PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Florence’s 'The Perfect Oatmeal'

Vinca
03-13-2010, 02:59 PM
If you are like me and don’t care for something that is sugary sweet for breakfast, give this recipe a try.

I made this recipe for breakfast this morning but I used old fashioned oatmeal and made it in the microwave. While the oatmeal was cooking I toasted some coconut on the stove in a small skillet. I found this recipe needed a touch of salt (I used very little) because it tasted a little flat. I had my oatmeal with sliced banana and toasted coconut. I thought some toasted almonds would be nice too.

Servings: Serves 4

Ingredients:

Oatmeal:
1 cup quick-cook oatmeal , Rolled Oats
2 cups unsweetened apple juice
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter

Toppings:
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 large banana , sliced
1/2 cup shredded toasted coconut
Skim milk

Directions:
Begin by cooking the oatmeal in apple juice. Pour oatmeal and apple juice into the pot, and set over medium heat. Cook for 7 to 8 minutes until oatmeal is creamy and tender. Stir in applesauce, cinnamon and butter, and keep warm until ready to eat. Prepare toppings and serve with oatmeal.

Tutalady
03-14-2010, 08:28 AM
When we were in Scotland, we stayed at a B&B and had oatmeal there for breakfast every morning......she had added just cream and salt to it and I like to make ours that way now too. No sugar and it is great.

Vinca
03-14-2010, 12:04 PM
I knew a lady from Scotland and she said they made oatmeal with butter and salt. Very similar to what you discribed.

I had some left over oatmeal for breakfast today and it still was very tasty. Good to know it can be made in advance. :)

jjsooner73
03-14-2010, 02:18 PM
I made oatmeal a few times last week for breakfast just as a change from my Fage. I make it with a touch of olive oil, cinnamon, and then frozen blueberries and honey at the end.
Good stuff.

I've said I don't like oatmeal, but it's growing on me. I think I'd like the recipe you posted as well.

Vinca
03-14-2010, 02:50 PM
I have also said that I wasn’t found of oatmeal but I think it is because it has been overly sweet. Oatmeal is so healthy and I am trying to think out of the box to try and incorporate more of it in my diet.

I made oatmeal a few times last week for breakfast just as a change from my Fage. I make it with a touch of olive oil, cinnamon, and then frozen blueberries and honey at the end.
Good stuff.

I've said I don't like oatmeal, but it's growing on me. I think I'd like the recipe you posted as well.

Thank you for posting how you enjoy your oatmeal. I like the idea of using olive oil and in my book you can’t ever go wrong with berries! :p

PurplePotato
03-15-2010, 08:32 AM
That recipe looks good but also like you would be adding a lot of calories to the oatmeal.

I like to thaw frozen berries in the microwave and mix them and their juice into oatmeal.

TKay
03-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Interesting that he cooks the oats in apple juice. I may have to try this. I sent dh to the store to pick up some oats for a recipe. I needed 3/4 cup. He brought home the mega box from Costco. :eek:

jjsooner73
03-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Then there is this savory suggestion from Mark Bittman's Bitten.
http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/16/a-serious-savory-breakfast/

It doesn't appeal to me.

TKay
03-16-2010, 02:59 PM

Wow, really? This sounds so odd. I guess it's because I've always associated oatmeal with some sort of sweet additive. Celery?

SusanMac
03-16-2010, 03:37 PM
I would be up for savory oatmeal. It's a lot like barley, which is usually savory. Kind of even in the same camp as polenta. But....I definitely wouldn't pick celery as my veggie of choice!! Tomatoes maybe

Aninha
03-16-2010, 04:34 PM

It doesn't appeal to me.

Savory oats are yummy! I like mine with butter and salt when I make it savory. Think about it as "oats risotto", that's what if feels/taste like!
(I don't like celery so I would never add it to my oats... yuck.)
Ana

blazedog
03-16-2010, 04:47 PM
I add almost no sugar to oatmeal but I do cook it with vanilla which seems to heighten the inherent taste of the grains. I am currently eating with raisins so there is that sweetness with every bite but also like with blueberries -- they aren't abundantly in season yet here though.

I can't say I never like sweet things -- even for breakfast but I do find the already sweetened oatmeal packets way too sweet for my taste -- If I want a cookie I'll HAVE a cookie and not saccharine sweet oatmeal. :rolleyes:

I will also often cook with skim milk instead of water (or partially so) in order to get my milk daily in.

Aninha
03-16-2010, 05:01 PM
I add almost no sugar to oatmeal but I do cook it with vanilla which seems to heighten the inherent taste of the grains. I am currently eating with raisins so there is that sweetness with every bite but also like with blueberries -- they aren't abundantly in season yet here though.

I can't say I never like sweet things -- even for breakfast but I do find the already sweetened oatmeal packets way too sweet for my taste -- If I want a cookie I'll HAVE a cookie and not saccharine sweet oatmeal. :rolleyes:

I will also often cook with skim milk instead of water (or partially so) in order to get my milk daily in.

I too don't add too much sugar to mine, usually a tsp or so of agave. I cook my oats with water until they thicken and then I add milk and cook a minute or two more until it boils and thickens a bit again. Love, love oats, I eat it everyday! I add flaxseeds to mine too, which I love the nutty taste of. Oh, and yes, I also add a tbsp of almond butter to my oats, I put a small blob of it on top of my bowl (or mug, I love eating oats in my big mugs!) and wait a minute before I dig into that part, then the almond butter gets melty and absolutely amazing with the oats, yummm!!
I love having oatmeal for dinner sometimes, is it too weird? It fills me up and comforts me like nothing else in the culinary world at the end of the day.
Ana

jjsooner73
03-16-2010, 07:52 PM
I'm going to try something new--making oats tonight to reheat in the a.m. I am going to the gym in the morning, which means leaving the house by 5. Not really time to make them or eat them, but I"d like to have them for when I get to my desk.

Any tips? Do they reheat OK, or turn into a goopy mess?

blazedog
03-16-2010, 07:55 PM
I'm going to try something new--making oats tonight to reheat in the a.m. I am going to the gym in the morning, which means leaving the house by 5. Not really time to make them or eat them, but I"d like to have them for when I get to my desk.

Any tips? Do they reheat OK, or turn into a goopy mess?

I think Alton had a recipe for oatmeal in the crockpot. And as I recall, it could be eaten over a few days.

Do you have access to a microwave at work. I microwave my oatmeal -- even the non-instant type is fine once I figured out the formula -- 6 1/2 minutes at 50% power. It's very thick but then I dilute and stick in the microwave again for 20 seconds or so.

jjsooner73
03-16-2010, 07:59 PM
I think Alton had a recipe for oatmeal in the crockpot. And as I recall, it could be eaten over a few days.

Do you have access to a microwave at work. I microwave my oatmeal -- even the non-instant type is fine once I figured out the formula -- 6 1/2 minutes at 50% power. It's very thick but then I dilute and stick in the microwave again for 20 seconds or so.

Yes, I would be reheating it there as eating them cold just sounds gross.

blazedog
03-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Yes, I would be reheating it there as eating them cold just sounds gross.

Why don't you just bring uncooked oats and fixings to work and cook them there?

jjsooner73
03-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Why don't you just bring uncooked oats and fixings to work and cook them there?

I suppose I could try, though I generally don't like food "cooked" in a microwave, though reheating is OK. I lived w/o one for about 8 years and only have one now because it's built in.

So, I went ahead and made some tonight and left it runnier than I prefer. I will reheat it in the a.m. and see how it is. If I don't like it, I'll try your formula.

Aninha
03-17-2010, 07:45 AM
I suppose I could try, though I generally don't like food "cooked" in a microwave, though reheating is OK. I lived w/o one for about 8 years and only have one now because it's built in.

So, I went ahead and made some tonight and left it runnier than I prefer. I will reheat it in the a.m. and see how it is. If I don't like it, I'll try your formula.

You most certainly will need to add milk or another liquid of choice when you reheat your oats in the morning.
One thing you could do is make "overnight oats", or swiss musli as some people call it.
Simply put your oats and add milk or yogurt (or a little of both) and let it sit in the fridge in the container you are eating/reheating overnight. Then the next morning you can sweeten it and add fruit or your favorite toppings to it. You can reheat in the microwave too if you would like it warm, but do try it cold, it is good! The texture is so different, it is not "gummy" as some people say when they refer to cooked oats.
Type in "overnight oats" on google and you will find many variations and pictures! This method is great for the summer months and for days when you don't have time to cook oats in the morning.
Seriously, give it a try, maybe you will like it too!
Ana

jjsooner73
03-17-2010, 07:48 AM
You most certainly will need to add milk or another liquid of choice when you reheat your oats in the morning.
One thing you could do is make "overnight oats", or swiss musli as some people call it.
Simply put your oats and add milk or yogurt (or a little of both) and let it sit in the fridge in the container you are eating/reheating overnight. Then the next morning you can sweeten it and add fruit or your favorite toppings to it. You can reheat in the microwave too if you would like it warm, but do try it cold, it is good! The texture is so different, it is not "gummy" as some people say when they refer to cooked oats.
Type in "overnight oats" on google and you will find many variations and pictures! This method is great for the summer months and for days when you don't have time to cook oats in the morning.
Seriously, give it a try, maybe you will like it too!
Ana

Actually, I just finished my breakfast. Surprisingly, they were runnier than I thought they would be, and I didn't add any extra liquid. Almost too runny. I did add the frozen blueberries towards the end of cooking, so they must have released a lot more liquid.
They were good though, so I know this method will work for me.

I'll look into the overnight oats. Thanks!

Aninha
03-17-2010, 08:32 AM
Actually, I just finished my breakfast. Surprisingly, they were runnier than I thought they would be, and I didn't add any extra liquid. Almost too runny. I did add the frozen blueberries towards the end of cooking, so they must have released a lot more liquid.
They were good though, so I know this method will work for me.

I'll look into the overnight oats. Thanks!

Cool, nice that it wasn't too thick! I find that oats really thicken up as they sit, and I don't like it that much when they are too thick. I always make mine and stop cooking when there is a little bit more liquid than I like to eat because as I eat it always gets thicker. Doe this make sense at all?!:p
Glad you enjoyed your breakfast! I love oatmeal!
Ana

blazedog
03-17-2010, 12:02 PM
When I had zilch time for breakfast at home, I would make a batch of Baked Oatmeal on Sunday and freeze individual portions. My job sites generally had freezers so I could stash them there and defrost in the microwave but they also are well suited to eat and run since they can defrost if one just wants to bring one along each day.

The recipe I made used milk and bananas with whole grain oatmeal as well as a moderate amount of sugar. There are a lot of variants as I've read people used apples.

Sometimes I would go a little wild and pour in a bunch of stone ground cornmeal, some baking powder and fresh blueberries so it was kind of a wacky cross between baked oatmeal and a corn muffin. :)

Just Mary
03-20-2010, 12:15 PM
I too don't add too much sugar to mine, usually a tsp or so of agave. I cook my oats with water until they thicken and then I add milk and cook a minute or two more until it boils and thickens a bit again. Love, love oats, I eat it everyday! I add flaxseeds to mine too, which I love the nutty taste of. Oh, and yes, I also add a tbsp of almond butter to my oats, I put a small blob of it on top of my bowl (or mug, I love eating oats in my big mugs!) and wait a minute before I dig into that part, then the almond butter gets melty and absolutely amazing with the oats, yummm!!
I love having oatmeal for dinner sometimes, is it too weird? It fills me up and comforts me like nothing else in the culinary world at the end of the day.
Ana

Do you grind the flax seeds into meal first? I think whole flax seeds are indigestible, so all those healthy omega 3s can't be absorbed.

Aninha
03-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Do you grind the flax seeds into meal first? I think whole flax seeds are indigestible, so all those healthy omega 3s can't be absorbed.

Yes, I do! I add 1 tbsp ground flax to my oats. Sometimes I do 1 tbsp chia seeds instead, which does not need to be ground (we absorb all goodness and omega 3s from chia seeds in its original form!
Ana