PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one to get perms?

TieKitty
07-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Being a newcomer here I called an Aveda salon for a cut and a perm. I've used Aveda salons for 15 years. When I told the receptionist I wanted a perm she sounded like I must have 2 heads. She said they don't do that many perms and said it would take 2 hours, plus another hour for the cut.:eek:

I know I'm getting old, but am I really behind the times? My hair is very straight and has no body whatsoever. I can't imagine not having anything in my hair.

Canice
07-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Gosh, I haven't had a perm in 20 years. Come to think of it, that was probably the last time I smelled smelled perm solution.

swedish cook
07-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Sorry I can't help you with a salon name - but Dallas still does BIG HAIR so help should be available. Incidentally, I just discussed it with the girl who gives old me my "crew cut" and she said perms are certainly decreasing in numbers.

kaygee1
07-21-2009, 12:33 PM
I absolutely love the big kinky curly hair look. I guess 'cause I have straight hair & have always wanted curly hair. I'm certain that if I did have curls, I'd own 3 different hair straighteners... :rolleyes:

I think you should go for what suits you/your face. Have you tried layering your hair for more body/volume?

blazedog
07-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Perms are pretty uncommon -- I don't know of anyone who still gets one.

Straight hair is still very fashionable.

I think most women seem to go with a cut that maximizes their hair's potential rather than a perm. Perms actually require a lot of upkeep to look well because as they grow out, one gets the flat look and the permed rest of the hair. They are also far from wash and wear since they need to be set or blown dry or the hair gets weird looking -- at least in my experience.

Have you gone to a hair stylist and discussed getting a cut that works with your hair texture -- there are products that also increase body and volume.

donleyk
07-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Gosh, I haven't had a perm in 20 years. Come to think of it, that was probably the last time I smelled smelled perm solution.

:D this reminded me of how I would come home from getting a perm and my cat felt the need to bathe me because of the smell. :eek:

It has been quite a few years now since I've had one. I have pretty straight hair and just go for a little volume now. And I agree with the other posters. A good stylist will give you a cut much easier to deal with without the cost and time. Good luck!

TieKitty
07-21-2009, 01:01 PM
The last time I wore my hair straight was in the 70's. DH calls it my "earth wench days". I'm so afraid of trying a new stylist. I know the hair grows out, but in the meantime.......

Well, maybe it's time I give it a try. It would sure save a lot of money.

AzAnne
07-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Count me in the minority of Perm'd hair people.

I have straight - fine hair.
Ive been going to the same stylish for 18+ years and we have tried dozens of different styles & cuts to avoid the whole perm thing. Nothing so far has worked.

My perm is for body, she uses the larger rods, upkeep it's an issue and I usually get one twice a year. I can blow dry, use a curling iron, rollers or just air dry and fluff.

The appts do take longer than just my usual cut and style, perhaps 1 1/2 - 2 hrs.

Advancements in the products have lessen the smell considerably. DH will actually sleep in the same bed with me :D without suffocating or gagging :p

SusanMac
07-21-2009, 02:20 PM
I don't know anyone who gets one anymore. I have fine, super straight hair and absolutely love that this style is finally back in! (at least for a while)

Highlighting your hair will give it some body. Not curls, of course, but it absolutely helps prevent my hair from having the wet rat stringy look (which for some reason looks sexy in magazines, but never on me!)

You'll probably look younger, too! Try something new...go for it!

kwormann
07-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Actually, curl and wave are coming back in. I have a sight wave to my hair and would like it to be curlier, so a couple of years ago I got a perm. It helped my "learn" how to lay the way I wanted it to and with some practice and decent product I havent needed one since.

I am going to try to attach a photo of my hair
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2498/3744001484_a913d13b79.jpg?v=0

actually its of me ;)

Ok lets see... ok - we were sitting in front of a fan, so it was getting blown, but you get the idea. It doesnt take me much work and I havent had a perm in almost three years now.

JackieO
07-21-2009, 08:37 PM
I was at my 35th HS reunion last weekend :eek: and someone had a photo of me taken in 1982 with a short, curly perm ( similar to the same hairstyle my mother has had for the last 60 years! :eek::eek:). Back in the late 80s, I had longer hair with more of a body perm, but starting in about 1990, I gave up perms for highlights/semi-perm dye to cover the gray and just let my naturally straight hair be, well, straight. Did the hot roller thing (and actually still do) to avoid the stringy look. With today's products and a good hair dresser, my advice would be to ditch the perm and go for a wash and wear style, or at least a short "do" with a few primps. I'll admit my hair looks better here in the winter when the humidity is low than in the summer, where it just goes limp. But one chemical process (dye), is all I want to subject my hair to.

FWIW.

MaryMac
07-21-2009, 09:36 PM
I was also a perm queen back in the day, I go to Aveda salons and they do have products to give your hair what you're looking for. Possibly you just need to find another salon. I now just highlight my hair to give it the body/lift I need and, yes, my hair is fine and straight. My stylist has talked about products to provide wave. If you like Aveda products, stop in at an Aveda store at the mall and ask them if they can recommend another salon...I was in the store last week and they were pushing a new hair system, but even she talked about a more permanent product.
The mall near my house has two Aveda stores that are not salons, but know of the salons in the area.

TLee4
07-22-2009, 09:18 AM
Count me in the minority of Perm'd hair people.

I have straight - fine hair.
Ive been going to the same stylish for 18+ years and we have tried dozens of different styles & cuts to avoid the whole perm thing. Nothing so far has worked.

My perm is for body, she uses the larger rods, upkeep it's an issue and I usually get one twice a year. I can blow dry, use a curling iron, rollers or just air dry and fluff.

The appts do take longer than just my usual cut and style, perhaps 1 1/2 - 2 hrs.

I'm in the same boat. I hate sitting through a perm but it makes my daily routine very easy. I tried to find a picture of me (my hair) to post, but apparently I only take pictures of my children. :rolleyes:
Terri

Kahlico
07-22-2009, 02:11 PM
TLee I was up in your neck of the woods not even two weeks ago. Howdy neighbor.

Weren't perms in for guys not so long ago, at least before the shaggy hair came back? My uber-stylish (male) cousin was perming his hair not too long ago. :D :p

From someone who has battled fine, limp hair her whole life (only to finally chop it all off to above the ears), go with what works for you, even if it's considered out of the norm. When I look back to my perm days, I don't see how I could have worn long hair then without a perm, and there's no way now I could pull off hair below my chin without one (hence the wacking my hair to my ears). I agree that you should call around and get some recs for salons who do perms (on a regular basis). You want to go to a place that does them regularly -- perms are no fun if they're botched.

TLee4
07-22-2009, 02:53 PM
TLee I was up in your neck of the woods not even two weeks ago. Howdy neighbor.

Weren't perms in for guys not so long ago, at least before the shaggy hair came back? My uber-stylish (male) cousin was perming his hair not too long ago. :D :p

From someone who has battled fine, limp hair her whole life (only to finally chop it all off to above the ears), go with what works for you, even if it's considered out of the norm. When I look back to my perm days, I don't see how I could have worn long hair then without a perm, and there's no way now I could pull off hair below my chin without one (hence the wacking my hair to my ears). I agree that you should call around and get some recs for salons who do perms (on a regular basis). You want to go to a place that does them regularly -- perms are no fun if they're botched.

Hi there!
You should post a picture of your hair..maybe I can get some good ideas!
Terri