PDA

View Full Version : Appetizers for Tuscan theme party

Donnalee
07-26-2010, 11:21 PM
I'm having a party with a Tuscan theme. Any good ideas for appetizers before the dinner arrives? I thought of hard breadsticks but what sort of dip do I serve with them? Any ideas appeciated.

misia1976
07-27-2010, 02:23 AM
Hi! Why don't you make some bruschetta? Here in Tuscany (I live in Siena) it's one of the most common appetizers, pretty easy to prepare and really delicious!
Cut the bread into slices, toast the slices on a grill (or in the oven), rub a clove of garlic on each slice (it adds a lot of flavor), cut some tomatoes into small cubes, add a drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper and basil (fresh is better) and top your slices with this sauce. An even easier version is the one without tomatoes: just grill the bread, brush each slice with garlic and drizzle with olive oil...

Ohioan
07-27-2010, 07:06 AM
I was going to suggest bruschetta, too. Also, how about bite-sized portions of prosciutto and melon? Roasted red pepper w/anchovies on crostini (drizzle with vinegar for more pep)?

Cheers,
Phoebe

PattiA
07-27-2010, 07:23 AM
This (http://prouditaliancook.blogspot.com/2010/06/cantaloupe-puree-with-prosciutto.html) take on cantaloupe and prosciutto caught my eye:

It's a cantaloupe puree served with a prosciutto-wrapped breadstick.

Canice
07-27-2010, 07:40 AM
Or a white bean and roasted garlic (w/sage or rosemary) purée on the crostini, a light drizzle of your best EVOO over the purée.

cookncraze
07-27-2010, 10:52 AM
I wrapped cantelope with prosciutto & drizzled a balsamic reduction on it for party once & it was very well recieved!

Donnalee
07-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Thanks to all who responded. They are all great ideas and sound delicious. Is the bruchetta typically served cold? I want something that I can make up ahead of time and just put out right at the beginning of the evening.

EmptyNestMom
07-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Donnalee, Yes bruschetta is served cold. The bread is toasted so that it doesn't get soggy...You can make up the tomato topping and refrigerate until you are ready to add to the bread...personally I just set it out with the bread on the side and let everyone add their own topping...but maybe then it isn't officially bruschetta...???