PDA

View Full Version : Trying to download a book from my library, but having probs...

applecrisp
11-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Don't download many things, and don't have an IPOD etc...

I was looking for a book on my library website and they have hard copy on hand, as well as electronic version that you can download.

It says you need Adobe Digital Edition (for the Adobe PDF book) and the system requirements are Windows XP SP 2 (I have service pack 3), Int Exp 6 or higher (I have 7), and Adobe Flash Player 7 or newer (when I click on my programs, I have Adobe Reader 9 -- is that diff?).

When I click on control panel to see my programs, it says I have Adobe Flash Player 10 Active X, but it doesn't list any size info next to it, so not sure why its lised then).

Is the above why nothing happened when I tried to download Adobe Digital Edition (the download button was on library website)?

Dumb question alert, so is Adobe Reader and Player different? Not sure of their role.

Do I need to download Adobe Flash Player and then try to proceed. Or should I just grab my umbrella and go to the library.

Thanks.

AzAnne
11-14-2009, 01:36 PM
It says you need Adobe Digital Edition (for the Adobe PDF book) and the system requirements are Windows XP SP 2 (I have service pack 3), Int Exp 6 or higher (I have 7), and Adobe Flash Player 7 or newer (when I click on my programs, I have Adobe Reader 9 -- is that diff?).

Do I need to download Adobe Flash Player and then try to proceed. Or should I just grab my umbrella and go to the library.

Thanks.

You need to download the flash player from Adobe.
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
The reader and player are different.

Here is link for Adobe Digital Edition (http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/?promoid=DTEIO)

applecrisp
11-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Hi AzAnne -

Thanks for the help. If you don't mind, I have some questions. When I click on the link to download the Adobe Flash Player, and hit the ok to download button. It just sits there and nothing happens. (I went to control/alt/delete) and it ultimately says "not responding"). Same kind of prob I had when I was on my library website trying to download the software.

It my firewall or something blocking it. (I turned off firewall but no help).

Oh, and when I went to control panel to see what programs I had, and it populated the list, it says "Adobe Flash Player 10 Active X" but no size info listed --- so I guess I don't have it already, but no clue on why it is there.

Ok, I think I have a frozen milky way in the freezer...

Wind-swept rain here so didn't get to the library today.

Thanks so much!!

AzAnne
11-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Hi AzAnne -

Thanks for the help. If you don't mind, I have some questions. When I click on the link to download the Adobe Flash Player, and hit the ok to download button. It just sits there and nothing happens. (I went to control/alt/delete) and it ultimately says "not responding"). Same kind of prob I had when I was on my library website trying to download the software.

It my firewall or something blocking it. (I turned off firewall but no help).

Oh, and when I went to control panel to see what programs I had, and it populated the list, it says "Adobe Flash Player 10 Active X" but no size info listed --- so I guess I don't have it already, but no clue on why it is there.

Ok, I think I have a frozen milky way in the freezer...

Wind-swept rain here so didn't get to the library today.

Thanks so much!!

My first thought would be pop-up blocker .
Check out this troubleshooting steps (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html)on the Adobe site

Don't blame you for not wanting to leave a warm and cozy house and trudge thru the rain!

applecrisp
11-16-2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks again for your help. After some back and forth, I was able to download the Adobe Flash Player. I tried to download the digital edition (from the library website), had some issues and will try again. When I hit download, the screen went black.

Thanks again. Love the convenience of downloading a book so definitely want to at least give it a try.