PDA

View Full Version : Can I freeze baked beans?

testkitchen45
06-06-2009, 09:10 PM
I have leftover baked beans: CL's Blazin' Baked Beans, which start out with canned white beans. Can I freeze the leftovers w/o them getting too mushy? Thanks! :)

little_bopeep
06-07-2009, 01:13 AM
I think you will suffer some mushiness and watery-ness ( :D ), but nothing major. Question: Have you tried the Fiery Chipotle Baked Beans recipe, and if you have, which do you prefer?

testkitchen45
06-07-2009, 07:55 PM
No; haven't tried that recipe yet.

Any other opinions? Should I risk the mushiness of freezing, or give extra (I have a lot!) away to my neighbors? :)

Canice
06-08-2009, 12:47 AM
For me, I'd rather give away a quality product to a happy recipient than stick it in the freezer and hope for the best.

I've taken to making and freezing my "Perfect Pintos" but they start with dried beans, which may or may not hold up better to freezing, and when I thaw them I don't use them as I do when they're "fresh". That is, I put them in chili or casseroles, where the melded flavors and broken down fibers are a benefit. Could you similarly employ the baked beans?

zachary
06-08-2009, 04:34 AM
Sounds Interesting. I didn't hear before. Thanks for the sharing.

PattiA
06-08-2009, 06:19 AM
You'll never know until you try it. I dislike baked beans and never make them let alone freeze them, but I know a lot of people, including one person who sells her baked beans both fresh and frozen, who freeze baked beans with great results.

At the very least, I would freeze some of them and see if you like the results.

bbenedict
06-08-2009, 07:29 AM
I always freeze baked beans. I reheat the thawed beans in the microwave or on the stovetop. I never noticed any degradation.

Bonnie

potato_moose
06-08-2009, 09:59 AM
I freeze baked beans all the time, with good results. In fact, I have some in my freezer right now!

Ohioan
06-08-2009, 10:27 AM
I've never frozen baked beans, but I know stovetop-cooked beans usually freeze well.

Cheers,
Phoebe

Mpenny1001
06-08-2009, 02:20 PM
I always freeze my baked beans. I just made a big batch this weekend and froze in smaller portions to pull out for a quick side for weeknight dinners. I move them from freezer to fridge in the morning, and by dinner they are thawed enough to heat on the stove top or in the microwave.

Anne
06-08-2009, 04:43 PM
I freeze stove top cooked beans (from dry beans) with great results unless I overcook them to start with. If I end up overcooking them the freezing does make them mushy so they get turned into refrieds or foul or dip. If yours do get soggy I'm guessing that mashed baked beans would be a good topping for cornbread or could be used as a dip of some sort.

testkitchen45
06-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Thanks to all who responded. :)

I made two dishes of these baked beans, and only cooked the 9x13 (45 min @ 350) for the party--the 8x8 was still unbaked, just assembled. So I just stuck the 8x8 into the freezer now. As an experiment (hey, I didn't pick the name "testkitchen" for nothing ;) :D), I'll also freeze the rest of the leftovers in the 9x13 after our dinner tonight, & see how they do compared to the unbaked ones. Will post back eventually, of course.

testkitchen45
06-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks to all who responded. :)

I made two dishes of these baked beans, and only cooked the 9x13 (45 min @ 350) for the party--the 8x8 was still unbaked, just assembled. So I just stuck the 8x8 into the freezer now. As an experiment (hey, I didn't pick the name "testkitchen" for nothing ;) :D), I'll also freeze the rest of the leftovers in the 9x13 after our dinner tonight, & see how they do compared to the unbaked ones. Will post back eventually, of course.

Yesterday, I defrosted & reheated the leftovers, which had already received their 45-minute baking time b4 I froze them. They were great! I'm happy to report that this recipe has become yet another make-ahead. The beans seemed a little spicier, but I'm not sure how the chipotle could have intensified during freezing--probably the multiple reheats, but who knows. Anyway, wanted to share this success for others who want make-aheads. :)

helene
06-15-2009, 01:50 PM
I always do with great results also. I freeze my baked beans in Mason jars.