PDA

View Full Version : Cook's Illustrated membership went up to $29.95 a year???

helene
10-15-2010, 01:07 PM
I am not impressed. Just received a renewal email from CI and it went up to $29.95 a year. I can't justify paying that much.

Did you renew at that price?:mad:

blazedog
10-15-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm seeing $27.00 a month but you're asking the wrong person as I had a subscription for a year and let it lapse as I really didn't $X worth of interest in it - whatever they charged at the time.

It was like the New Yorker Magazine as it was a real albatross as I also felt guilty about tossing the stuff. As I recall, the paper subscription doesn't get you onto the website which I have a real issue with although there were codes for additional recipes on the website that worked for limited periods of time.

BlondeButterfly
10-15-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm seeing $27.00 a month but you're asking the wrong person as I had a subscription for a year and let it lapse as I really didn't $X worth of interest in it - whatever they charged at the time.

It was like the New Yorker Magazine as it was a real albatross as I also felt guilty about tossing the stuff. As I recall, the paper subscription doesn't get you onto the website which I have a real issue with although there were codes for additional recipes on the website that worked for limited periods of time.

The "double dipping" is why I cancelled my On-Line *and* my SnailMail Magazine subscriptions.

I really think Cook's Illustrated is going to get reasonable with their prices or call it a day. :(

blazedog
10-15-2010, 04:34 PM
The "double dipping" is why I cancelled my On-Line *and* my SnailMail Magazine subscriptions.

I really think Cook's Illustrated is going to get reasonable with their prices or call it a day. :(

They are actually greedier than that as they "triple dip" which I discovered when I went to look up a recipe for something that had been prepared on America's Test Kitchen -- none of those recipes are available on line at the show site which is really a first for me.

Even back in the day - prior to the internet - the old cooking shows would have the ingredients printed on the screen - of course with no TIVO - one had to be fast to copy it down but you could write to the television station for the recipe -- not that I ever did. :p

It's one of the reasons I lost interest in watching the program. I've seen enough of the shows that I understand the basic techniques they use to improve the outcome so if I can't get a recipe for something seems tasty, there's really no point in watching the show at all.

tidee
10-15-2010, 06:14 PM
that was why i canceled. when i found out i couldn't get the recipes by copy/paste rather than typing them into my computer from my paper copy ~~ unless i wanted to buy an additional online subscription ~~ i was ticked! so i didn't renew.

helene
10-18-2010, 07:07 PM
I don't think I will renew at that price. They are too pricey for me now.