PDA

View Full Version : my Christmas day menu... your thoughts?

ctd1103
12-19-2009, 02:45 PM
This year we've decided to do simple foods, buffet style. So far on the menu, a baked and glazed smoked ham and a sweet potatoe casserole, plus my traditional meat pie. then after that all finger foods/apps. So far we're doing stuffed mushrooms (has anyone ever had PW's recipe?) shrimp cocktail and some kind of app with keilbalsa for my father in law, although I don't know what yet (I'll take any ideas here!) I was also thinking of doing a baked brie in pastry puff with raspberries and rosemary....
can anyone add to my apps - Im feeling a little short on choices... specifically looking for easy to make ahead apps, although, I'm willing to do whatever to put something to-die-for on the buffet table, too. TIA!

lantana
12-19-2009, 02:53 PM
I think some colorful veggies would look nice with your planned menu. We like this (http://find.myrecipes.com/food/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=222138)recipe, Antipasto Bowl from CL, which can be made ahead. One of the commenters recommended fresh vs. regular mozzarella, which would be good, too.

ctd1103
12-19-2009, 03:36 PM
I think some colorful veggies would look nice with your planned menu. We like this (http://find.myrecipes.com/food/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=222138)recipe, Antipasto Bowl from CL, which can be made ahead. One of the commenters recommended fresh vs. regular mozzarella, which would be good, too.

oooohhh that DOES look good! thank you!

Canice
12-19-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm wondering how many people over a period of how many hours?
Meat pie, ham, and sweet potato casserole seems pretty substantial to be followed by appetizers, but maybe it depends on how the day is planned out?

Cookin4Love
12-19-2009, 06:52 PM
I just made the Gorgonzola Fruit Torta posted on the Portable Appetizer request thread and it was amazing. The nice thing is, you can easily do it a day ahead, and it can sit out for quite some time and still be fine.

Gorgonzola Fruit Torta

16 ounces cream cheese -- softened
2 tablespoons butter
4 ounces Gorgonzola cheese -- crumbled
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup green onion -- chopped
1/4 cup parsley
1/2 cup dried apricots -- chopped
1/4 cup slivered almonds -- toasted

Cut up cream cheese and butter. Place in a food processor with Gorgonzola and salt and mix until smooth. Line an 8" by 4" loaf pan with foil. Grease with cooking spray. Layer the following ingredients in order:

Cranberries
1/3 cream cheese mixture
green onion and parsley
1/3 cream cheese mixture
apricots
1/3 cream cheese mixture

Use a small spatula greased with cooking spray to spread cream cheese mixture easily over other ingredients
without mixing. Cover and chill until firm. Turn uncovered pan upside down on a serving plate and remove foil very
gently. Top torta with slivered almonds. Serve with crackers.

ctd1103
12-20-2009, 06:06 AM
I'm wondering how many people over a period of how many hours?
Meat pie, ham, and sweet potato casserole seems pretty substantial to be followed by appetizers, but maybe it depends on how the day is planned out?

well, I suspect my in-laws will be down late morning and will stay thru until late afternoon. My thoughts are to have lite apps out when they arrive, cheese crackers, artichoke dip, before the ham comes out and the other "more substantial" apps. The only think I need to be sensitive too is that my FIL doesn't like cheese and wont touch anything that has it in any way... he's a typical meat and potatoes man, so I want to be sure I have enough stuff for him to eat, along with some interesting apps as well... like that delicious sounding gorganzola tart!

heavy hedonist
12-20-2009, 08:52 AM
This year we've decided to do simple foods, buffet style. So far on the menu, a baked and glazed smoked ham and a sweet potatoe casserole, plus my traditional meat pie. then after that all finger foods/apps. So far we're doing stuffed mushrooms (has anyone ever had PW's recipe?) shrimp cocktail and some kind of app with keilbalsa for my father in law, although I don't know what yet (I'll take any ideas here!) I was also thinking of doing a baked brie in pastry puff with raspberries and rosemary....
can anyone add to my apps - Im feeling a little short on choices... specifically looking for easy to make ahead apps, although, I'm willing to do whatever to put something to-die-for on the buffet table, too. TIA!

my honest thoughts on this are, where are the vegetables? it's all lovely, but an awfully meat & starch heavy meal, even for meat-eaters. And pickled veg to nibble on isn't really a stand-in for a real veg side dish. but, you know your family...
my family would always have at least one if not several vegetables along with this, and green salad.

ctd1103
12-20-2009, 10:02 AM
my honest thoughts on this are, where are the vegetables? it's all lovely, but an awfully meat & starch heavy meal, even for meat-eaters. And pickled veg to nibble on isn't really a stand-in for a real veg side dish. but, you know your family...
my family would always have at least one if not several vegetables along with this, and green salad.

well, you kinda hit the nail on the head...we're trying to avoid a "meal"-like christmas dinner, for a few reasons, and therefore, a buffet with substantial apps is just more suitable for our needs this season. usually I do a big sit down dinner, and my veg would be green beans with sauteed garlic/red pepper strips, plus a green salad to go with it. In addition to spinach pie. but we just don't have the space for a sit down this year (figure family has grown, in addition to sisters and sil's now bringing boyfriends.) sooooo, long story short, it's going to be much easier and less complicated to get away from the sit down and just do a buffet. Im doing the ham and sweet pot casserole so that there is something more there than just finger foods... Im sure my MIL will be bringing a veggie platter, so a good addition would be the steamed/marinated veggie antipasta salad... plus we're doing stuffed mushrooms.... do you think that'll be enough for the veggies? if not, any suggestions for veggie apps instead of veggie side dishes?

Missi
12-20-2009, 11:16 AM
some kind of app with keilbalsa for my father in law, although I don't know what yet (I'll take any ideas here!)

I would put some keilbalsa cut up with some sauerkraut in a crockpot. Put out some toothpicks and some mustard for dipping. Simple and yummy and will stay hot for snacking on all day.

I think your menu sounds great. This would be typical us if I were with my extended family.

RBarry
12-20-2009, 05:08 PM
I think your menu sounds scrumptious! Now I'd just like to have your stuffed mushroom recipe! (please!)

I'm going a little old school this year and adding a cheese ball. For some reason those bring back such great memories from when I was a child (I got a port wine one from TJ's). I always put out a tray of veggies, not only for the healthy option, but because the colors add a lot to the presentation. They always seem to be gobbled up, even by the pickiest of eaters. I also make a habit of taking a trifle dish and making a layered fruit bowl out of it. This is especially helpful for the kids, but adults eat it too. Plus, it looks pretty. I always do cheese and crackers with some good sliced salami.

In my experience, it seems to be that the most simple appetizers (cheese, meat, shrimp, fruit, crackers, etc.) are the ones that everyone devours. I guess because they know what's in them!

heavy hedonist
12-21-2009, 12:51 PM
well, you kinda hit the nail on the head...we're trying to avoid a "meal"-like christmas dinner, for a few reasons, and therefore, a buffet with substantial apps is just more suitable for our needs this season. usually I do a big sit down dinner, and my veg would be green beans with sauteed garlic/red pepper strips, plus a green salad to go with it. In addition to spinach pie. but we just don't have the space for a sit down this year (figure family has grown, in addition to sisters and sil's now bringing boyfriends.) sooooo, long story short, it's going to be much easier and less complicated to get away from the sit down and just do a buffet. Im doing the ham and sweet pot casserole so that there is something more there than just finger foods... Im sure my MIL will be bringing a veggie platter, so a good addition would be the steamed/marinated veggie antipasta salad... plus we're doing stuffed mushrooms.... do you think that'll be enough for the veggies?

oh yeah! that's another story?

ctd1103
12-22-2009, 12:20 PM
I would put some keilbalsa cut up with some sauerkraut in a crockpot. Put out some toothpicks and some mustard for dipping. Simple and yummy and will stay hot for snacking on all day.

I think your menu sounds great. This would be typical us if I were with my extended family.

so we're doing the keilbasa and sauerkraut (thanks for the idea!) apparently my husband and FIL love sauerkraut... my question, how exactly do I cook it? I bought a jar of fresh kraut and started looking up recipes... some add in's that are recommended are onions, apples, apple juice or cider, brown sugar.... do you have a specific reicipe that you use that you'd recommend??

Missi
12-22-2009, 12:50 PM
I have never really followed a recipe, but cut up the keilbalsa and added it to sauerkraut I put in the bottom of a crockpot. Cook on low until heated through. We always buy fresh sauerkraut rather than jarred because that's what we prefer.

Any of those additions sound yummy though, especially apples. Maybe I might add that next time.