PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with lox beyond toasting a bagel......

applecrisp
12-22-2009, 10:43 PM
I'm thinking of picking up a package of lox tomorrow ..... since I'm in the mood for a toasted bagel, lox, cream cheese, a slice of tomato, some onion. Top it off with some fresh orange juice. Ah, perfect. It is one of my favorite breakfasts and I haven't had it in so long.

Anyway, for some bizarro reason, I can only find lox at places like WF in packages. I can't think of any places that I can just buy a few slices.

Not saying I can't polish off a small package by myself, armed with a supply of bagels, but was wondering what some of you might do with it, other than the obvious bagel and lox? Oh, and if I decide to invoke some self-control, how long would the opened package last in the fridge. (ok, I'm laughing as I type that..... like that will be an issue -- but curious).

Thanks.

tbb113
12-22-2009, 10:55 PM
Scrambled eggs with lox in it is yummy.

And I'm pretty sure you can freeze lox

Canice
12-23-2009, 03:06 AM
This is only a variation on your bagel and cream cheese, but it makes a great spread when put in the KA or FP with lemon zest, fresh dill, horseradish, capers, a bit of mayo or sour cream, etc.
You can spread that on rye toast or top new potatoes with it.

If you're having company, a simple appetizer is sliced English cucumber with a dollop of crème fraîche topped with a small piece of smoked salmon, fresh dill, and a scattering of capers.

If you wrap the leftover lox (on its tray) tightly in plastic wrap I think you can get at least a week or more out of it.

margeslp
12-23-2009, 04:55 AM
I have made lettuce wraps with lox and cream cheese; add a little chopped onion and tomato

memartha
12-23-2009, 07:38 AM
I buy a 4-oz. package at the store and it's a nice small size. On the package it says to eat within 4 (or 5 - I can't remember) days of opening.

Ideas for using it up:

If you have a favorite pasta with a creamy white sauce (alfredo-like) you can add bits of lox to that; a tortilla roll up with cream cheese and lox; in an omelete; on a sandwich with sliced cucumber and dill-butter; and here's one for you:

Ricotta, Pesto and Smoked Salmon Pizza

1 pie crust
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
3 T. pesto
3 T. pine nuts
3 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon, cut into 1-in. pieces
fresh basil leaves

Preheat oven to 400.

Lay pie crust in center of large baking sheet. Fold in 1/2 inch of crust edge. Stand up double edge and crimp decoratively, forming upright rim. Blend cheese and pesto in a small bowl. Spread cheese mixture over crust. Sprinkle with pine nuts. Bake pizza until crust is cooked through and golden, about 18 min. Arrange salmon pieces over pizza. Garnish with basil leaves.

From Bon Appetit's Fast, Easy, Fresh

wallycat
12-23-2009, 08:45 AM
I've used them as the canadian bacon portion of an eggs benedict.

I add them to frittata's.

I wrap a scallion with them and add cheese.

applecrisp
12-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks everyone for the ideas, it's much appreciated. I need to branch out beyond the onion or plain bagel variation. :D

Canice, that spreads sounds great. I definitely need to try that as a jazzed up cream cheese.

Dawna
12-23-2009, 09:42 AM
I was going to suggest a flatbread or pizza. I had one once at a deli somwhere that was fantastic. I think it had cream cheese, red onion slivers and tomato on it. Sounds awfully close to the bagel thing, but I really enjoyed it and texturally it was different and I loved it.

dreamer101
12-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Orange juice might be great with it but with a Mimosa (or a few) it's perfection. I've never put tomatoes or onion on my bagel with lox and cream cheese. I've put lox on pizza.

swedish cook
12-23-2009, 10:48 AM
I don't know how much lox you have left over but I use it in a famous Swedish dish that traditionally requires salt-cured salmon (NOT "gravlax") that I can't find here.
You can also chop the lox, mix with minced fennel, grated lemon rind, lemon juice, oil, dill and pepper to make a small batch of CL's "Smoked Salmon Crostini".

Swedish Salmon Casserole (Laxpudding)

10 medium sized potatoes, well rinsed
1 large onion, minced
12 ounces sliced smoked salmon or lox (a saltier, less expensive variety works great)
freshly ground black pepper
1 bunch fresh dill, chopped
4 large eggs
1 2/3 cups whole milk

Place potatoes in large saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, lower heat and cook until soft but not mushy, 15-20 minutes depending on size. Drain and let cool in colander until cold enough to handle; peel and cut into 1/4-inch slices.

In a nonstick skillet sauté onion in very little butter until softened; remove from heat and let cool.

Place salmon on paper towels to soak up excess moisture or you will end up with a watery residue even after the dish has finished cooking. This is especially important if you use vacuum-packed salmon.

Preheat oven to 400° F. Generously butter a 2 1/2 - 3 quart soufflé dish.

Layer ingredients in soufflé dish:
1/3 of sliced potatoes
1/2 of sautéed onion
1/2 of salmon slices
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 of chopped fresh dill

Pack loosely! Repeat layers ending with sliced potatoes.

In a small bowl whisk together eggs and milk; pour over ingredients in soufflé dish. Mixture should just reach top layer of potatoes but not cover completely.

Bake in middle of oven at 400° F for about 50 minutes until egg mixture is set.

Serve warm or at room temperature with a green salad and Crème Fraîche Sauce.

Crème Fraîche Sauce

2/3 cup crème fraîche
2/3 cup regular sour cream
1/2 vegetable bouillon cube, crumbled (Knorr brand)
pinch of freshly ground white pepper (or cayenne pepper - but use sparingly!)
2/3 cup chopped fresh dill

Combine crème fraîche, sour cream and bouillon in a small saucepan. Heat on low just until bouillon has melted stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in pepper and dill. Serve at room temperature together with salmon casserole.
NOTE: Swedish crème fraîche is much lighter than what is sold in the US so using half sour cream cuts down on the fat.

blazedog
12-23-2009, 11:16 AM
FWIW, most good delis have lox that is sliced to order -- and there is a difference between Lox and Nova Scotia salmon. Novy is more expensive and less salty -- more delicate in taste whereas lox is salted and less expensive.

Packaged lox is okay in a pinch but it doesn't hold a candle to freshly sliced stuff.

applecrisp
12-23-2009, 11:30 AM
What great ideas. On a pizza... sounds intereting.

Blazedog --

Unfortunately, there are a shortage of good delis near me. There used to be a great deli a few blocks from my home that I could buy a slice or two of Nova (and had the best matzo ball soup but I digress), but its now a Starbucks. :rolleyes:

There is a place about 10 minutes away that I'm guessing might sell it --- need to check it out.

Why can't Zabars come to my city. :D

blazedog
12-23-2009, 12:43 PM
What great ideas. On a pizza... sounds intereting.

That was Wolfgang Puck's original creation at Spago from years ago (1982). It wasn't on the menu and was ordered as Jewish Pizza by those who wanted it.

Spago was really the place which launched the whole pizza haute cuisine mania.

Here's a link to the recipe.

http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/recipes/view/6162/Pizza-with-Smoked-Salmon-and-Caviar

Canice
12-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Depending on how you're going to use it, buying lox trim at the deli can be a money-saver. Not appropriate for all uses but if it's being minced or mixed into something, it's fine.

I've wanted to try this Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Frittata (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Smoked-Salmon-and-Cream-Cheese-Frittata-108498) for ages.