PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on PMS and diet?

lisas3575
08-31-2001, 09:46 AM
I hate this TOTM (time-of-the-month)!! I get soooooo unreasonable, weepy, freakish. Can it be helped in a natural way, through diet and or supplements? Help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.... :mad: :D :eek: :(

Ralph
08-31-2001, 10:14 AM
Lisa,

Here are two links to pages at www.allhealth.com (ivillage's health site) that address PMS & things you can do on your own about it.

http://www.allhealth.com/conditions/qa/0,4801,304_326,00.html
http://www.allhealth.com/conditions/qa/0,4801,304_194498,00.html

I would recommend you talk with your doctor - it sounds as if your symptoms are a little more intense than routine PMS. A relatively new medication, sort of, called Serafem is being used for so-called "premenstrual dysphoric disorder," & I've had a handful of patients who are quite pleased with its results.

lisas3575
08-31-2001, 10:33 AM
Thank you Ralph! These were very helpful... I guess it's trying to figure out if my symptoms are "severe" or not. I may try the St. Jons Wort just for kicks before I see my doctor.

I do have to admit I was surprised that a member of the opposite sex was the first to reply! But I'm very grateful.
Lisa

SusieO
08-31-2001, 11:20 AM
Lisa, this is so timely. I've been having worse-than-usual PMS symptoms this week. I remember reading once that getting enough calcium can help keep PMS in check, but that has not been true for me this month!

I'm going to check out the sites Ralph suggests. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone, and thank you for asking the question. :)

Wendy w
08-31-2001, 12:04 PM
You rock, Ralph, thanks.

Sincerely,

The High Priestess of Happy Hormones:D

SandyM
08-31-2001, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the much-needed giggle, Wendy - I think you rock!

It's funny - my mood swings are quite cyclical. Three months ago I warned everyone to just stay the hell away. Last month, I never knew it happened. I don't know why it's like this, but I guess I'm just learning to go with it.

Thanks also to you Ralph - I'm filing this information for future use.

SueK
08-31-2001, 12:21 PM
I have the same problem. Some months it is mild, other months...look out! I take St. Johns Wort on a daily basis, and also found that taking a calcium-magnesium vitamin helps a bit, too. I try to stay away from caffeine on those days as well, since I don't want anything else to make my nerves hyper.

lisas3575
08-31-2001, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by SandyM
It's funny - my mood swings are quite cyclical. Three months ago I warned everyone to just stay the hell away. Last month, I never knew it happened. I don't know why it's like this, but I guess I'm just learning to go with it.

Mine too!! I love this board-- no where else can I ask this type of question without leaving myself wiiiiide open. So nice to realize that maybe I'm not terminally unique.

I've been averaging about a 3 month cycle of really really bad PMS, but it's been bad the last two times, so who knows. I jest feel like the well is dry, so to speak, and I have no resources to deal with the little hiccups that the day brings. Easily frustrated and overwhelmed...

JulieM
08-31-2001, 10:08 PM
I'm 46 and was having problems with PMS (mood swings, really sore breasts and bad cramps), plus my period was coming approximately every 21 days and was fairly heavy! Two things have helped tremendously. Cutting back on fat and sweets seems to really help the cramps, and I take the herb Vitex (Chasteberry) and now my period comes every 26 days like clockwork. The Vitex is supposed to help regulate your periods, among other things. Now I hardly know I'm about to start and my periods are lighter and easier to handle.

KValley
09-01-2001, 07:05 AM
Another random-symptoms, cyclical mood-swing sufferer checking in. I went off of the pill 18 months ago, and overall this has helped tremendously. My periods are lighter, shorter, and I experience physical symptoms (breast tenderness, headaches, cramping, backaches) to a much lesser degree. It has also helped my moods- I just don't seem to get the flashes of irrational anger or despair that I used to and when my mood does start to slip, I am able to work though it with more control.

I did have an emotional meltdown on Sunday- tears, slamming doors, lashing out at unsuspecting victims. I thought I was just working through some issues over my family being together at our place for the weekend, and all of the subsequent tensions and expectations that brought on; but lo and behold, my period started on Monday. I think the family thing only exacerbated an already fragile state of mind. It was the first cycle in a long time that I remember feeling so out of it and I just wasn't prepared.

The greatest drawback to quitting birth control pills has been the irregularity of my cycle. I can go for several months on about a 40 day cycle, then nothing for awhile. On Sunday I even peed on a stick just make certain I wasn't preggers- hadn't had a period since June. (I thought maybe my horrible mood had other significance!)

Julie, I've never heard of Vitex- I will have to do some label reading at our natural foods store. Although, I'm not really complaining about going two months without a period!

DH swears he knows when my period is coming because HE gets really bloated. :rolleyes:

Oh, and Lisa, I think you ARE terminally unique and that's a beautiful thing! :p

Molli526
09-01-2001, 10:45 AM
Lisa-

I have a couple things that may help.

Start taking at least 1000mg Calcium everyday (food &/or supplement)

Drink LOTS of water- even more when you feel bloated.

Try to stay away from Caffeine and Sodium as much as possible.

Drink more water.

Tylenol PMS seems to help too.

Molli

food girl
09-02-2001, 06:24 PM
Nothing to offer in the way of help except this little joke:

Why do they call it "P.M.S"?

"Mad cow" was already taken.

:D :D :D
Hope you feel better soon!
Lisa

Kristilyn1
09-02-2001, 06:48 PM
Well,

If guys just learned to wait on us hand and foot during this trying time AND they invented chocolate striped Pringles----I just don't think that PMS would exist....................................

Until then, I'm going to erect a red tent in my yard and wait for scented oil foot rubs.

Kristi

lisas3575
09-19-2001, 12:28 PM
Hi Ralph-- I'm thinking that, yes, I do need to visit a physician about this problem as it seems to be getting worse instead of better. I don't really have a regular Dr. though, so I'm wondering if I should see my regular PCP (who I've never even met) or a mental heath professional or an OB or what... Any thoughts?

Jewel
09-19-2001, 01:09 PM
DH says one of the reasons DH says he married me is because I DON'T GET PMS!! :p Aside from the twin guns (Smith & Wesson) getting a bit sore and some cramping, I get no real mood swings or irritability. My mother used to throw cutlery!! :eek:

Unless you can call crying at every episode of 'Touched By An Angel' PMS? :confused:

traci june
09-19-2001, 01:33 PM
Smith and Wesson??? Scary!!:eek: Having loaded body parts could be mighty dangerous - never know when one might go off!!

I have noticed I tend to tear up during some commercials and certain Simpson's episodes....hmmmm....

Traci

LIsaP
09-19-2001, 02:03 PM
This is an interesting thread. I too have found PMS symptoms worse lately, as has my sister.

KValley, it is interesting that you have seen a change in your cycle since going off the pill-I am experiencing the exact same thing, I have been off for 1 year.
It has been really frustrating since I am trying to conceive! I wish someone had told me of this possibility when I went on the pill!

I haven't really found anything that helps the symptoms too much-I just try to exersise more and give into my cravings on those days.

Ralph
09-19-2001, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by lisas3575
I'm wondering if I should see my regular PCP (who I've never even met) or a mental heath professional or an OB or what... Any thoughts?

A good PCP should be able to help you with/through this. No need to go thru mental health, but if your insurance allows, you may be able to be evaluated thru an OB/Gyn, too.

lisas3575
09-19-2001, 02:55 PM
Thank you, Ralph, you a truly a life saver.

I did also pick up some St. Johns Wort to try until I can get an appointment, but I'm confused about how to take it. It says, "Take 3 capsules daily with meals." Does that mean one pill with each meal or 3 pills at once with one meal?

Nirak
09-19-2001, 04:32 PM
Kristilyn1,
I have had chocolate covered pringles and they are all that you would expect. Rocky Mt. Chocolate company sells them -- I think this is a franchise but we had ours in NYC.

funnybone
09-19-2001, 04:43 PM
I came across the following article months ago:

http://canadianliving.mochasofa.ca/food/content/features/nutr-file-pms/index.asp

It's titled Eat to Beat PMS

lisas3575
09-21-2001, 09:12 AM
Saw the doc and he put me on Celexa for the next three weeks. Thanks everyone for your encouragement and support. xoxo

crlykat
09-22-2001, 08:17 AM
I found that after changing my diet from lots of junk food and refined foods to one with lots of veggies, fruits, and low fat foods, my PMS decreased in a big way.

Also, I had read in Shape or Health(?) that St. John's wort interferes with some medications such as birth control and tamoxifen.
Here is a link:
http://www11.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/alternative/07/25/stjohns.wort/

lisas3575
09-22-2001, 10:46 PM
Wow. Thanks for that link crlykat. Very important stuff indeed, and I hadn't found it in my research. Just what I don't need right now is getting pg!

christinew
09-24-2001, 02:30 PM
I wanted to check on you and see if you conquered your PMS> I am suffering greatly now and running to take some calcium.

Let me know if you have found any tricks. I used to take Prozac and it really helped but we are now trying to conceive so I don't want to take any meds.

Thanks Lisa!

lisas3575
09-24-2001, 03:09 PM
Hi Christine:
I don't have too much to report... I'd started taking St. John's Wort the day before I went to see the doc and he put me on Celexa instead. Check out the link that crlykat posted also.

I haven't tried the calcium thing yet, nor really any of the other suggestions. :o I'm baaad.

My friend visits in one more week, hopefully the Celexa will have kicked in by then.

christinew
09-24-2001, 03:20 PM
Thanks...I just took two midol, a calcium supplement and cracked open a beer...I will read about Celexa......but I can't take anything until after we've conceived Junior and had him....it will be a tough time without the help of my trustee Prozac.

;)

lisas3575
09-24-2001, 10:03 PM
hang in there... we'll get through this together! :)