PDA

View Full Version : How to tell when your grill tank is empty...

tracey67
08-16-2001, 02:09 PM
Hi everyone!

DH and I just had our propane tank filled this weekend and learned an interesting fact that I thought others would find helpful.

We have a standard size tank and one of those gauges that lets you know how full it is. Well, it was almost completely on empty and we had guests coming over for grilled food. Since I didn't want to risk running out while they were here, I figured that - empty or not - we should bring it to be refilled before dinner that night.

Imagine how surprised we were when the propane guy told us that it had still been HALF full. He said that a full propane tank weighs about 36 pounds and that empty, it weighs about 18 pounds. He said ours weighed 28 pounds. Unfortunately, he had already filled it and we still had to pay the full amount (fortunately it's only about $10).

SO...the info that I wanted to pass along it that perhaps weighing your tank when you think it might be empty is a better way to go than using one of those (apparently) unreliable gauges. If you have a bathroom scale, just pop it on there and see where it lies between 18 and 36 pounds.

Happy Grilling!
tracey

ebobbitt
08-16-2001, 02:20 PM
You can also (so I've heard) spray the tank with water and the "condensation" on the outside of the tank will look different at the line where the gas come up to.

funnybone
08-16-2001, 02:31 PM
I have also heard about ebobbit's idea, but using very hot, or boiling water. Where the tank is empty, it will warm, but where full, it will not. We have never done it ourselves. To be safe, we have 2 tanks, and when one is completely out, we get the other one out. Now, DH is supposed to get the empty one filled asap (hopefully he did that already - lol).

erinyyc
08-16-2001, 02:37 PM
Or...... you could do it the way we do. Never check it, have it run out half way through cooking dinner, use every 4-letter word in your vocabulary (and make up a few new ones ), and borrow your neighbours BBQ to salvage dinner!!!!heehee:D

It's worked for us for 17 years!!

Erin

funnybone
08-16-2001, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by erinyyc
Or...... you could do it the way we do. Never check it, have it run out half way through cooking dinner, use every 4-letter word in your vocabulary (and make up a few new ones ), and borrow your neighbours BBQ to salvage dinner!!!!heehee:D

It's worked for us for 17 years!!

Erin

LOL - That happened to us last year - and we had guests over! We had moved and the moving company would not take our tanks with them for safety reasons. Well, we only had bought one and used the propane a lot quicker than DH thought we would (I kept telling him we needed another). The neighbors were really nice about it, but then again, they had borrowed ours earlier in the month - lol!

Julia1Pin
08-16-2001, 02:52 PM
We used to run out all the time, drive to Home Depot (only 4 blocks away) refill, come back, finish BBQing.

Finally, we just bought a second one.

About 2 months ago, both tanks were empty in the middle of BBQing.

We're pretty pathetic :o

Beth H
08-16-2001, 03:33 PM
Good tip. Our propane tank ran out a couple of weeks ago as I was cooking the Jamacian Jerk Spice Beef Kabobs from the August cover. They still tasted good, but were a little rarer than I usually like beef. :)

RobinC
08-16-2001, 06:16 PM
I've been lucky enough to not actually run out in the heat of grilling. :D I have gone out to turn the grill on to get ready to cook dinner and found out I had not turned the grill off from the previous use. D'oh! *mental head smack*

Mamasue
08-16-2001, 06:56 PM
Great tip Tracey....I will pass it on to DH. Of course, he will probably say, "I knew that"! We also have a spare one but I believe that one is empty. :D

P.S. I just told DH the tip. He said, "Yeah, you don't need to weight it....it's etched in the metal on the handle part what it weights full and what it weights emply"! Baaaaa he thinks he is soooo smart!!!! :p :p :p to him

BosunsWife
08-16-2001, 07:02 PM
We use the run out in the middle of cooking method and we don't live close to a refill place. We end up finishing it up on the stove, under the broiler or in the oven.

We used to have two tanks, but when we moved this time the movers refused to move them even though they had been purged and certified. Broke my heart to have to ditch two perfectly good propane tanks (well, we gave one to FIL and one to a friend). We won't be buying another so I guess I try one of the mentioned methods to try and keep up on the propane levels.

Kjente2
08-16-2001, 08:47 PM
We have a very handy little gauge that is green when there is propane and turnes red as the tank gets emptier..we bought it at either home depot or the hardware store...works just great when you pay attention to it. My partner iin crime, aka DH, is responsible for this grill...He bought me a Weber to be in charge of.