PDA

View Full Version : Deep freeze died!

Hollie
09-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Now the saving grace is; I have an extra which I just
cleaned and plugged in. I had gone in the other one
to get meat out for supper. The meat is still frozen
but the juices were thawed out. Veggies 3/4 frozen.
How long do you think the empty one will take till it
gets cold? Or how long do I dare leave the other?

Robyn1007
09-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Can you get some bags of ice in the old one while the new on gets cold? Definitely open the door as little as possible though. Couldn't fathom a guess on how long to chill the new one.

Hammster
09-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Is the broken one an upright or chest freezer? If chest freezer, you still have a good day as long as you don't open the lid. It's likely you will get some refreeze burn on some of the items, but that's better than throwing it all away. And the one you just plugged in, chest or upright? Again, keep the door/lid closed. I'd think you'd be good to go on that one within a day.
All bets are off as far as times if these freezers are in a hot garage.

Terri_A
09-27-2009, 10:03 AM
I recently defrosted my upright freezer in my garage. It had a huge chunk of ice frozen in the bottom as a little leftover present from Hurrican Ike. =) It took about a day to refreeze it once I plugged it in. It is in a hot garage, but is also built to live in a garage and has more insulation than the average freezer. Still, I'd bet a day will do it.

Hollie
09-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks. They are both chest freezers. Now the ironic
part is, the one that just died is over 10 years old, last
week I'd thought of retiring it and starting the spare which
is newer to see if it was more energy efficient! But I wan't
in the mood for moving a full freezer though I have 100 pounds
of cranberries ordered coming fresh from the bogs this week!
I thought what timing. The old is full and I just dumped my
icemakers worth of ice on top. So I'll leave the lid shut and
wait for the other to get cold.

Hammster
09-27-2009, 10:19 AM
I'd like to suggest you get a freezer thermometer (or use the one you already have ;) ) to determine when the freezer is cold enough to transfer the food. And also to monitor the temp when in normal usage.
Also, be prepared to rewrap some food items as those juices seem to find their way out of the packaging they are in.

Hammster
09-27-2009, 10:21 AM
It is in a hot garage, but is also built to live in a garage and has more insulation than the average freezer. Still, I'd bet a day will do it.

Terri, what brand and model of freezer do you have? I've never heard of one built to live in a garage. Great idea!

Hollie
09-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Thank you all. Mine is actually in the garage also.
I'm in IA and it's 50 degrees. We've had them in the
garage for several years and it hasn't been a problem
being out there!

Gumbeaux
09-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Terri, what brand and model of freezer do you have? I've never heard of one built to live in a garage. Great idea!

Terri mentioned it in a thread that you posted in. Remember? :)

http://community.cookinglight.com/showpost.php?p=1280264&postcount=6

Hammster
09-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Terri mentioned it in a thread that you posted in. Remember? :)

http://community.cookinglight.com/showpost.php?p=1280264&postcount=6

Apparently not since my post was before Terri's and I may not have gone back to the thread. :p :D Thanks for the link.

generic
09-27-2009, 09:44 PM
ACK! Brain fade! I must be REALLY tired. When I saw this thread I thought it was another RIP and I was trying to figure out what famous person was known as "Deep Freeze"!! :eek::D:o