PDA

View Full Version : Need dessert ideas for tonight...

Linda in MO
08-22-2001, 09:22 AM
My sorority always starts out the year with a rush party/salad supper and it's tonight. Everyone brings a different type of salad. I'm on the social commity, so I volunteered to do the desserts. I decided to do a cookie tray of sorts. So far I have made Easy Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies and Lemon-Cream Cheese Cookie Cups, which is probably plenty but I thought about doing one more thing. Any ideas? I've been leaning towards making a pan of apple "blondies". Oh, and on the lemon-cream cheese cookie cups I made my own lemon curd (full fat :rolleyes: ) and I'm omitting the almonds and going to garnish them with fresh blueberries. Also, I didn't measure my lemon zest, but I probably used about a Tablespoon. Of course I had to sample one last night and they are delish! I have a gadget from Pampered Chef that pushes your balls of dough into the mini muffin tins to make the cookie shells and it worked like a charm! It looks like a little mini wooden bar bell. You must keep it floured though or it sticks. I highly recommend it if you make a lot of mini tarts, pecan tassies, etc.

Here are the two recipes I mentioned above. I've made the peanut butter kiss cookies a million times and they are SO EASY and always turn out great. Definitely one of my old standbys.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Easy Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cookies/Brownies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups creamy peanut butter (1 lb. 2 oz. jar)
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 large eggs
36 Hershey kisses (from a 9 oz. bag), approx.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Stir peanut buter, sugar and eggs in a bowl until blended (it will be sticky).

With floured hands (I use a greased cookie scoop), roll slightly heaping tablespoonfuls into 1 1/4 inch balls (they can be bigger). Place 1 1/2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 12 to 15 minutes until cookies look dry and tops are crackled (don't over-cook).

Meanwhile, unwrap Hershey's kisses.

Remove from oven and immediately press a Kiss in center of each. Cool on cookie sheet 1 to 2 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool.

Store airtight in one layer up to 3 weeks. Not that they've ever lasted that long!

Makes 3-4 dozen (I usually get about 3 doz.)

NOTES : There is NO flour in this recipe. I think I like these best on air-bake sheets, because they don't brown on the bottom. If you want them to brown on the bottom just use a regular cookie sheet.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lemon-Cream Cheese Cookie Cups

Recipe By :Cooking Light YEAR: April 1999 PAGE: 169
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts , Low-Fat

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Dough:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter or stick margarine -- softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Cooking spray
Filling:
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 large egg
1 block light cream cheese (8 oz.)
Topping:
1/4 cup commercial fat-free lemon curd
1/4 cup sliced almonds

1. To prepare dough, beat 1/2 cup sugar and butter at medium speed of a mixer
until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg; beat well. Lightly spoon flour
into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add flour, baking powder, and
salt to sugar mixture; beat at low speed until well-blended. Wrap dough in
plastic wrap; freeze 15 minutes. Gently press dough into bottom and up sides
of 24 miniature muffin cups coated with cooking spray.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

3. To prepare filling, place 1/2 cup sugar and the next 4 ingredients (1/2 cup
sugar through cream cheese) in a food processor; process until smooth,
scraping sides of processor bowl occasionally. Spoon 1 tablespoon filling into
each prepared muffin cup. Bake at 350 degrees for 23 minutes or until edges
are brown and filling is set. Remove cups from pans immediately (I let them cool a bit before removing); cool on a wire rack.

4. To prepare topping, spoon 1/2 teaspoon lemon curd onto each cookie cup.
Sprinkle with almonds.

Yield: 24 servings (Serving size: 1 cookie cup).

Linda in MO
08-22-2001, 12:08 PM
Bump...

Peeps
08-22-2001, 12:17 PM
How about something chocolate, like a decadent brownie? Someone posted a heath bar brownie recipe recently that looked divine (not light though). Or if you're thinking blondies, there is an incredible White Chocolate Brownie recipe that I make all the time for gifts (I don't like white chocolate but people who do beg me to make these all the time so they must be good!) - the recipe is in Sarah Leah Chase's cookbook "Open House Cookbook" - I'm at work and don't have it with me and wouldn't be able to post in time but someone else might have it if you're interested.
Sorry I can't be more helpful, I wish I was home - I have tons of great brownie recipes!