PDA

View Full Version : lemongrass recipes

wendyw
08-21-2000, 02:51 PM
On a whim, I bought a lemongrass plant about 2 years ago, now it is growing nicely and I am wondering if anyone has any good recipes?

Thanks!

Shirley Panek
08-21-2000, 07:32 PM
We just had the Malaysian Lime-Coconut Swordfish (July 2000) for our CL Supper Club and it was delish!

Gail
08-21-2000, 08:35 PM
This first recipe is the only one of the three I've tasted and I think it's marvelous. Although I haven't made this personally, I've eaten it numerous times. My Sri Lankan friend swears this is the recipe she uses. Regretfully, unless you have a source for things such as curry leaves and cardamom pods, it may be impossible to find the ingredients. (I know The Spice House carries these)

SRI LANKAN CURRY

3 pounds chicken pieces
3 tablespoons oil
1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (optional)
10 curry leaves
2 large onions, finely chopped
4-5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground fennel
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
6 cardamom pods, bruised
1 stick cinnamon
1 stalk lemon grass or 2 strips lemon rind
1 cup thick coconut milk

Cut breast and thighs in half. Fry fenugreek and curry leaves until starting to brown in hot oil. Add onions, garlic, ginger and fry gently until onions are soft and golden. Add turmeric, chili, coriander, fennel, paprika, salt and vinegar. Stir well. Add chicken and stir over medium heat until chicken is thoroughly covered with spcies. Add tomatoes, whole spices and lemon grass and cook, covered over low heat 40 to 50 minutes. Add coconut milk, taste and add more salt and a squeeze of lemon juice if desired. Do not cover after adding coconut milk. Serve with rice and accompaniments.

This next one caught my eye because it sounds just like a wonderful soup I had in Bangkok. Again there may be the problem of ingredients. This is one I think I'm going to think seriously about making...

TOM YAM GOONG
Spicy Shrimp Soup with Lemongrass

4 cups chicken stock
3 kaffir lime leaves *
2 inches galangal, sliced **
3 stems lemongrass
6 - 8 medium to large shrimp or prawns
5 ounces straw mushrooms
5 green and red bird's-eye chilies (those are the little tiny Thai chilies)
3 tablespoons lime juice, or to taste
1/2 tablespoon fish sauce, or to taste
3 bunches fresh cilantro leaves
3 or 4 cilantro roots, washed (optional)

Bring the stock to a boil, add galangal, kaffir lime leaves, cilantro roots and lemongrass. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add the shrimps, mushrooms and chilies, and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the lime juice and fish sauce (which is very salty) to taste. The soup should be spicy-sour and a little salty. Serve garnished with fresh cilantro.

HELPFUL HINTS: Do not overcook the shrimp or they will become tough. Be sure to use homemade chicken stock for the best possible flavor. Any variety of seafood can be substituted for the shrimp.

*Kaffir lime leaves (ma grood) may be obtained in dried form.
**Galangal (kha) looks like ginger. Dried galangal is sometimes found under the Indonesian name, laos. The dried must be soaked in boiling water about 30 minutes until softened. Sliced galangal packed in water is exported from Thailand and sold in jars. There is an article on galangal on the following web site.

You might check out www.thaifoodandtravel.com/index.html (http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/index.html) for mail and on-line sources for ingredients.

Also, if you check out www.epicurious.com (http://www.epicurious.com) and enter lemon grass in the recipe search, there was an interesting Thai recipe as well as one for curried game hens.

Good luck! http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif

Rosemarie
08-21-2000, 09:35 PM
The thai lemongrass swordfish recipe was soooo good and easy. I also loved the blueberry dessert from the same magazine. What a great issue it was worth the whole years subscription price!!!!