PDA

View Full Version : November 2009 Pecan Pie Cover- CONFUSING!

Stephanie10
11-02-2009, 08:11 AM
I have made this pie using both options (once with brown rice syrup and another with dark corn syrup) and it has NEVER had the dark and almost chocolate looking filling like it does on the cover. Then on p.7 it talks about the dates in the filling but it never had any in the original version. Is this the correct recipe Cooking Light?
Also, I am sure that recipes are " fudged" a bit when they are photographed and I am certainly ok with that but it seems that this went really overboard. It would probably take 1.5 to 2 cups of pecans to get it to look like the pic on the last page. I wish Cooking Light would address this. The new editor should pay more attention.

zackaboo
11-02-2009, 08:23 AM
It can't be the same pie. Did you look at the picture posted online for the recipe? It is a totally different pie...very light in color. That does seem like a rather big mistake...

I did find a recipe for a pecan pie with dates...but it doesn't look like the one on the cover either.

Beth
11-02-2009, 08:26 AM
Maybe the background was lavender and the whole thing was darkened down? ;)

zackaboo
11-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Maybe the background was lavender and the whole thing was darkened down? ;)

Maybe that is it...:)

Regardless, page 7 does refer to dates, which are not part of this recipe. :rolleyes:

Elbows
11-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Huh. The pecan pie recipe that is linked in the November 2009 recipe index is for a November 2004 version :confused:

I also thought that the Walnut and Rosemary Loaves sounded familiar, and sure enough, it is from October 2002.

I don't have my November 2009 issue of CL yet to do anymore research, so this is all based on the online edition - I just got October's last Thursday :rolleyes: There seems to be a little note inserted next to the pie on the cover photo, but it is too small on my screen to be legible. When I get to the screen that lets me enlarge the image (recipe index), that note is conveniently cut off.

Oh, the mysteries of the new CL...

Beth
11-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Maybe that is it...:)

Regardless, page 7 does refer to dates, which are not part of this recipe. :rolleyes:

I don't generally do dates, so I can't say I'd miss them. Does make the recipe confusing. Maybe the 2009 recipe with dates didn't work out (looked dark and rich but tasted bad?) and they subbed the 2004 version at the last minute?

Sheila in MD
11-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Interesting...don't have my November issue yet but will certainly take a good look when I do! Has anyone emailed or called CL direct? Curious as to their response...likely get a quicker response that way than through the BB...but I might be wrong on that!

Sheila in MD

SusanMac
11-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Hi Stephanie - Just so you know, while the CL team manages this BB, they don't really utilize it as a main way to take specific complaints about the magazine or recipe. The BB is more about the readers communicating with each other. Messages often get back to the CL editorial team, but it's not a guaranteed thing. (even though the subject line of your thread should draw their attention!)

So, you might also want to drop them a direct email about this to ensure they see it. Hopefully main website has a 'contact us' menu option somewhere that is easy to find.

Stephanie10
11-02-2009, 01:56 PM
I agree but I tried emailing and calling about 2 weeks ago but no luck. So maybe this will bring it to their attention?

Chris415
11-02-2009, 06:16 PM
In perusing the issue, I noticed the cover's pecan pie recipe was very familiar. Yup, pulled out my pecan pie recipe from CL and it was the same exact recipe! And when I re-read the issue, noticed the note about the dates when describing the cover. Thought it was odd and a major oversight on the editing staff. Even more odd is this same exact recipe was on the cover back in 2004!

I felt reading the November issue was deja vu, as there were so many repeated recipes from years past. If I see another recipe for brussel sprouts and bacon... :rolleyes:
Chris

zackaboo
11-03-2009, 08:02 AM
In perusing the issue, I noticed the cover's pecan pie recipe was very familiar. Yup, pulled out my pecan pie recipe from CL and it was the same exact recipe!

Yes, but they never claim that it is a new recipe. That is why it is part of the "Recipe Hall of Fame". It is an old favorite.