PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried this Potato Salad recipe?

kate4
08-27-2009, 08:40 PM
My MIL raves about this recipe from Martha Stewart Livng, but I'm more a mayo-based potato salad person. Just wondering if anyone has tried this and what you thought. Thanks!

Potato Salad w/ Cornichons & Capers

Ingredients
Serves 4
2 pounds small red and Yukon gold potatoes, halved (quartered if large)
2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 1/3 cup)
5 cornichons, rinsed and sliced into thin rounds (about 1/4 cup)
2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Directions
Cover potatoes with water in a medium saucepan.

Add 2 tablespoons salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer until tender, 7 to 9 minutes.

Drain potatoes, reserving 1 tablespoon cooking water. Let potatoes cool slightly.

Make the vinaigrette: Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and reserved cooking water in a small bowl. Gradually add oil, whisking until emulsified.

Transfer potatoes to a medium bowl, and drizzle with vinaigrette. Add onion, cornichons, capers, parsley, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and the pepper. Using a large spatula, gently stir to combine.

First published: September 2006

dlaboriel
08-28-2009, 03:06 AM
Haven't tried this but it sure sounds good. Thanks for posting.

CoconutKisses
08-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Nope.. haven't tried it.. I like mayo-based potato salad too

cherylopal
08-28-2009, 10:57 AM
My MIL raves about this recipe from Martha Stewart Livng, but I'm more a mayo-based potato salad person. Just wondering if anyone has tried this and what you thought. Thanks!

Ingredients
Serves 4
2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt

Directions

Add 2 tablespoons salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer until tender, 7 to 9 minutes.

Drain potatoes, reserving 1 tablespoon cooking water. Let potatoes cool slightly.

Make the vinaigrette: Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and reserved cooking water in a small bowl. Gradually add oil, whisking until emulsified.

Transfer potatoes to a medium bowl, and drizzle with vinaigrette. Add onion, cornichons, capers, parsley, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and the pepper. Using a large spatula, gently stir to combine.

Another not yet! But with cornichons and capers, how could you go wrong! I printed a copy and hope to make this within the next few weeks. Oh and I prefer non-mayo potato salads.

kate4
08-28-2009, 02:09 PM
I think I may try it for my daughter's birthday party this weekend. So far I'm making:

Snacks:
Texas Caviar
Veggies & Dip
Something for the kids

Crockpot Italian Beef (from Linda in MO/CLBB)
Couscous, Tomato, Basil & Mozz Salad
Baked Beans
Fruit

Cupcakes for dessert

We'll see how much time I end up with. I'll report back I make it!

kjaxpink
08-29-2009, 09:26 AM
Here's the best potato salad I have ever made:

http://framed-mylifeonepictureatatime.blogspot.com/2009/06/potato-salad-with-bacon-and-parsley.html

cherylopal
08-31-2009, 06:35 AM

Ingredients
Serves 4
2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt **

Directions

I made this last night and DH and I really liked it. I made sure to have extra cornichons to munch on while the potatoes boiled :D

There was plenty of vinaigrette to sauce the potatoes- I was thinking that a bit of garlic sauteed kale or chard would be a yummy addition.

** I also cut back on the salt. I used 1 tablespoon when boiling the potatoes and a heavy 1/2 teaspoon when mixing. It tasted fine. I think it would be too salty with the amounts given.

kate4
08-31-2009, 08:23 PM
Just reporting back that I did make this, and we liked it. I still prefer my Mom's recipe for the mayo-based potato salad, but this is a much faster recipe to prepare and something different.

luv2cook
09-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Man, I am looking for a good potato salad recipe for this weekend. I have yet to find one I truly, truly love. :(

I really want a T&T, tho...my mom is coming in and we are going psycho hiking in this heat. Hope I don't kill my exchange student LOL

she has requested steak, tator salad and some othe stuff....sigh.......

cherylopal
09-01-2009, 04:16 PM
This is my absolute fave potato salad and my tried and true for years now. While I liked the one in this thread, this is still my fave.

Yukon Gold Potato Salad with Green Beans
Beyond the Moon Cookbook

You’ll never think of potato salad as boring again after you try this flavorful combination of tender Yukon Gold potatoes and crisp green beans accented by Greek olives and red onions.

8 -10 servings

8 cups cubed unpeeled Yukon Gold potatoes (2 2/3 pounds)
1 pound green beans (sometimes I add a bit more)
1 cup chopped red onion (1 large onion)
18 Greek olives, pitted and sliced
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin, 1-inch long strips (3/4 cups) ( I find that I prefer to just chop the pepper)
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon tamari
½ cup olive oil

Cook the potatoes in boiling water to cover just until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and cool.

Trim the beans, and cut them diagonally into 1-inch pieces. (You’ll have about 4 cups.) Steam until barely tender, about 5 minutes. Cool.

Gently combine the potatoes and green beans in a large bowl, along with the onion, olives, and red pepper.

Process the vinegar, garlic, salt, mustard, thyme, and tamari in a blender or food processor until smooth. Reduce the speed to low, and slowly pour in the oil.

Fold the dressing into the vegetables. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

halohalo
09-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks for posting this recipe. Sounds exciting to make and taste!