PDA

View Full Version : Stupid bread question...

foodie18
12-27-2009, 08:12 AM
OK, I'm still a novice in the bread making department. Last night I made the KA Vermont Maple Bread. The recipe says to cook 35 - 40 minutes or until an internal temp of 190 degrees. I have an instant read thermometer but am reluctant to ruin the top of a beautiful loaf by sticking a thermometer in it to ensure it's cooked! Once out of the oven and on a cooling rack, I have no problem sticking it from underneath, but by then it's too late to determine doneness.

So how do you tell if it's cooked internally or not? (My oven is calibrated and I feel comfortable that the oven temp is accurate to within a few degrees.)

Sarah

tovie
12-27-2009, 08:59 AM
I usually tap on the bottom/side of the loaf. If it's done, it sounds sort of hollow. I just dump the loaf out of the pan briefly onto the top of the stove to do that, and you can also stick in the thermometer at that point and then just stick it back in pan and oven if it's not done.

Beth
12-27-2009, 09:02 AM
I do the same. Bread that is done or nearly done will easily flop out of the pan to check the bottom (thumping or thermometer) and you can flip it back in if you need to give it a few more minutes.

foodie18
12-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Great. Thanks much! I might attempt an oat loaf today. :)

deb415611
12-27-2009, 09:10 AM
I stick the thermometer in from the side right above the bread pan. Kind of where the bottom meets the top & it's kind of creased (?? not quite the word I"m looking for). Doesn't show quite so much.

Temp is the best test of doneness. Especially when just learning how to bake bread.

sneezles
12-27-2009, 10:12 AM
I remove it from the oven and stick the thermometer in the bottom of the loaf. It's no biggie if it needs to go back in the oven.