PDA

View Full Version : fresh currant recipes anyone?

Carolyn
08-11-2000, 02:53 PM
I just impulsively bought a pint of fresh currants. Now what do I do with them? I love currant jelly but I'm not sure if I want to go to the trouble of making it. It seem to me that I have had a delicious meat sauce in a French restaurant which included currant juice. Does anyone have any recipes which utilize fresh currants? Would love to have them. Thanks!

Shirley Panek
08-11-2000, 08:09 PM
Hope these help.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Orange-Currant Chicken with Toasted Walnuts

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:25
Categories : April '97 Main Dish
Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/3 cup currants or raisins
1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
3 tablespoons orange marmalade
3 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon curry powder
Cooking spray
1 pound skinned, boned chicken breast -- cut into bite-size pieces
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 3/4 cups water -- divided
1 cup uncooked couscous
1/4 cup chopped walnuts -- toasted

Combine first 6 ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.

Place a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken and bell pepper; sauté 4 minutes or until chicken is browned. Stir in 1/4 cup water, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in currant mixture, and cook chicken over medium heat 2 minutes or until slightly thick. Set chicken aside, and keep warm.

Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Serve chicken and sauce over couscous. Sprinkle with walnuts.

Serving Size: 3/4 cup chicken mixture, 3/4 cup couscous, and 1 tablespoon walnuts

Description:
"Combine orange marmalade, soy sauce, and curry powder with chicken,
and you have a dish loaded with flavor."
Source:
"Cooking Light, April 1997, p.193"
Copyright:
"© Cooking Light"
T(Cooking Time):
"0:15"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 430 Calories (kcal); 6g Total Fat; (13% calories from fat); 35g Protein; 59g Carbohydrate; 66mg Cholesterol; 392mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

Serving Ideas : Serve with steamed asparagus.

Pecan Currant Biscotti

Recipe By :The Moosewood Collective
Serving Size : 36 Preparation Time :0:35
Categories :

2/3 cup pecan halves
2 eggs -- lightly beaten
1 egg white
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup currants

Preheat oven to 325º. Spread the pecans on a baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes, until lightly browned and fragrant. When the nuts have cooled, coarsely chop them and set aside. Increase the oven temperature to 350º. Lightly oil a baking sheet.

Beat the eggs and egg white in a large bowl until light. Stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, sugar, and brown sugar. Add the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt and mix until well-blended. Stir in the toasted nuts and currants. Using lightly floured hands or two rubber spatulas and working directly on the baking sheet, form the dough into two logs about 12 inches long and 3 inches in diameter. Place the logs at least 3 inches apart on the baking sheet and pat to an even thickness.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the logs are set and firm. Cool on a rack for about 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 325º. Using a sharp knife, slice the logs on a severe diagonal into 1/2-inch pieces. Place the biscotti cut side down on the baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes, until lightly browned. The biscotti will become firmer as they cool. Cool on the baking sheets. Store in an airtight container.

Description:
"Cornmeal, currants, and spices are appealing components of these
imaginative twice-baked biscuits. They are outstanding partners for a
cup of espresso or cappuccino, Spiced Ethiopian-style Coffee, or one
of the other coffee variations."
Source:
"Moosewood Restaurant Book of Desserts"
S(page):
"192"
Copyright:
"1997"
Yield:
"36 "
T(baking time):
"0:45"

Per serving: 112 Calories (kcal); 2g Total Fat; (12% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 10mg Cholesterol; 34mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : Prep time: 30-35 minutes
Baking time: total of 40-45 minutes

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Spicy Crusted Swordfish with Citrus-Walnut Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Fish And Shellfish Sept '97

2 tablespoons Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil -- divided
4 (6-ounce) swordfish steaks (about 1 inch thick)
1 cup water
2/3 cup uncooked couscous
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
1/2 cup currants or raisins
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
1 tablespoon honey
Cherry tomatoes (optional)

Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl. Stir in 1 teaspoon oil. Rub spice mixture over both sides of swordfish. Cover and chill 30 minutes.

Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Stir in lemon rind, lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and mint. Set aside, and keep warm.

Combine 1 teaspoon oil, currants, orange rind, orange juice, walnuts, and honey in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Set aside; keep warm.

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add swordfish, and sauté 5 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve with couscous, and drizzle with sauce. Garnish with cherry tomatoes, if desired.

Serving Size: 5 ounces swordfish, 1/2 cup couscous, and 1/4 cup sauce

Source:
"Cooking Light, September 1997, p.94"
Copyright:
"© Cooking Light"

Per serving: 467 Calories (kcal); 13g Total Fat; (24% calories from fat); 40g Protein; 48g Carbohydrate; 66mg Cholesterol; 527mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 Fruit; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

Nutr. Assoc. : 4866 0 0 0 0 0 0 5234 0 449 0 0 0 0 3024 0 0 5471 0

Carolyn
08-14-2000, 01:42 PM
Thanks Shirley! I think those recipes are referring to dried currants, similar to raisins. I don't think you can use fresh ones that way as they have little, tiny, hard, seeds. I think I will just crush, cook, and strain them and use the juice in some meat sauce recipe.

However, I plan to use both recipes. They look yummy!

lorilei
08-14-2000, 02:29 PM
You didn't specify what type of currants you have. But, here are a couple of recipes for a variety fresh currants.

This berry butter is excellent made with fresh currants:

Berry Butter

1/2 pound soft butter or margarine
1 pound sifted confectioner's sugar
1 half-pint basket berries
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup finely chopped nuts, optional

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Mash berries and blend with creamed mixture. Add salt and nuts and mix well. Serve over hot waffles, pancakes or English muffins. Stores well in the refrigerator.

This duck recipe is simply sinful!!

Roast Duckling with Sauce of Black Currant

3 spoons of Crème de Cassis
1 duckling
1 cup of kosher chicken stock
2 lemons
1/2 cup of fresh currants, or preserves
salt and freshly ground pepper

Inject the duck with a spoon of the liquor and put a lemon in the cavity. Truss the duck. Rub the skin with the juice of the other lemon, salt, and pepper.

Roast, breast side up on a roasting pan with a rack for 30 minutes at 325 F. Continue baking and baste every 20 minutes for 1.5 hours.

When duck is done, remove the fat from the pan and heat on the range. Add the chicken stock and reduce for a minute or two, scraping the bottom and the sides of the pan. Add the currrants and the rest of the cassis and lower heat. Cook for 5 minutes.

Place duck on serving dish and pour sauce on and around it.

Serves 2 friendly people.

And, of course, we need a soup!!

Currant Dessert Soup

1 quart red currants
1 pint red raspberries
2 cups water
1/2 cup quick cooking tapioca
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
whipped cream

Wash currants and remove any stems. Wash
raspberries. Add fruit to water in a saucepan, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Put through a food processer or sieve. Add tapioca, salt and sugar, return to low heat and cook until mixture thickens, about 10 minutes stirring constantly. Cool and serve in a glass serving bowl or individaual dessert dishes with dollops of whipped cream.

Makes 8 servings

Carolyn
08-23-2000, 09:01 AM
Many thanks for all your recipes. Lorilei, yours look like they could be made with the type of currants I bought (red). Unfortunately, a family emergency came up and by the time I could get back to the currants, they had had it. Am saving all the recipes for next year. I appreciate all your help!