PDA

View Full Version : Dessert Suggestions for a Crab Feast

jtoepfert100
08-25-2009, 10:48 AM
A friend of mine is having a rooftop crab feast on Friday. I volunteered to bring a dessert but I'm having trouble coming up with something. I'm thinking something citrus, maybe key lime pie bars or a lemon tart but it needs to be something I can make the night to work, haul to work via public transportation the morning of and take over there after work. Nothing is grabbing me.

Any suggestions?

purplefishy
08-25-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm not sure if this is something you'd be interested since its not citrusy, but when I think crab feast, I think of a pretty informal summer gathering (newspaper-covered tables, mallets, up to your elbows in crab, etc. :) ) and I would think something like watermelon and texas sheetcake would be wonderful. The watermelon would help cool the fiery lips after all the Old Bay, and then the Texas Sheetcake, well, its chocolate so you can never go wrong with that in my book, but its not overpoweringly rich or heavy so its good for the summer. I can just picture you balancing a watermelon and a cake pan on your lap on the metro though -- not too easy. Perhaps you could cut up the watermelon ahead of time so you could put it in a travel containor.

Or you could do build-your-own strawberry and/or peach shortcakes. The cake or shortcakes could be baked ahead and would transport easily.

I can't think of anything citrusy at the moment that would do well without refrigeration for a while but I'm sure someone here can!

Enjoy your crab feast!! Maryland blue crabs are my favorite food in the whole world!!

EmptyNestMom
08-25-2009, 11:20 AM
I have never been to a crab feast (not too many fresh crab in Nebraska;)) but the thoughts I have are:

Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Peach/Mango Cobbler
Key Lime Pie with a raspberry type sauce (since I'm in a mango mood a raspberry/mango sauce -- hmmmm that might be good over a pineapple upside down cake???)
Lemon Bars?
Fresh fruit cut up with a coconut biscotti type cookie to go with it?

erin elizabeth
08-25-2009, 11:21 AM
If you search Joe's blog listing of dessert recipes for the word "lime," you'll find a bunch of cookies that would be easier to transport than a tart or bars that need refrigeration. So many of them had me drooling, but these looked really good.

Glazed Lemon-Lime Cookies (http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/2005/05/glazed-lemon-lime-cookies.html)

Middydd
08-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Key Lime Pound Cake:

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/keylimepoundcake.htm

Cooks Illustrate Lemon Bundt Cake:

http://www.recipezaar.com/Best-Lemon-Bundt-Cake-247527

Cooking Light Margarita Angel Food Cake:

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=443485

Cake Bible Orange Glow Chiffon Cake:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Orange-Glow-Chiffon-Cake-105984

Any of these are great served with a bit of citrusy fruit salad.

margeslp
08-25-2009, 05:14 PM
Can't give you a dessert but suggest you not wear long sleeved blouse. I so enjoyed the crab fests in DC and Virginia but tablecloths were newspaper and elbows were indelibly stained. But WOW what a feast!

YorkieMom
08-25-2009, 05:16 PM
Since a bundt cake would probably be easy to tote, another suggestion is a key lime rum bundt cake that was posted on this board a few years ago. If you're interested, I'll try to find it. It was from a rum recipe book and someone had posted it, along with the popular Fantasy Island Fudge Rum Cake which we really enjoy making during the holidays.

YorkieMom
08-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Did a search and found Wendy's recipe that I mentioned above, but some of the measurements are missing (very strange). Every time I found this recipe mentioned on the board, the same thing happens. Any ideas what could cause this and if it can be rectified? I had copied this to my hard drive when it first appeared, but unfortunately computer crashed and lost all my recipes and I never made it. Don't mean to hijack this thread, but if anyone has it, could you please post it.

Rum-Kissed Key Lime Coconut Cake
From Tortuga Rum Fever and Caribbean Party Cookbook

� cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 tbsp grated lime peel
1 1/3 cup lemon or key lime flavoured lowfat yogourt
2 tbsp fresh key lime juice
3 cups flour
� tsp salt
1 � tsp baking powder
� baking soda
2 tsp ground ginger
� tsp ground coriander
1 � cups fresh coconut, finely chopped in processor
2 tbsp dark rum
1 tsp lemon extract
1 cup chopped pistachios or pecans

Preheat oven to 325 F. Spray two 6-cup Bundt pans or one 12-cup bundt pan with Baker�s Joy. Combine the coconut with 2 tbsp rum and stir to mix. Set aside. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, coriander, and ginger. In large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light. Beat in eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each, and then add the lime peel and lime juice. Add the flour mixture alternately with the yogourt, blending well after each addition. Stir in the lemon extract, coconut and nuts. Spoon batter into prepared pans and bake for about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool in pan 10 minutes, then invert onto serving plate and cool to room temperature. Frost or glaze with one of the following. Refrigerate several hours to let flavours blend.

foodfiend
08-25-2009, 08:24 PM
My first thought was lemon, esp. to perk up the tastebuds after all that crab! I love the CL Lemon Buttercrunch Bars. It's light, but tastes rich enough, and tangy. You could double the recipe for a crowd.

Yield
8 servings (serving size: 1 bar)

Ingredients
Crust:
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground mace or nutmeg
1 cup all-purpose flour
Cooking spray

Filling:
1 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
3 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 large egg
1 large egg white
Preparation
Preheat oven to 350�.

To prepare crust, place first 4 ingredients in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Lightly spoon 1 cup flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Add 1 cup flour to butter mixture, and beat at low speed until well-blended. Press crust into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350� for 20 minutes.

To prepare filling, place cottage cheese in a food processor; process 2 minutes or until smooth, scraping sides of bowl once. Add 1 cup granulated sugar and remaining ingredients, and process until well-blended. Pour filling over crust. Bake at 350� for 25 minutes or until set (the edges will get lightly browned), and cool. Cover and chill for 8 hours.

cookieee
08-26-2009, 12:12 AM
Did a search and found Wendy's recipe that I mentioned above, but some of the measurements are missing (very strange). Every time I found this recipe mentioned on the board, the same thing happens. Any ideas what could cause this and if it can be rectified? I had copied this to my hard drive when it first appeared, but unfortunately computer crashed and lost all my recipes and I never made it. Don't mean to hijack this thread, but if anyone has it, could you please post it.

Rum-Kissed Key Lime Coconut Cake
From Tortuga Rum Fever and Caribbean Party Cookbook

3/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 tbsp grated lime peel
1 1/3 cup lemon or key lime flavoured lowfat yogourt
2 tbsp fresh key lime juice
3 cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 baking soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 1/2 cups fresh coconut, finely chopped in processor
2 tbsp dark rum
1 tsp lemon extract
1 cup chopped pistachios or pecans

Preheat oven to 325 F. Spray two 6-cup Bundt pans or one 12-cup bundt pan with Baker's Joy. Combine the coconut with 2 tbsp rum and stir to mix. Set aside. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, coriander, and ginger. In large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light. Beat in eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each, and then add the lime peel and lime juice. Add the flour mixture alternately with the yogourt, blending well after each addition. Stir in the lemon extract, coconut and nuts. Spoon batter into prepared pans and bake for about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool in pan 10 minutes, then invert onto serving plate and cool to room temperature. Frost or glaze with one of the following. Refrigerate several hours to let flavours blend.

Here it is;)

jtoepfert100
08-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have citrus in mind because it's what I associate with a light dessert.

It turns out I may not have the time to make a dessert now but if I do, I'm leaning toward that Rum Coconut Cake or the Lime Cookies from Joe's blog.

EmptyNestMom - I am also considering biscotti because it is always such a big hit whenever I bring it. I'm just not sure it really goes well dunked in beer.:D

YorkieMom
08-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Cookieee, thanks for finding and posting the recipe for the rum-kissed key lime bundt cake.