PDA

View Full Version : Help...rice cooker overflowing!

kate4
09-09-2009, 08:52 PM
I have the Cuisanart Rice Cooker/Steamer and have been having problems with the water overflowing. I've read the directions multiple times to see if I'm missing something. I'm only doing 2 cups, and I believe it is supposed to make up to 8 cups. I read some reviews on Amazon, and it looks like others have had the same problem. I'm wondering if anyone has this model and has had similar problems. Thanks for any advice.

josiahstaggs
09-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Are You getting a foamy overflow or whater overflow?

foamy overflow is usually caused by the high starch in rice. Try this: Add half the water at first and then wait about half way through the cooking process then add the rest of the water. ;)

ljt2r
09-09-2009, 09:19 PM
I know NOTHING about this but if the previous poster is correct, how much do you wash your rice?

dneilson
09-09-2009, 09:22 PM
This is easily resolved by adding a tbsp of oil. Do this EVERY time you make rice. Fat controls foaming.

Dolores

Canice
09-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Sorry to hijack, but Dolores: what is the solution for steel cut oats? Never had a problem with rice (different cooker) but the steel cut oats were foamy and stick and spewed out of the steam hole every time.
Use a neutral oil? In oats?

dneilson
09-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Yes, I use butter or coconut oil for anything that foams.

Canice, it could be several things. I'm not sure but it seems like your rice cooker is cooking oats at a rolling boil? I do think that's too "high". Can the heat be adjusted on your unit?

And you're using a 4-1 ratio oats to water, right?

Once absorbed by the water, porridge needn't be at a rolling boil. I make mine in a slow-cooker. I throw in water/oats/cinnamon stick/diced apple/raisins and pinch salt. Bring to simmer, then reduce to low. It's on low all night.

Dolores

dneilson
09-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Hi again,

When I have a question regarding grains, I trust Lorna Sass' expertise. I just found this 5 minute steel-cut oats recipe:

generous pinch of salt (optional)
1 cup steel cut-cut oats
pinch of ground cinnamon
1/2 cup milk

To make steel-cut oats:
Bring 4 cups of water and the salt (if using) to a boil in a heavy 2-quart saucepan. Stir in the oats and cinnamon. Turn off the heat. Cover and let sit overnight.
The next morning, stir well. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. If all the water has been absorbed, stir in milk (if using) or additional water. Cover and cook over low heat until the oats are tender, about 5 minutes.

On foaming....

In L. Sass' book, "Pressure Perfect" page 206, Lorna writes, "Place the limas in the cooker with 2 tbsp of oil (to control foaming) and 1/8 tsp salt."

Here is an excerpt from same book on page 173. Although it pertains to beans in a pressure cooker, I have discovered any foaming grain, potato or beans can be controlled this way.

1. Use approximately 3 cups of water per cup of dried beans that have been soaked: use 4 cups of water for unsoaked beans. The beans must be covered with water to cook evenly, but don't fill the cooker more than halfway.
2. Add 1 Tbsp of oil per cup of dried beans. The oil prevents foaming.....

I would be curious if Beth Hensperger and Victoria Wise have written similar in their popular rice cooker/pressure cooker cookbooks regarding foaming.

Dolores

ljt2r
09-10-2009, 11:39 AM
While I have no doubt that oil prevents foaming, I would not use it in any rice where the rice SHOULD be starchy or sticky, i.e., jasmine rice, sushi rice, Chinese rice... I would think it would prevent the sticking that you want.

kate4
09-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Thank you for the tips! And I was going to try steel cut oats this weekend, so I'm glad that came up too.