Danita

Hammster
05-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Looks great!

I agree with Erin, why 2 very different salads? The balsamic and rice vinegar will really compete against each other.

Also, I'm not sure I'd cook asparagus in that manner. I'd say steam the asparagus til just tender and make a cheese sauce and nap the asparagus with the sauce. Skip the oven altogether for the asparagus.

No question about 2 desserts. The more the merrier. :D
Although, now that I think of it, would a strawberry sorbet or granita be a nice light dessert after beef and potatoes?

Anne
05-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Not to be contentious but I like the idea of two salads. Perhaps the first would be served as a separate course and the second along with the beef. I adore cuke salad with meat - but that is probably just me. I agree with Hamster that the simple version for the asparagus would be good. Also agree, the more desert, the more good!!! I would add a simple bread - maybe whole wheat French but popovers would be awesome with this meal (if you can pull them off, my rate is only about 50%, no matter what recipe I use).

Leonard
05-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Maybe I shouldn't serve both the cucumbers & strawberry salad. I don't want anything to clash?

Aninha
05-06-2009, 08:36 PM
See, it's all a matter of preference... I actually love the idea of the two salads, they both sound great and so different.
Now, for the desserts I would definitely serve something lighter. Both are very heavy desserts and if served after such dinner I would probably opt not to have any. A sorbet does sound very refreshing and lighter on the palate after meat and potatoes. You could do cheesecake and chocolate sorbet maybe?
But then, this is just me, I am more of a salad and veggies gal and not much on the meat department, and desserts to me has to be lighter (meaning not too dense or sweet, not necessarily lighter as in low fat/calories), unless it will be eaten an hour or two after the meal.
Let us know what you decide and how your celebration goes!
Ana

Canice
05-06-2009, 08:51 PM
I assumed the cuke salad was by special request or as an either/or choice, but overall it seems rather out of keeping with the rest of the menu (though I do like cucumber salads).

If you wanted to make life easier, you could also consider simply roasting the asparagus, which would also provide something a little lighter with beef and sautéed mushrooms and potatoes. If the potatoes are the only thing going in the oven, you should have plenty of room. For that matter, some roasted shallots would be a nice addition to a "steakhouse" menu, and take next to no work.

All that said, were you to serve the menu you posted I'm sure it would be a big hit :).

dneilson2
05-06-2009, 09:07 PM
If strawberry salad is omitted, strawberries would be nice in a strawberry/rhubarb crumble. It's lighter than a cheesecake -- most people love it.

Fruits are easily tossed with sweetener and flour/cornstarch, mix oatmeal topping ingredients in another bowl and refrigerate (covered) night before. Spread fruit in buttered casserole, sprinkle topping over and bake until bubbly.

An excellent thread was posted using rhubarb and strawberries this week.

Your menu looks great. It's a dear way of celebrating your Moms. I think your Mom would want you to celebrate YOU too if you're a Mom!

Dolores