PDA

View Full Version : whole foods virgin...need suggestions

HedyL
06-11-2009, 08:35 PM
they put a whole foods in less than a mile from my inlaws in Paramus. i have a chance to stop there tomorrow...any suggestions for great things to get there? any "whole foods" brand items that are good? thanks.

Robyn1007
06-11-2009, 10:57 PM
I use Whole Foods brand of a lot of things if I'm shopping there. Canned beans, bulk bins, cereal, yogurt. I like the bread from their bakery or the sandwich loaves. Love the cheese bar (maybe a bit too much).

KAnn
06-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Oh, you will find sooo much fabulous stuff! The 365 olive oils are wonderful...I prefer the Greek but there is Italian and Spanish if you prefer those. Seaside Cheddar is fantastic. All of my flours are 365, too. Look for the dried papaya in bulk foods and the 365 organic potato chips and the 365 sweet potato chips. I am sure I will think of more!

Robyn1007
06-11-2009, 11:18 PM
Oh, yes, olive oils and balsamic vinegar.

Canice
06-12-2009, 01:15 AM
365 (store brand) organic pasta is excellent. Tubed tomato paste is very reasonably priced, ditto their tuna, butter (the organic variety came out top ranked by the SF Chronicle) and milk. I always buy their peanut butter (best peanut butter at the best price!) and jarred salsa. Beans, quinoa, cornmeal and other grains from the bulk bins, as well as nuts. Soy milk. Those are the store brand or bulk items I have on hand right now. That I can think of offhand.

KAnn
06-12-2009, 02:03 AM
365 (store brand) organic pasta is excellent....

I agree, Canice. I also like the 365 organic (and nonorganic)pasta sauces for quick meals. I love the 365 boxed oatmeal, too.

Jewel
06-12-2009, 10:13 AM
The 365 brand canned beans have the lowest sodium content of any canned variety I've ever seen. Totally guilt free usage of canned beans. :)

I also love their Cheese Bar!!

EmptyNestMom
06-12-2009, 12:08 PM
However, I believe that Bob posted a while -- a long while-- ago that many of the items at Whole Foods are actually from China...so read the label before you assume that they are organic in the USDA sense. However, that being said...

I really enjoy shopping there and my favorite things to buy are different kinds of cheese and fresh baked breads...and scented soap. I have bought both balsamic vinegar and Olive Oil from them. It's a fun store to browse through.

Jazzmatazz49
06-12-2009, 12:22 PM
All time favorite bread: Seeduction
I want some now but the nearest WF is 200 miles away. I'm heading there Monday and will have my seeduction then.

katygirl
06-12-2009, 12:31 PM
well certainly not exciting I always pick up a couple of bottle of 365 brand ketchup, it's much cheaper than Heinz's Organic variety. Also I grab 365 brand "spaghetti-o's" for our crazy nights.

Kahlico
06-12-2009, 04:54 PM
The cheese bar, and, even better, the bin with the odds and ends of cheeses. A little expensive cheese goes a long way, and feels like a bargain (okay, it's not) at $2.52 for a chunk of $25/lb French cheese. It's a nice, tiny splurge.

I second the 365 Organic Pasta and 365 butter.

Bulk oatmeals, cornmeal, polenta, lentils, beans, you name it.

If you're staring at an apple or other cuttable fruit not sure if you want to buy it, often a person working in that section will offer to cut you off a slice to try.

Have fun. I go there way too often, though I find myself spending less there than I do at TJs.

KAnn
06-12-2009, 05:00 PM
However, I believe that Bob posted a while -- a long while-- ago that many of the items at Whole Foods are actually from China...so read the label before you assume that they are organic in the USDA sense. However, that being said...

Very, very few actually...the only that I know of are frozen spinach, the frozen Chinese medley (or something like that) and pine nuts. All of the products have the country of origin on them...unlike Silk products, all the 365 soy milks are made USA grown soybeans.

Robyn1007
06-12-2009, 07:00 PM
The cheese bar, and, even better, the bin with the odds and ends of cheeses. A little expensive cheese goes a long way, and feels like a bargain (okay, it's not) at $2.52 for a chunk of $25/lb French cheese. It's a nice, tiny splurge.

One of the downfalls of my new job is that I'll be moving and I won't be a mile from the nicest Whole Foods in Colorado and the only one that sells wine. Maybe as part of tonight's celebration I should wander down there for some cheese from the bargain bin. I do love that bin!

charley
06-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Seaside Cheddar is fantastic.

Saw that today and almost bought it. I will next time, lol.

Love the Drunken Goat cheese. Learned about that here.

The produce department is heaven on earth. Some prices are more reasonable than others.

LaBrea Bakery (http://www.labreabakery.com/productC.aspx?c=36) frozen demi baguettes ... dh loves 'em.

The fresh bakery has the best bread! The French boules are a bargain when they're only 99 cents!

Oka's Miso dressing (http://misodressing.com/).

Earth Balance Organic Buttery Spread (http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/#/products/) ... I like to use butter, but the Earth Balance is a good substitute.

Miso Mayo (http://www.misomayo.com/)

American Flatbread Pizzas (http://www.americanflatbread.com/frozen-flatbread/varieties/)

Love some of the citrus soaps.

Gecko
06-12-2009, 08:27 PM
I was so excited for Whole Foods to open here until I found out that they mark every product up by 30% because it has to travel to Hawaii :( :mad:

punkrawkchef
06-12-2009, 10:56 PM
All time favorite bread: Seeduction
I want some now but the nearest WF is 200 miles away. I'm heading there Monday and will have my seeduction then.

Holy crap that bread is amazing! I get sad when they are all out!! Soo good!:cool: