PDA

View Full Version : More To Love AKA "The Fatchelor"

KristiB
07-29-2009, 08:48 AM
I have no idea why I tuned in. I guess morbid curiosity overcame my aversion to the previews, which seemed demeaning to the contestants. Like, "See fat@ss, you TOO are deserving of love!"

It was worse than I anticipated with girls crying about their weight and calling the guy noble for dating them. Ummmm he's over 300lbs himself so it's kinda saying fat people deserve love with other fat people.

And you would have thought they were all horribly disfigured to hear them prattle on about wanting to loved for what's on the inside blah blah blah blah...:rolleyes:

The worst part was the prominent display of each girl's weight and height in the caption under their names. Like OMG she's 200 lbs and she's on a dating show!

Oh and I love how he gave them diamond rings but took them away from the girls he didn't pick.

Miss Giggles
07-29-2009, 09:13 AM
I didn't like it. I can see the point they were trying to make but I don't think this show will help them do it.

Troublet
07-29-2009, 09:22 AM
Yep, I refused to watch that show based on the commercials alone.

Jewel
07-29-2009, 09:38 AM
I watched, mainly because it was created by the creators of The Bachelor and that show is a guilty pleasure of mine.. but I was not impressed. Being overweight myself I can identify with the stereotype, but I didn't like how it was portrayed. The whole premise of the show was supposed to be treating overweight people like so-called 'regular' people, but they spent the entire show calling attention to the overweight. :confused:

I also got tired of the weight captions and the women crying over never being on a date before, and wanting to find true love. I honestly did like Luke, their batchelor, but didn't really see one woman that I thought showed the maturity and confidence level that he portrayed in himself. It was a real disappointment and I probably won't watch again.

JJ40
07-29-2009, 11:01 AM
I too watched because I am of a fan of the Bachelor (hello, my name is Julie and I have a problem....)

I was really disturbed by the show. I found it highly exploitive (more so than the regular Bachelor). The emphasis on the womens' size bothered me and when I saw the previews for upcoming episodes where they throw 'the prom the women never had'...it's just setting these women up for anxiety, hurt, and pain. Of course, their expectations are going to be high and obviously he can only pick one woman so the other 19 are going to get hurt. When you've had difficulty dating or have never dated and then you finally meet a man who is open-minded, your hopes are extremely elevated. I can't quite pinpoint it but I feel like these women are very much being taken advantage of.

And I liked Luke in the beginning but when he started asking women to kiss him (on the first night!) I thought: get over yourself!!!

SusanMac
07-29-2009, 12:58 PM
I thought the commercials were horrifying and didn't watch b/c of that. But tuned in here to see everyone's opinions. Sounds like the whole show was even worse.

I agree that having the whole show play on their emotions & insecurities about being overweight is terrible, but I can't really say they're being taken advantage of. Each participant had to know what they were getting themselves into.

Hopefully this one doesn't go beyond one season! (although, of course, they'll have to do an obligatory Bachelorette style version)

armel
07-29-2009, 06:15 PM
I haven't watched it. But I always wonder about the editing on these. I mean, maybe the girls had one gab session about weight and their trials. And somehow, that keeps getting edited into the entire thing. They may be having a great time for most of the time span, but the folks putting on the TV show can edit it to spin however they like.

Robyn1007
07-29-2009, 07:32 PM
I agree that having the whole show play on their emotions & insecurities about being overweight is terrible, but I can't really say they're being taken advantage of. Each participant had to know what they were getting themselves into.

Exactly this. It's not like they haven't seen or heard about the Bachelor. They are not victims in this.