PDA

View Full Version : Anybody make Struffoli?

cakebaker
12-01-2009, 02:05 PM
The plan is to make Struffoli for our annual Holiday Dessert Open-house, along with English Trifle, some sort of chocolate cake or torte, a Cappucino Cheesecake and assorted cookies.
Does anyone have a T & T Struffoli recipe? And if so, can you critique? I've been researching the net and the dough seems to fall into 2 categories: those with flour & eggs and those with flour, eggs, baking soda & butter.
I remember making these many times as a child/teen with my Mom & an Italian neighbor, but I don't have the original recipe.
TIA, Peggy

foodfly
12-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Growing up I watched my mother make Strufoli every Christmas. I found and used this recipe a couple of times decades ago & never found need to look for another. The recipe is special to me now because I remember this Strufoli tasting just like her's.

Strufoli
Source: Italian Cookery HP Books 1974

3 large eggs
1 T. creamed salted butter
½ T. sugar
½ tspn vanilla extract
2 cups sifted flour
½ tspn baking powder
8 oz jar honey (I always use Clover, as did my mother, and her mother before)
Oil for deep frying (vegetable)
Confettini (tiny candy sprinkles)

In a large bowl, beat eggs well. Add and mix in butter, sugar, and vanilla extract. In a small bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Add gradually to egg mixture. Knead until smooth on a large, lightly floured board. Cover. Let stand for 30 minutes.

Taking medium-size amounts of dough at a time on board, roll under palm of hand until rope-like or the width of a finger. Then cut into ½” pieces. Toss pieces in flour.

Meanwhile, in a deep fryer with wire basket, heat oil over low flame (My mother used a large pot filled with oil on the stovetop). Gradually and gently add a handful of pieces. Do not crowd pan. Stir constantly to avoid sticking. If sticking does occur, break apart gently with a fork. Turn them with a slotted spoon occasionally and cook until golden brown on all sides, being careful not to over brown.

Cut only enough dough to cook at one time. Repeat process until all dough has been used. When done, lift wire basket. Drain pieces on absorbent paper.

Melt honey in a deep, heavy aluminum pan over low flame. Add balls. Mix constantly with a long-handled wooden spoon just until balls hold honey and are well coated (3-3 ½ minutes – no longer or honey will caramelize). Transfer to doilied platters. Form (Pile) honey balls into mounds. While hot, sprinkle generously with confettini. Serve cool. Makes 2 large platters. (see note)

My NOTE: Takes over 48 oz. of fresh oil – unuseable afterwards. Cut dough small -- expands in oil. Cook oil @ #3 electric. Makes 2 regular dinner plate loads.

cakebaker
12-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks, Foodfly. I was leaning towards the recipes with butter & baking soda/powder in the dough. My neighbor when I was growing up put pignoli, walnuts or pistachios in hers along with the colored confetti, so I'll add nuts to one of the platters.