PDA

View Full Version : computer question re windows 7

Valerie226
02-11-2010, 04:24 PM
anyone know of any compatibility issues with windows 7? I'm thinking of photoshop, and editing pics from a camera that's 2 yrs old. Should that work OK? Sorry, I'm pretty stupid about photos and processing them.

Hammster
02-11-2010, 05:32 PM
I downloaded a small application called Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor (http://windows.microsoft.com/upgradeadvisor) from the Windows website. It's pretty small in size and it will have you connect any and all periphals to your computer, including your camera, and turn them all on and then scan your computer and all the goodies and let you know what is compatible and what isn't. It was very helpful. I haven't upgraded yet, but it is a nice thing to have and I'll likely run it again when I finally decide to upgrade.

Valerie226
02-11-2010, 06:05 PM
DH is buying a new work system that will be at home.. he can get whatever ... work needs are simple so anything is Ok.
Our desktop is XP, we intentionally skipped Vista. so it's a question of whether we should stick with XP which is still available or go ahead with Win 7. I haven't heard anything about backwards compatibility and I don't want to find out the hard way.

If I'm understanding, I could connect with XP system plus peripherals and it would tell us if the camera & printer would work with windows 7, right? Just being careful, DH is pretty difficult if things don't work. and I'm not as literate as I'd like. thanks, back tomorrow am...

Hammster
02-11-2010, 06:38 PM
If I'm understanding, I could connect with XP system plus peripherals and it would tell us if the camera & printer would work with windows 7, right? Just being careful, DH is pretty difficult if things don't work. and I'm not as literate as I'd like. thanks, back tomorrow am...

Right, just download the software, it should place an icon on your desktop, and run it. Double click the icon and follow the info in the window that comes up.

Miss Giggles
02-11-2010, 07:28 PM
I second the win 7 upgrade advisor but anything under two years old should be ok.

jmarie
02-14-2010, 08:10 AM
I had to wait for an update for my all-in-one printer. It took them about 2 weeks to have it available. But now everything is humming along.

Valerie226
02-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Hammster, thank you so much! the program worked great. camera should work fine.
I was concerned after the stories about vista so we would have stayed with XP if we needed to. we ordered our new system with windows 7. thanks again.