PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite olive oil brand?

Max Sutton
02-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Which brand of extra-virgin olive oil do you use in your kitchen?

Hammster
02-18-2010, 09:50 AM
I use our local healthy foods store's name (house) brand - Henry's.

Good stuff.

LakeMartinGal
02-18-2010, 10:20 AM
When I can get to Whole Foods, I buy their 365 house brand. Otherwise, either Bertolli's or the other one that starts with a B...

carolyn.1
02-18-2010, 11:59 AM
After doing alot of taste testing Colavita was the best (for me).
I especially love it with little red potatoes and kosher salt, cracked pepper roasted at high heat in the oven.

1grl1by
02-18-2010, 01:15 PM
Which brand of extra-virgin olive oil do you use in your kitchen?

Spitiko, or Horio, Liohori

I wish that the Greeks would export more of their oil as branded oils for the American consumer.

whocares
02-18-2010, 01:29 PM
I have been cycling through the Whole Foods brand - Italian, Greek, Spanish and Australian. They all taste good. Until I saw the Aussie variety at Whole Foods, I didn't know that Australia exports olive oil.

Just Mary
02-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Whatever the gallon jug from Costco is. Oh wait, I just noticed you asked about extra virgin. My gallon jug isn't. It's mainly for cooking, so EVOO isn't that needed here. I've read it's worth buying it for raw uses like salad dressings, though. But I don't.

Canice
02-18-2010, 01:53 PM
Stone House (http://www.stonehouseoliveoil.com/)'s Arbequena is my "good" EVOO.
For cooking it's usually Bertoloi or Colavita or Star - depends what's on sale.

Luckyfeather
02-18-2010, 03:14 PM
I use DiVitos's. It's good and there isn't much else to chose from around here. It rated pretty high with Cook's Illustrated's Test Kitchen a few years back.

zwieback
02-18-2010, 03:51 PM
For most things, I use Costco's brand. But, I was at a dinner one night and started talking to a woman from Italy. She told me that she buys olive oil at Marshall's & TJMaxx. She said that Fini brand is good. So, DH found a bottle at TJMaxx and bought it. We use it for dipping bread. Holy moly is it ever good.

vbak
02-18-2010, 04:23 PM
I like Spanish EVOO the best, and I'm using up a bottle of TJ's Spanish EVOO. I normally buy Colavita.
I wish TJ's wasn't so far away; It's at least 100 miles round trip.:(

oct2189
02-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Colavita's my ED

Robyn1007
02-18-2010, 08:50 PM
I use 365 from Whole Foods as well.

Peweh
02-18-2010, 10:30 PM
For everyday cooking both regular and EVOO I generally use Filippo Berio or Colavita. I've stopped my wholesale club membership so now I watch the regular grocery store sales. Whenever I can get the 3-litre tin at a good buy I grab one and then I refill a smaller bottle I keep by the stove.

heavy hedonist
02-19-2010, 12:56 PM
since i'm veg and don't sear meat, i do all my cooking with EVOO, and have for 23 years. (info: it doesn't taste BAD cooked, it just loses a slight bit of it's flavor-- in fact really good cold pressed olive oil even has a decently high smoke point. i'm pretty sure that this practice is part of why people love my soups so much.)
when i was younger, i loved Goya Spanish olive oil for most purposes, and it's affordability. Now, i confess, it's too heavy and greasy for me. I loved this brand of Greek Kalamata oil TJ's had; very fruity, and it worked in every dish-- now that i'm not near a TJ's and not spending as much on groceries, it's usually Gia Russa, a decent Italian brand that my local market sells, or so,etimes the cheap but not bad stuff from Aldi's.
but if money was no object, i'd be using one of those spicy Tuscan olive oils i got addicted to at the home of one of my personal chef clients.

KAnn
02-20-2010, 01:36 AM
After doing a blind taste test of the WF 365 brands(Italian, Greek and Spanish), I learned that I much prefer Greek so I use either the 365 Greek or another first cold press Greek like Lapas. It's interesting that they all have very unique and distinguishable flavors. I liked the Spanish the least.

LakeMartinGal
02-20-2010, 07:53 AM
After doing a blind taste test of the WF 365 brands(Italian, Greek and Spanish), I learned that I much prefer Greek so I use either the 365 Greek or another first cold press Greek like Lapas. It's interesting that they all have very unique and distinguishable flavors. I liked the Spanish the least.
I'll have to try this the next time I get to a WF! I just got the Italian, because I mostly cook Italian food, but I see that I'm denying myself some good flavors. OTOH, I only have 1 olive oil in my cupboard...;)

cherylopal
02-20-2010, 08:07 AM
I like whole foods spanish- like KAnn I happened on a tasting and liked them all but seemed to prefer the spanish. I also like Pons if I feel like splurging.

Clover
02-20-2010, 09:42 AM
I use Bariani olive oil. I particularly like the early harvest oil. For cooking, lately I tend to use peanut oil most often.

KristiB
02-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Whole Foods spanish is my fave too. I also buy a Turkish brand for my Middle Eastern dishes.