PDA

View Full Version : How do you squeeze your lemons?

Jessica
08-23-2001, 11:39 AM
I'd always just done this by hand, and used a fork to get maximum juice from the lemons. I found that I was making so many dishes with lemon and lime that the juice was irritating my skin!!

I bought a yellow hand squeezer at Crate and Barrel; you put the lemon half in and then press down, like a garlic press. It splashes juice everywhere and I think I am going to return it. Anyone else have a good device/method?

TIA

mightyh
08-23-2001, 11:42 AM
I love my wooden lemon reamer, though I protested that it was a waste when DH insisted we get it.

SusanPC
08-23-2001, 11:50 AM
As a matter of fact, Pampered Chef® just came out with a new hand juicer. It has a clear 8-ounce base has easy-to-read raised standard and metric measurement markings and a nonskid ring on the bottom to prevent sliding. The straining feature can be selected on the reamer for no-pulp juices. It is $12.00. I haven't received mine yet but I have heard great things about it.

Jessica
08-23-2001, 11:59 AM
That sounds perfect. Can you buy Pampered Chef products without going to a party?

SusanPC
08-23-2001, 12:23 PM
Yes you can purchase without having a party. If you have a rep in your area just give a call and order through her (she can add on to a show and save you on shipping and handling). If you do not have one let me know and I can help you out.

lindrusso
08-23-2001, 12:41 PM
I use a stainless steel juicer like this one:

Can't get the image to load here, so here's the link:
http://www.cateringstuff.co.uk/catalog/im080032.htm

I like it because it catches all the juices in the little compartment below.

An aside tip: I also read that if you roll the lemon/lime first, you'll get the juice out easier.

aggie94
08-23-2001, 12:56 PM
I also have a wooden citrus reamer -- works great for me.

Shirley Panek
08-23-2001, 01:01 PM
I'm almost embarassed to say this, but I have an electric juicer. It's not a Juiceman, or anything - it's like a manual juicer, only when you push down, it turns automatically. (As a side note, however, I did not buy this for myself. It was my mom's and she gave it to me.)

mcraig13
08-24-2001, 07:44 AM
Try putting the lemons in the microwave for about 10 seconds before you juice them--by hand or with a reamer. I heard this tip on a couple of shows on the Food Network and it really does help.

JJ40
08-24-2001, 10:04 AM
I have also heard that you will get maximum juice if you bring the lemon to room temp, and roll on the countertop before juicing.

:)

Wendy w
08-24-2001, 10:15 AM
I put them in the microwave for about 20 seconds, roll them on the counter, then use the reamer.

ginny177
08-24-2001, 10:37 AM
I use lemons by the bag full ! My kids gave me a great electric juicer - looks like Lindrusso's but elec. I use the microwave trick to get maximum juice, but before juicing, I zest the rind and keep that in the freezer because I use a lot of that, too.

lisas3575
08-24-2001, 12:13 PM
I guess I'm the only one who thought 'Led Zepplin' when I read the subject... so my answer is "til the juice runs down my leg." :D :D :D
Sorry, couldn't resist!

Jewel
08-24-2001, 12:27 PM
Since I woke up with my mind in the gutter this morning, I see SO many possibilities here, from the subject to these different posts..but I'm gonna behave myself. :p

SandyM
08-24-2001, 12:31 PM
Ummm lets see, her DH has been gone for over a week, it's Friday night, she's making a special dinner........sorry gf, but we already know what you're thinkin........ :D

Jewel
08-24-2001, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by SandyM
Ummm lets see, her DH has been gone for over a week, it's Friday night, she's making a special dinner........sorry gf, but we already know what you're thinkin........ :D

Sounds like somebody's jealous... :p

Wendy w
08-24-2001, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Jewel

Sounds like somebody's jealous... :p

Play nice, you 2!!!

Go ahead Jewel, be baaad!!!

SandyM
08-24-2001, 01:38 PM
Wendy, ewe are too funny!!! :D :D :D

And <ahem> I always play nice.

Wendy w
08-24-2001, 02:02 PM
That was baaad but I'm sure I don't have to tell you that;) ;).

Pat
08-24-2001, 02:23 PM
I use a juicer that looks like the link that lindrusso posted except that the bottom is glass, the top is plastic and goes into the dishwasher==AND costs about 2 or 3 dollars at Wal-Mart. Has always worked great.

Jewel
08-24-2001, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Wendy w
That was baaad but I'm sure I don't have to tell you that;) ;).

If you two make any more sheep references I'm going to have to assume that behind those female user names lurks a couple of hunks of manhood... :p

Wendy w
08-24-2001, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Jewel

If you two make any more sheep references I'm going to have to assume that behind those female user names lurks a couple of hunks of manhood... :p

You are one sick puppy, but that's why we keep you.;)