PDA

View Full Version : Share Your Favourite Peach Crisp

Kiwismommy
07-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Our beautiful Niagara peaches are here and I have offerred to take a dessert to my cousin's this weekend and thought a Peach Crisp would be the way to go.

I'm totalling overwhelmed by all of the ones I've seareched on the internet.

Please share your favourite recipe.

Linda in MO
07-30-2009, 12:07 PM
This is to-die-for!

* Exported from MasterCook *

INDIVIDUAL TOFFEE, PECAN, AND PEACH CRISPS

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Dessert

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Filling:
6 cups frozen sliced peaches (about 2 1/2 pounds) -- thawed (I used 9
FRESH peaches)
3 tablespoons sugar (I used light brown sugar)
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (I used lemon juice)
Topping:
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup packed golden brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt (I used kosher)
6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter -- (3/4 stick) cut
into pieces (I only used 4 T. unsalted
butter)
3/4 cup English toffee bits (such as Skor)
1/2 cup pecans -- coarsely chopped
Vanilla ice cream

For filling:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Place six 1 1/4-cup ramekins or custard cups on large baking sheet. Mix peaches, sugar, and lime juice in large bowl to blend. Divide filling among ramekins.

For topping:
Whisk flour, brown sugar, and salt in large bowl to blend. Using fingertips, rub in butter until mixture holds together in clumps.
(I did this in my food processor)
Stir in toffee and pecans; sprinkle over filling.

Bake crisps until filling bubbles and topping is golden brown, about 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream, if desired.

Makes 6 servings.

Bon Appétit
March 2002

NOTES : This was absolutely fantastic! My husband said he liked it better than the Brown Sugar Peach Pie with Coconut Streusel that I made last week and I have to agree with him. The pie was very good, but this just "wowed" us. I just baked the whole thing in a large oval corningware dish instead of using ramekins. It's supposed to make 6 servings, but I think you could easily get 8 out of it. All of my changes are in parenthesis.

This got rave reviews at epicurious (4 forks/100% would make again).
http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=106339

cakebaker
07-30-2009, 12:38 PM
I use this recipe for all types of crisps. The recipe is original except for the saute & ignite part which I borrowed from a recipe in a Los Angeles Times clipping I ran across perhaps 25 years ago. Other combinations I use are apples with raisins or dried cranberries instead of berries and pears with walnuts. (I usually ignite after adding raisins, cranberries or nuts, but fresh berries do not stand up to flame very well.)

FRUIT CRISP

Filling
6-8 cups sliced fresh peaches or nectarines
1 cup blueberries or blackberries
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. lemon zest
4 TBSP butter-I only use butter as it gives it better flavor
1/4 cup any alcohol-rum, brandy, whiskey or my favorite bourbon-Southern Comfort specifically

Crisp
1 cup AP flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 to 1/3 cup butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
dash salt

To make crisp combine flour, sugar, spices & salt in medium bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.

Melt 4 TBSP butter in skillet. Gently stir in sliced peaches, sugar and lemon juice and zest. Saute a few minutes until the peaches just begin to soften and most of the liquid is absorbed. Add alcohol and ignite. Gently stir in berries. Remove from heat when most of the alcohol is absorbed. Place mixture in 8x11 buttered baking dish. Cover top of fruit loosely with crisp topping. Bake at 350* about 45 minutes or until the topping is brown and fruit is bubbling. Can be served warm or cold.