PDA

View Full Version : have you ever had bugs in your bulgur?!?

mb
08-24-2001, 06:24 PM
i was just preparing the moussaka from sept. 99 and it called for cracked wheat/bulgur. i just added it to my delicious concoction of lamb, onions, garlic, and red wine, when i noticed that the bulgur was MOVING! :eek: even though i kept it in an airtight rubbermaid container, there were these little black bugs all over(bigger than weevils, almost like small flies!) i was totally grossed out, as i had never seen this before! how did those little fellas get in there?!?

luckily, i followed emilycat's advice to make half the recipe, so i just dumped the buggy stuff and started over with the other half of ingredients! i'm still itching all over! yuck!

Gail
08-24-2001, 07:21 PM
I'll see your buggy bulgur and raise you one wormy potato. (hordes of nasty little clear things, which looked like cellophane noodles, except they were moving.)

...(shiver, cringe!) That was many years ago, and it still sends shivers down my spine.

Beth
08-24-2001, 09:39 PM
NO, but I've had bats in my belfry! :D

And I had about half a million little moths in the bird seed today, so the birds were fed very generously, and I left the seed outside rather than next to the other container in the garage. I'm hoping the birds, racoons and possum will polish it all off this weekend so I can scrub the container and start over. Yuk! I think the critters are actually very happy when this happens. You think they plant the bugs? :D

Nirak
08-25-2001, 08:50 AM
I've had bats, bees, ants, worms YUCK. I think those moths in the birdseed will turn into little worms (or the worms turn into the moths or something). Keep a close eye on your pasta and other grains as I think the worms feed on starch. YUCK again. I regularly go through my pantry with an eagle eye looking for these things. There is nothing more disturbing than finding a critter when you are in the middle of a recipe.