PDA

View Full Version : Who's loving their iPhone iOS4 software upgrade?

Gracie
06-24-2010, 07:34 AM
I LOVE the new software!!

have been doing a lot of reading online to make sure I know all the new features - over 100, although most of the articles just discuss the seven major features Jobs went over in his presentation.

My very favorite feature is the folders. I had way too many apps, giving me way too many screens. Now I have 3 screens and the same number of apps.

The multitasking is a bit faster but I don't have Pandora or other music apps that would run in the background and give me more appreciation of this feature.

I was going to buy the TomTom app before the upgrade when it was $39.99. I decided to wait until after the upgrade and now it's $49.99!! :( To top it off, I had called the company's customer service line to ask a specific question not covered in the FAQs and they said it's not working with 4.0! Yet the new app says iOS 4 tested.

DD's favorite feature is the character count for text messages. Many other phones have a 160-character limit so some of her longer messages get truncated. Her second fave is the customizable wallpaper for both the home screen and the lock screen.

what's your favorite new feature? :)

Miss Giggles
06-24-2010, 08:25 AM
I have the touch.. :(

very little change for me.

maybe if verizon ever gets it.. but I had too many problems with the AT&T network..

I thought there would be more ibooks.. but maybe in the future.

I really wanted to set up the folders but I don't know if my touch allows it.

waltnj
06-24-2010, 09:18 AM
Thanks for starting this thread. I just downloaded the new version and I had no idea there were new features. I will have to look them up. Thanks for the 411!
Nancy

sneezles
06-24-2010, 10:17 AM
LOL! I'm still recovering from the 1.5 hour it took to do the upgrade! I do it because you have to but I don't have a lot of apps so don't know if I'll use the folders. I wait for the boys to tell me what I need to do...:p

Gracie
06-24-2010, 10:46 AM
Thanks for starting this thread. I just downloaded the new version and I had no idea there were new features. I will have to look them up. Thanks for the 411!
Nancy

Here are two great very detailed articles to ensure you learn everything about your new upgrade!

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/apple-ios-4.0-formerly-iphone-os-4.0/

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/instant-expert-secrets-features-of-ios-4/

Ralph
06-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Here are two great very detailed articles to ensure you learn everything about your new upgrade!

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/apple-ios-4.0-formerly-iphone-os-4.0/

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/instant-expert-secrets-features-of-ios-4/

Well, that's some light reading on the subject! :D Haven't yet had a chance to play around with things to any extent. But, I found you can arrange the app icons on each "page" of the iPhone on the iTunes portal, which is much easier than previous versions.

And, Sneezles, the reason I haven't played around with it - my upgrade took ALL DAY :eek: I couldn't get the darn thing to back itself up, so I had to restore it as new. I also had a problem re-loading songs as most of them have been off-loaded to my external hard drive and though I direct it there, iTunes doesn't want to play well with that.

If anyone has a better way for iTunes to first store downloaded MP3s to the external HD and then pull them back from there to play, I'm all ears.

Gecko
06-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Me, me, me! It took a while for the download but it was totally worth it. I am also loving the folders for my apps (but I need to remember which folder they are in :o) and I love that I can now zoom a little bit on the camera.

pharmarepgirl
06-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Ok, I have just looked at the apps and I am very overwhelmed! We are Iphone neophytes so will anyone share with me Apps they really like and use often? A lot of the reviews seem negative for many of the apps I have looked at. TIA!

Gracie
07-01-2010, 07:29 AM
Ok, I have just looked at the apps and I am very overwhelmed! We are Iphone neophytes so will anyone share with me Apps they really like and use often? A lot of the reviews seem negative for many of the apps I have looked at. TIA!

since there are so many apps, I think you'll have to tell us what you are interested in.

Some "have to have" apps for me are:

ShopShop (simple to-do list)
Twitterific
MLB Lite
AccuWeather (I travel for business and don't like the weather app that comes with the phone). I also have a number of travel apps since one app just doesn't do it all.
Tripit
Shazam (tells name of song playing on radio, overhead at stores, etc)
mSecure password manager (I finally got it to work for anyone who read my other thread)
Starbucks mobile card (add money to your card through the app and keep track of bonus points)

pharmarepgirl
07-01-2010, 12:03 PM
since there are so many apps, I think you'll have to tell us what you are interested in.

Some "have to have" apps for me are:

ShopShop (simple to-do list)
Twitterific
MLB Lite
AccuWeather (I travel for business and don't like the weather app that comes with the phone). I also have a number of travel apps since one app just doesn't do it all.
Tripit
Shazam (tells name of song playing on radio, overhead at stores, etc)
mSecure password manager (I finally got it to work for anyone who read my other thread)
Starbucks mobile card (add money to your card through the app and keep track of bonus points)

I guess I was just looking for broad ideas of what people on the CLBB had as "go to" or favorite apps. Mostly I would say my main interests are food/cooking; dogs, books(fiction); music(pandora and sirius radio) weather. Not interested in games---yet!

There are 200,000 apps!!! I guess I was just curious what apps other have found useful/fun. etc.

Loremma
07-01-2010, 04:55 PM
I had just updated my phone yesterday and saw this thread about the folders. LOVE IT! Thanks for the heads up.

waltnj
07-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the info on the new version. My phone is only a 3G so I don't get all the new features but at least I get the folders!
My must have apps are:
Facebook
Pocket Informant (Lite) - Calendar/to do lists I have mine syncing with a Google calendar
PocketMoney (sort of like a check register for checks, credit cards, etc)
Bank of America
Grocery IQ (create shopping lists for groceries or any store)
Flashlight (yup, its a flashlight)
mobiQpons (online Coupons)
Pandora
Shazam
The Weather Channel
Lose It (track weight & fitness goals)
Target
CheckPlease (tip calc/bill splitter)
Martha Stewart (Everyday Food)
Redbox (I like it to locate redbox kiosks)

Can you tell I love my iPhone? :D