PDA

View Full Version : Pampered Chef Sandwich Cutter

katygirl
06-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Does anway have one of these? Do they work well? My goal isn't so much to avoid crusts, which my kids like, but I'd like to make her some homemade "uncrustables" as she has major envy of her cousins who get them all the time. Thanks for any reviews!

http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_products/catalog/product.jsp?categoryCode=CE&productId=33

jillybean03
06-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Hi there - My impression is that you would have quite a bit of waste with that tool. I have picked up some dinosaur and heart shaped cutters that cut 2 halves out of one sammy, with only the crust being "eliminated". I googled "Dinosaur Sandwich Cutter" and came up with several similar items at Amazon. i have seen these at the local grocery store, Sur La Table, Kitchen Outlets, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=dinosaur+sandwich+cutter&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3283330937&ref=pd_sl_70lmjglkww_b

zwieback
06-16-2009, 11:16 AM
I haven't tried the Pampered Chef tool, but before plunking down the $9, I'd probably try a round cookie or biscuit cutter. I think if the bread is soft enough, it should "seal" the edges of the sandwich anyway. I also have a round cutter with a jagged edge that would make a similar design as the Uncrustables. If you have anything like that, I'd give that a whirl first. Not that $9 is a huge amount, but it you already have something that could do the job.....

mrswaz
06-16-2009, 11:29 AM
I have one. :) It used to get a lot of use when my kids were younger. The only issue I had with it was that you had to be careful spreading your ingredients- you needed to keep them to the inside of the sealer, or the sandwich wouldn't seal quite right.

The sealer works well with grocery store bread- the kind that's very springy. It doesn't work so well with homemade bread- that usually ended up cracking more than sealing and looking cute and nice like an uncrustable.

And lastly, if your kids are older, there is no way one homemade "uncrustable" is going to be substantial enough. If you overfill the middle, the crust cracks, so all told, I would say I would end up with maybe a tablespoon to a tablespoon and a half each of PB & J on the inside of the sandwich.

All that being said, I think it does work as advertised, but there is a bit of a learning curve to figure out the best way to assemble the sandwich.

ETA: I don't use mine for sandwiches anymore, but I do use the cutter tool when I make pierogi at Christmas time. The circle diameter is the perfect size for the best pierogi- it is bigger than a standard circle or biscuit cutter, and I love that about it. For that use alone, it was worth the $9 to me.

funniegrrl
06-16-2009, 11:49 AM
I can't imagine spending $9 on something that I could make out of an empty tin can.

karen w
06-16-2009, 04:14 PM
I had one, but finally got rid of it. The only reason that I originally purchased it was because my DH made me when I went to a PC party years ago!! He had nostalgic memories from childhood when his mother made him "toastite" sandwiches. Not sure what they are, but apparently it was a similar gadget to this. I used it (rarely) when the kids were younger, but I had several issues with it. #1my kids LIKED crust and this was such a waste of bread #2 the bread had to be very soft(wonder-like) for it to work well and #3 you could not put much filling between the pieces of bread without getting issues with cracking bread or sealing problems.

Save your money. . . that's my 2 cents!

Karen

blazedog
06-16-2009, 04:30 PM
I had one, but finally got rid of it. The only reason that I originally purchased it was because my DH made me when I went to a PC party years ago!! He had nostalgic memories from childhood when his mother made him "toastite" sandwiches. Not sure what they are, but apparently it was a similar gadget to this. I used it (rarely) when the kids were younger, but I had several issues with it. #1my kids LIKED crust and this was such a waste of bread #2 the bread had to be very soft(wonder-like) for it to work well and #3 you could not put much filling between the pieces of bread without getting issues with cracking bread or sealing problems.

Save your money. . . that's my 2 cents!

Karen

No NO NO!!! This is NOTHING like a Toastite sandwich :D

Here is a link to an ode to the Toastite

http://jujube.typepad.com/jujube/2007/01/still_life_with_1.html

I think the first thing I ever cooked was a grilled cheese Toastite and it was a major major treat when I hauled it out for slumber parties for my nieces. Major treat because butter, white bread and full fat cheese aren't a steady part of their diet.

I still have it at the very back of my bottom pantry closet -- The crispy edges, the buttery crusty top and bottom -- the oozing cheese. I guess a panini press is an upscale means to the same end. :p

karen w
06-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Blaze,

Sorry I be-littled your coveted "toast-ite" sandwich!!:D I'll have to put the blame on DH for this one as I had never heard of the thing until marrying him. Looking at your link, that does look to be about what he described to me. I'll have to forward the link to him. . . of course, I may either have to wipe the drool from his chin as he sleeps tonight or worse yet. . . have to make him one!!!:eek::p On second thought, maybe I should just keep this one to myself!! Anyway, hope it is the toastite maker that sits at the bottom of your pantry closet today and not a moldy green sandwich!;)

Take care,
Karen

P.S. I still would not get this PC gadget. . . perhaps the toastite thing-a-ma-jig was just more adept at making a superior sandwich.

hlao23
06-17-2009, 11:07 AM
No NO NO!!! This is NOTHING like a Toastie sandwich :D

Here is a link to an ode to the Toastie

http://jujube.typepad.com/jujube/2007/01/still_life_with_1.html

OMG I LOVED these! We used to cook pizzas over the campfire when I was in Girl Scouts.

sneezles
06-17-2009, 12:28 PM
We used to cook pizzas over the campfire when I was in Girl Scouts.

'Cept we called them pie irons.

I_luv_2_bake
06-17-2009, 12:48 PM
LOL ~ DH's family calls them Pudgy Pies.

I think I have one of those PC cut-n-seals. I don't know if I EVER used it.

EmptyNestMom
06-17-2009, 02:43 PM
I used to sell pampered chef and many people would buy them and when I would talk to them later they would tell me they got used a couple of times and not ever again. My recommendation would be to save your money...

bobmark226
06-17-2009, 04:36 PM
My recommendation would be to save your money...

And use a tin can. :)

Bob

sneezles
06-17-2009, 04:43 PM
And use a tin can. :)

Bob

But what size, #3?

LakeMartinGal
06-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Toastite -- we called them pie irons! Used them at our cottage to make pizza sandwiches! It's one of the few things my cousin took from the cabin!

DanaSD
06-17-2009, 06:31 PM
we have one and I use it for my son. A cookie cutter would just cut the bread, this seals the ends together. I use it because it keeps a jelly sandwich from becoming messy. Also, without it my son would take the 2 pieces of bread apart. It works really well (as do most pampered chef products).

Hammster
09-15-2009, 06:10 PM
Reported...