PDA

View Full Version : Say Yes To The Dress or Bridal Dresses in General

blazedog
03-16-2010, 12:06 PM
My TIVO found this show (Say Yes To The Dress) which is a reality show about Kleinfeld's -- the uber-famous bridal emporium. It used to be located in Brooklyn but evidently moved on up to Manhattan a few years back but still seems to retain a lot of its roots -- although even in the "olden days", it was legendary in terms of being this extremely odd upscale bridal store in the middle of Brooklyn. :D

I have found it weirdly addicting -- I can't believe how much people of what appears to be relatively modest means (teachers, policemen) spend on wedding gowns. Is this really prevalent -- the most recent brides I knew well enough to have the scoop on the dress seem to have much smaller budgets for what is something worn for a few hours -- maybe in the $1000 or so range at Davids at most.

I have no problems with affluent people spending anything they want on Vera Wang or LLihier et al but I wonder whether any of these "girls" will regret the money spent when a few years down the road when the realities of housing; cars and kids' education hits home and the $10,000 would have come in handy.

Kevlar
03-16-2010, 12:35 PM
I find this show fascinating. The prices of the dresses are somewhat astounding, but the family/friend dynamics are what I enjoy most. Some of the sisters and "best friends" are just cruel and selfish! There was a set of twins where the not-bride couldn't wait to get it over with. Some of the entourages don't even let the bride say her opinion.
The whole wedding industry has mushroomed to insanity levels. Glad my daughter paid for her own lovely wedding. (Too bad it didn't last.)

zwieback
03-16-2010, 01:24 PM
When I was getting married, I found a dress that was absolutely beautiful and I loved it. It was $1000 and that was more than I was willing to spend. I ended up paying $500 for my dress and I kind of wish I would have spent even less. The $500 certainly didn't break my bank or anything, but I think I probably could have found an equally pretty dress for less. It costs so much to have it dry cleaned, too. I think when I was looking around to have it cleaned, it was going to be $250 and that wasn't even for boxing it up in one of those nice boxes. That was just for cleaning. So, almost 9 years later, my dress still hasn't been cleaned. I'm just not willing to pay that much.

PurplePotato
03-16-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm completely addicted to this show. :o

I also cannot being to imagine spending that much on a dress. I just can't.

jellyben
03-16-2010, 02:38 PM
I bought my wedding dress at Kleinfeld! I love that show but would like to scream at the TV as I watch these wedding shows that not every girl can wear a strapless dress.:eek:

blazedog
03-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Oh yes the dynamics are definitely what makes the show most fascinating to me - the brides vis a vis the wedding and those people who they have around them.

While some of the stuff might be edited for "pushiness" - I am sure anyone helping a friend buy anything would be uttering "opinions and almost all of the time there is "tension" and complete reconciliation.

However, there are a few in which the family are completely abusive -- there was one bride who wasn't overweight but curvy -- her cousin and MOTHER were so completely verbally abusive. One shudders to think what kind of home she is escaping from.

I also went on over to the TWOP forums because I was so fascinated by the whole culture and dynamics being portrayed -- the dress of course must just be the start. There is a $600 MINIMUM alterations charge plus tax of course unless one has it shipped out of state.

Now I certainly can appreciate that these expensive gowns are sumptuously made and are exquisite in the same way that a couture gown is exquisite -- I am just shocked at what seemingly middle class people are spending -- I would have to assume that the wedding itself is also expensive -- but that's another show (literally). :D

blazedog
03-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Also some of these gowns have cathedral length trains or otherwise completely uncomfortable outfits -- aren't they horrendously uncomfortable for the reception -- although I have seen a few episodes where the bride buys TWO dresses -- one for the ceremony and one for the reception.

Missi
03-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Oh, this show is one of my guilty pleasures:o!

I have no idea why I like it so much, but I love all of it. The family dynamics, the staff drama, seeing which dress they actually choose, the ridiculous budget they have! I can't even imagine paying what they do. ( I believe I saw an episode once that said the lowest dress there is $1800).

I'm glad I'm not the only one addicted.:D

mikesmom
03-16-2010, 03:34 PM
I find this show fascinating. The prices of the dresses are somewhat astounding, but the family/friend dynamics are what I enjoy most. Some of the sisters and "best friends" are just cruel and selfish! There was a set of twins where the not-bride couldn't wait to get it over with. Some of the entourages don't even let the bride say her opinion.
The whole wedding industry has mushroomed to insanity levels. Glad my daughter paid for her own lovely wedding. (Too bad it didn't last.)

I watch this show all the time. I'm a huge fan. I've seen that episode with the twins more than once. The non-bride twin is one of the most unlikeable people I've ever seen on a reality show. She should be ashamed of herself.

Goin' Coastal
03-16-2010, 05:22 PM
I bought my wedding dress at Kleinfeld! I love that show but would like to scream at the TV as I watch these wedding shows that not every girl can wear a strapless dress.:eek:

I had daughters get married both in '08 and '09 and it was amazing how few dresses there were out there that were NOT strapless! Other than a few halter styles, which were mainly geared toward beach weddings, you didn't have much choice other than strapless. I was very surprised when we were wedding dress shopping. Thank goodnes both DDs looked good in strapless!

Miss Giggles
03-16-2010, 05:28 PM
I only watched it a couple of times! It is awful and I can't believe how people act like that.

Some of the dresses were UGLY for what they are charging.

Of course if I shopped there I'd be an "old" bride.. if you saw that episode. Oh and when i was a bridesmaid everything was strapless, unless you had the seamstress sew on spaghetti straps.

LittleBrownCat
03-16-2010, 07:51 PM
When I was getting married, I found a dress that was absolutely beautiful and I loved it. It was $1000 and that was more than I was willing to spend. I ended up paying $500 for my dress and I kind of wish I would have spent even less. The $500 certainly didn't break my bank or anything, but I think I probably could have found an equally pretty dress for less. It costs so much to have it dry cleaned, too. I think when I was looking around to have it cleaned, it was going to be $250 and that wasn't even for boxing it up in one of those nice boxes. That was just for cleaning. So, almost 9 years later, my dress still hasn't been cleaned. I'm just not willing to pay that much.

I bought my wedding dress at Building 19, which is a Masschusetts chain "job lots/fire sale/etc." kind of place. I think I paid something like $200 dollars for a Jessica McClintock dress. I never did bother to get it cleaned; if $250 is an average price, I'm glad I didn't, it would have cost me almost as much as the dress!

RobinC
03-17-2010, 06:25 AM
I've never seen the show, but I have heard many stories of brides paying ridiculous amounts of money for a dress.

I'm not married, and most likely will not get married. However I did buy a wedding dress last weekend. It was for a costume party. I bought a dress on clearance at David's Bridal for $99.00. When I got home a tried it on I thought to myself, "If I were to get married I think I'd wear this dress." Oh, and it is not strapless. :)

Gracie
03-17-2010, 06:29 AM
This show sounds fun! What channel, time and day? :D

cchhbb
03-17-2010, 06:37 AM
It's on TLC. I watch it on demand when I can't sleep at night. The interations of the brides with their family and friends amazes me.

I know I spent about $250 for my dress. I bought it in Chicago at Marshall Fields during their sample sale. My mother did the alterations because they wanted more money to alter it than I paid for the dress. I can't imagine spending thousands of dollars on a dress that I would wear only for a few hours.