PDA

View Full Version : can I freeze an appetizer with cream cheese

trisha
12-19-2009, 03:01 PM
I am going to make an appetizer of rolled proscuitto filled with a prune and cream cheese. Sounds weird but it is totally yummy.

I would like to make it tonight and freeze it for Friday. Can I freeze cream cheese? Or do you think it would go bad if I made it tomorrow and put it in tupperware to use Friday?

Thanks

Trisha

vabelle35
12-19-2009, 03:04 PM
The look and texture of cream cheese changes when you freeze and defrost it.

I don't recommend it if you're serving it to guests.

lindrusso
12-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Honestly, I would not do either. I think the texture of the appetizer would be very much effected by freezing. I've frozen cooked items containing cream cheese but I think the kind of appetizer you are talking about would suffer, and maybe not just the cream cheese.

I also would not do them tomorrow and keep until Friday - I think they might begin to weep and get watery or in some way suffer in texture. I don't think it would "go bad", but I doubt it would hold up well.

This is the kind of appetizer I'd feel comfortable making a few hours ahead of time, a day ahead at the VERY most, and that's about it. And I'm ALL about the make ahead. ;)

And your appetizer sounds similar to one I've made before - prosciutto, goat cheese, arugula and figs. Yum!