PDA

View Full Version : Work Group Holiday Outing - Ideas?

JenniferJJ
12-02-2009, 11:25 AM
My boss just sent out a meeting notice asking us to reserve a Monday afternoon two weeks from now for our get together. He is asking for ideas. Does anyone have any ideas other than bowling? He suggested that, but also asked for other ideas. It's not that I am against bowling per se, but I stink at it (as I do at most sports) and am against people watching how bad I am and commenting rudely after they've had a few drinks (which happened at another work bowling outing).

I don't see myself being friends with these people, but they are nice enough people to work with.

So, I am trying to find other ideas.

Shugness
12-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Two ideas - at previous employment we did two different things....first was go to the Barn & Dinner Theater in Greensboro. They have a buffet before the show, then remove all of that and a stage lowers into it's place, and they put on a Holiday Themed Show. It was fun and enjoyable. I've done research though and this type of thing isn't everywhere.

Second, the boss lady invited us all over to her home, where she made ham, and the rest of us each bought a covered dish. We did crafts afterwards, but it was all girls so it wouldn't work in your situation probably.

mcgee
12-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Not really knowing what your area has to offer, how about a group cooking class? Or just a nice luncheon out somewhere?

Hammster
12-02-2009, 06:12 PM
It's funny in that you ask this.
This particular example isn't really holiday themed, but something like this might work.
When my work email opened today what greeted me was an announcement that our Quality group is treating anyone who wants to attend to lunch and a movie on the 11th. Oh, and the best part is we will get paid for the 4 hours we won't be at work. Nice!!
We are going to see Blind Side. DW and I just saw it, but I'll enjoy it a second time. It's that good.

Romandub
12-02-2009, 07:20 PM
We've done a lunch movie combo for our group for several years and its' always a lot of fun.

MaryMac
12-02-2009, 07:59 PM
I see you're in MI, but not sure where. However in the Detroit area there is a place called Kart-to-Kart, it's an indoor Indy style go cart place. They actually do office events....my husband's group has gone there a few times and everyone had fun.

gobluem82
12-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Jennifer,
I don't know where in Michigan you're located, but we were out to visit my family in the NW Detroit suburbs over Thanksgiving, and we got together to play Whirlyball. It was a blast! It's good for "team building", plus there are lots of opportunities to ram people you might not get along with :D

hollysmom
12-03-2009, 05:22 PM
I have done the GoCart racing as a work activity and it was a blast!. Also you could look at one of those 'kid bounce' places. How often do adults get to bounce in those? Of course it would be better with beer....

SSM