PDA

View Full Version : Estimate Number of Ounces

bonnniexx
12-11-2009, 09:20 AM
How many ounces is two cups shredded cheese?

dreamer101
12-11-2009, 09:47 AM
A package of shredded cheese that weighs 8 ounces fills a 2 cup measuring cup.

Canice
12-11-2009, 01:53 PM
I would use 8 ounces as well, but I once did a little experiment with a recipe that gave both weight and volume measurement for two cheeses:

"1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmesan"
--> one half cup actually weighed 1-1/8 ounce

"1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
--> weighed 2 ounces

Kind of annoying, really.

avariell
12-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Kind of annoying, really.

I so agree with you. Weights/dry/liquid measures so often don't add up - it confuses the heck out of me.

Hammster
12-11-2009, 07:26 PM
I think it's very difficult to convert a volume measurement of shredded cheese to a weight measurement. It all depends on how you get the cheese into the measuring cup. If you sprinkle it, it will weigh one thing. If you scoop it, it will weigh more. If you pack it in, it will weigh even more.
As Canice shows, it can really vary. If you have a bag of shredded cheese, who knows how they came about their conversion of weight to volume.
I also wish the recipe writers/developers would put both types of measurements in the recipe (weight and volume).

Although I guess more cheese isn't such a bad thing eh? ;)

oct2189
12-11-2009, 07:37 PM
According to CalorieKing, 1/4 cup of most kinds of shredded cheese is 1 oz., except Parmesian, which is .8 oz per 1/4 cup

Canice
12-11-2009, 11:51 PM
I think it's very difficult to convert a volume measurement of shredded cheese to a weight measurement....
I also wish the recipe writers/developers would put both types of measurements in the recipe (weight and volume)....

I would argue that it's difficult convert a weight measurement to volume :D.
I sure wish they wouldn't include both; as noted above I found it of no help at all. Weight, weight, weight, like the rest of the world.

Hammster
12-12-2009, 05:57 AM
I would argue that it's difficult convert a weight measurement to volume :D.
I sure wish they wouldn't include both; as noted above I found it of no help at all. Weight, weight, weight, like the rest of the world.

I like having the combo of both so I can figure out how they arrived at the combo. But, I agree. If there can only be one, it should be weight.