PDA

View Full Version : Proper etiquette to thank a realtor

shoyski
01-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Hey All,

I have a friend who was going to move but now is not. She's been working with a realtor in another state for six months. What is the proper way to thank the realtor? Wine, flowers, just a thank you note........

TIA,
Shelley

generic
01-13-2010, 08:53 PM
I'm no etiquette maven, but if I were in that situation my gut would say to make it something concrete rather than just a note. Since your friend probably doesn't know a lot about this person's tastes, maybe a gift card would be in order from a store with a great variety of items? I think ANY expression of true gratitude would be much appreciated.

shoyski
01-14-2010, 05:33 AM
Jeanette, thanks so much for your response. :-)

mst
01-14-2010, 07:05 AM
When a similar situation happened to us, we gave a significant giftcard to an expensive area restaurant. I felt terrible that he did not get a commission on us.

Wendi
01-14-2010, 07:52 AM
I'm a realtor and in similar situations I have been sent flowers and taken to dinner....all unexpected and appreciated.

What is most meaningful is a letter/note specifying what the agent did for the prospective clients...why the efforts were appreciated. It's important for the sentiment, and also something I add to other testimonials that I'm able to share with other prospective clients.

The notes of thanks and appreciation are what I save and enjoy for years.

Goin' Coastal
01-14-2010, 07:55 AM
I am so glad to read this and see it is for a realtor who did not make a sale! I read the title of the post, and after selling our house this past summer, I was thinking - Oh my - wasn't the $20,000+ and a verbal thank you enough!! :D

Kathy Pinkus
01-14-2010, 12:22 PM
The greatest thank you gift a realtor can ever get is from a previous client...it is their referral! I've been a realtor for 10 years and nothing says thank you more than a person calling to say "Jane Doe recommended i call you!" We recommend doctors, hair stylists, etc-recommend a realtor if they have done a good job! In 2009, 92% of my business was from referrals, whether it was a lender, friend, past client etc. So skip the gift cards, grab a megaphone, and RAVE about your realtor !!!!!

shoyski
01-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks, I will pass this along to my friend. It's a big help to hear from those in the field.

Shelley