PDA

View Full Version : high protein breakfasts?

orcawave
01-22-2010, 11:19 PM
I am looking for quick morning recipes for high protein breakfasts. My husband has been advised to do this for his health. He isn't suppose to have bacon or sausage unless it it made from chicken or turkey. He can have eggs but has to watch the dairy....We aren't morning people and so I"m hoping for some recipes that will not take too much time to prepare. Any suggestions?:confused:

little_bopeep
01-23-2010, 12:16 AM
These work great as a breakfast item. :)

Chicken Honey Mustard Biscuits
Serves 4

Submitted by
Rachael Ray
on 02/11/09

Bisquick is a great short cut for making delicious biscuits in a jiffy!  It's a great use of leftover chicken. 

Ingredients
· 3 cups baking mix, such as Bisquick
· 1 cup milk
· 1 cup shredded carrots
· 3-4 scallions, thinly sliced on a bias
· 1 small zucchini, shredded
· 1 1/2 cups shredded chicken (I used BBQ chicken)
· 1/4 cup honey
· 1/4 cup mustard
· 1 cup shredded yellow cheddar cheese, divided
· Salt and ground black pepper
Preparation
Pre-heat oven to 425ºF.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the baking mix and milk until almost completely mixed. Add the carrot, scallions, zucchini, chicken, honey, mustard, half of the cheese, some salt and pepper, and continue mixing until evenly combined.
Using an ice cream scoop or two spoons, deposit the mixture into 2-inch rounds (just eyeball it) onto two greased baking sheets. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of the biscuits and bake until golden brown and the cheese has melted, 15-18 minutes.

lantana
01-23-2010, 07:02 AM
I like fried egg with a veggie sausage pattie rolled in a small warmed flour tortilla with slices of avocado. The egg and sausage are about 15 grams of protein, and there are a few grams in the other ingredients. Add a cup of soy milk or soy yogurt (since he is not eating much dairy) for more protein. This does take a few minutes to put together, but not much longer than cooking the egg.

wallycat
01-23-2010, 08:57 AM
You can make meatloaf in muffin tins and eat as a muffin whenever you wish.
I've eaten leftover dinners for breakfast.
Eating Well magazine had some spinach parmesan muffins that were very good. It may have some dairy in there, which you could sub with soy.

I've also eaten tofu for breakfast....it is pretty tasteless so you can flavor as you wish.

Peanut, almond, cashew butters spread on a la tortilla low-carb wrap.

Soy milk with a higher protein cereal or soy yogurt if he's used to eating yogurts in the morning.

Anything can be "on the go" if you make it the night before.

applecrisp
01-23-2010, 10:20 AM
What about those "egg muffins" --- that have eggs (or egg sub), some veggies, cheese (can certainly control the amount) etc. I don't have a recipe handy right now. I know they can be frozen, so makes a quick breakfast.

I know you mentioned that he has to watch the amount of dairy, but just wanted to toss out Greek Yogurt. I believe it is higher in protein than other yogurt. My favorite brand it FAGE, then Chiobani (sp?).

Aninha
01-23-2010, 12:33 PM
What about breakfast smoothies? You can add protein powder (either whey, soy, hemp, etc...) to them, or use greek yogurt, and make them high in protein content. Plus you get fruits and calcium too.
I love making smoothies for breakfast, they are nutritious, delicious and keep me filled for hours -I do add protein to mine plus a tbsp of ground flax, also sometimes adding oats and/or nut butters help boost the nutrition and satiety effect.
Ana

lantana
01-23-2010, 01:39 PM
If the dairy restriction is due to fat content rather than a dairy intolerance, then I agree with everyone posting about Greek yogurt. I just bought some that is no-fat and has 23 grams of protein per 1 cup serving. That would be a great building block for a smoothie or yogurt parfait.