PDA

View Full Version : need help re: double wall oven or 1 oven, 1 micro/convec?

adrianna!!
05-24-2009, 09:49 AM
I am searching for a double wall oven where the one oven is standard size, and the second oven would be smaller...to fit a casserole dish, tray of cookies, pan of biscuits, etc.

OR...what about a wall oven, and the other oven a microwave/convection oven? I don't really understand microwaves that are also convection...I feel kind of intimidated by the concept. I would love to hear from someone who has one and uses it as both microwave AND oven on a regular basis.

I have done google searches but I am kind of confused by the results.

Thanks!

wallycat
05-24-2009, 10:50 AM
I haven't tried this one yet, but GE profile makes a "double oven" that takes up the space of a single (30") oven...
that gives you 2 ovens and you still have room for a microwave/advantium type oven if you wanted.

blazedog
05-24-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm not sure what your question is? Do you have wall space that isn't tall enough for two standard size ovens?

In terms of configuration, I would go for a "true" convection oven in my full size oven -- this is one that has three sources of heat instead of just air blowing as many so-called convection ovens have.

In terms of a second oven, the problem with a wall microwave oven is that microwaves seem to not last as long as stoves and ovens I'm not sure I would opt for one in the wall. Of course one must weigh this against having a microwave stacked out of sight. FWIW, my friend has two double wall ovens and configured a shelf in one of her cabinet configurations that was a stack of drawers -- this was retrofitted by a carpenter.

As a second oven I would opt for an Adventium speed type oven as this does represent a useful function -- i.e. it crisps food and one can roast chicken, grill fish etc. quickly and have it resemble "real" browned food. I have also been told that it produces good kid friendly meals i.e. oven browned fish nuggets etc.

adrianna!!
05-24-2009, 11:13 AM
I do have space, but after thinking about it, I could use the space for more storage. Also, whenever i have truly desired a double oven (usually just holidays, and occasionally a dinner party...point is, not that often) I usually just need to do a casserole or tray of rolls in the second oven, so I don't think I need two full blown wall ovens.

I am also still trying to figure out where to stick my microwave (don't want it justr out on the counter, if possible) so i thought maybe I should kill two birds w/one stone and have the microwave be the "second oven" but I would want it to be capable of actually baking things. I see your point about microwaves not lasting as long as regular ovens, and I never considered that so thanks for the tip.

I will look into the Advantium and GE profile you both mentioned. Thanks!

blazedog
05-24-2009, 11:19 AM
The Advantium ovens are shorter than normal wall ovens so they would fill your space requirements. I think some of them are "speed cook" plus convection plus microwave but I was researching a few years ago. "Convection" in many instances just means fans that blow the air around which is supposed to help even cooking (i.e. to prevent hot and cold spots).

The gardenweb has a super forum dedicated to appliances although I found a lot of the recommendations over the top -- I don't think a kitchen needs a Viking to cook and at least here in Los Angeles, there seems to be an inverse relationship between so-called "gourmet" kitchens and the amount of cooking that is done in them.

One functionality I did like was covered oven elements as it made cleaning much easier.

adrianna!!
05-24-2009, 11:20 AM
ahhhhh, wallycat....this must be what you mean..

http://tinyurl.com/qnb5gj

this seems perfect.

wallycat
05-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Except it's prettier:

http://www.appliancist.com/builtin_ovens/new-revolutionary-ge-profile-single-double-wall-oven.html

Blissful_in_TX
05-24-2009, 06:25 PM
This has been a year or two since we researched it, but we decided against b/c the micro/convect unit will be sooo much more expensive and soooo much more likely to break down. If space is that much of an issue, I would consider trying to get by with one oven and then maybe use a toaster oven or something for smaller items? Or could you use a second oven as storage when not in use?

Beth
05-24-2009, 10:12 PM
I went with double ovens. I knew I really wanted them, but I have had a single oven and a micro/convection before. The micro convection I had allowed you to cook by micro, convection or a combination of both. I have a hard plastic Bundt pan and I liked the way cakes baked in that with the combination -- in about 35 minutes instead of 55-60. It was great for casseroles or steaming veggies with micro, so I could do side dishes in it while using the regular oven for other things. Mine was also large enough to have a rack so that I could stack one thing over another. I remember baking biscuits in it but I also remember that there were some things I wasn't that thrilled with in it. I just wish I could remember what they were, but it's been several years since we had it.

ETA: The micro convection I had was a countertop model by Sharp that I bought at Macy's and had about 15 years with one repair -- about $100. I'm not sure they are more likely to break down than regular micros. The repair we had was replacing a micro part.

We had the where to put a micro dilemma in this kitchen. We solved it with a micro drawer. They are more expensive, but it made the whole kitchen come together so we figured it was worth it. They fit under the counter but are much easier to reach into that a standard micro installed under the counter.

benj2009
05-25-2009, 06:43 AM
They are great. I really use the Advantium speedcook setting a lot for baking things like biscuits & pigs in a blanket. It doesn't have to heat up like a regular oven. I like the Profile oven too but it does run the fan a long time to cool it down. We have had them about 3 years now & they have been well worth getting.

krhm
05-25-2009, 07:54 AM
We have the wall oven/microwave that can also be used as a convection oven. Ours is a KitchenAid: http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/KEMS378SSS/. We did not pay the full retail price; someone special-ordered it at our local Lowe's, then returned it, and they discounted it deeply to get rid of it.

I love it...the microwave is a smaller oven, but it heats up quickly and cools down faster, so a great option for when I don't want to heat up the house. I also like to use it as a warming oven when I'm juggling numerous dishes or holding food for someone who is late. I love the fact that my counterspace is free from the microwave.

I also love the ability to do two foods on different temperatures, something that has actually become more of an issue now that DH has seriously taken up bread making.

Now that I have a convection oven, I wouldn't go back. But we do have the option to use it as a regular oven, which is nice when we don't want the convection oven.

For holidays or gatherings when I'm cooking for a lot, this actually gets a little tricky, because I typically need two wall ovens AND a microwave. But the problem was solved when I started working from home last year and brought my office microwave home with me. Most of the year it lives in the basement for the kids to make popcorn, but when it's needed, it comes upstairs.

Not sure if any of this helps, but thought I'd offer our experience!