PDA

View Full Version : How much do you pay for a package of tortillas?

misskitty100
09-08-2009, 02:38 PM
The price of tortillas seems really, really high to me. I can't image they are expensive to make and they seem to have a lot longer shelf life than a loaf of bread.

With all that said, our local Safeway charges $4.99 for a package 24 tortillas that are bigger than a salad plate but smaller than a dinner plate.

Kate B
09-08-2009, 03:06 PM
I agree they're high-priced. I have a new favorite in La Tortilla Factory's wheat/corn blend tortillas. Our Fred Meyer (Kroger) has them on sale for $2.50 now, regularly $2.99, for 8.

I've tried to make them homemade a bunch of times with little or no success, so I'm stuck buying them!

Kate

Tiger
09-08-2009, 03:24 PM
They are expensive for what they are. They were on sale for $1.99 (normally $4.99) this week and I had a $1 off coupon so .99 cents was good. but I usually don't get such a good deal
My kids like to fill them with shredded cheese and eat them for lunch.

Canice
09-08-2009, 03:24 PM
I usually buy Whole Foods store brand. I think the prices are: $0.99 for 14 organic corn tortillas and $1.29 for 6 organic flour tortillas.

Gail
09-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Egad. Highway robbery!

I honestly didn't know how much tortillas cost. Since they've been a staple in my household as far back as I can remember, leaving them out would be like not buying onions. I just slap 'em in the cart. I GUESSED they were a dollar something for a package of 10 and apparently was right on. Ralphs is showing a package of 10 Guerrero Brand flour tortillas at $1.89. Those aren't teeny tiny, nor are they the burrito size (they're what I've always known as standard size.)

I will tell you, though, that I am far more incensed at the recent trend toward downsizing package sizes (10 instead of 12) than anything else.

mkc
09-08-2009, 04:02 PM
I *think* both the Central Market flour and whole wheat ones we buy are $1.99 for 10 or 12, maybe it's up to $2.39, but I haven't bought them in a year since I started making my own, which I find very therapeutic.

I do buy the corn ones at the supermarket because we like the Mission ultra-thin ones. I don't recall how much those are (they aren't stocked at the local grocery where we're camping here in Maine), but I think under $3 for 24.

Michelle

sneezles
09-08-2009, 04:26 PM
I had just thrown my receipt for the last package but I buy Guerrero but I doubt they are over $2/pkg 10 the smaller size has 16 but it's the size of a bread plate...good for breakfast tacos.

Canice
09-08-2009, 04:34 PM
How do you make your breakfast tacos, sneezles?

Gail
09-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Maybe, Miss Kitty, you want to start making your own...

(eyes rolling back into head over fond memories of my mom making tortillas when I was a kid.) We're so (un)Cuban.

Terri_A
09-08-2009, 04:43 PM
How do you make your breakfast tacos, sneezles?

I'm obviously not sneezles, but I sautee diced onions, bell peppers and tomatoes, then toss in the eggs to scramble into the veggies. I smear a corn tortilla with refried beans, top with the egg/veggie combo and salsa and voila! breakfast taco. I occasionally add sausage, chorizo or bacon, but never cheese.

sneezles
09-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Aside from the corn tortilla that's pretty much it unless I want con pappas and then I throw in some hash browns after the veggies have given up their juice. I actually prefer flour tortillas.

Hang on...always cheese!

Kate B
09-09-2009, 07:18 AM
I *think* both the Central Market flour and whole wheat ones we buy are $1.99 for 10 or 12, maybe it's up to $2.39, but I haven't bought them in a year since I started making my own, which I find very therapeutic.

Michelle

(hijack approaching -- sorry!)

Michelle - what is your recipe for making flour tortillas? As I mentioned in my previous post, I've tried so many times and found it anything but therapeutic :p. If you have time to let me/us know how you do it with success, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,

Kate

Sheila in MD
09-09-2009, 09:26 AM
I love FRESH corn tortillas (not even comparable IMHO to those packaged in the grocery store) and I am fortunate that we have a small mexican market near me that makes them....the first time I went in to get them, I asked for a dozen...they told me that the smallest amount they sell is 30 so I asked how much they were...$1.50!! Yes-of course I buy 30 at that price:-).

Sheila in MD

mkc
09-09-2009, 10:36 AM
(hijack approaching -- sorry!)

Michelle - what is your recipe for making flour tortillas?

Kate,

I use the recipe from this page (http://whatscookingamerica.net/CynthiaPineda/Tortilla/TortillaMaking.htm) She has good photos.

I found the key is to use as little flour as possible when rolling out, and in the final rolls let the tortilla stick to the counter. That way you get it really thin. I use a cast iron skillet or pizza pan at home but found a non-stick skillet worked fabulously here in the RV.

I also found a great recipe for whole wheat tortillas (http://www.recipezaar.com/Pipin-Hot-Bakery-Whole-Wheat-Tortillas-7417), too. I make them the same way - let them stick during the final rolling so they get really thin. I prefer to make 12 tortillas, not 8, with this recipe unless I want HUGE ones.

Michelle (100% Polish gal channeling my inner Mexican grandmother)

Kate B
09-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks, Michelle! I'll give them another try...

Kate

Casey1230
09-09-2009, 12:39 PM
The WalMarts here sell a brand called MiCasa (think that is the spelling) ... fresh corn tortillas, 36 in a pack for $1.49! They are great! Hard to find sometimes, but worth the hunt! Local store carries Mission fresh corn also, but not as good.