PDA

View Full Version : Question on the WF tube of tomato paste...

applecrisp
10-24-2010, 06:34 PM
I bought a tube of the Whole Foods brand of tomato paste today. I typically buy the Amore brand.

I like to have a tube on hand when a recipe calls for a small amount (if recipe calls for a decent amount, I'll use the small can and freeze any leftovers).

When opening up the WF box. It said refrigerate after opening, and use within two weeks. Huh, two weeks??? If I had to toss after weeks, that would negate the benefit of buying the tube.

I always kept the Amore brand for many months without second thought. I wonder if WF is different, or they are just doing a generic answer and being super conservative for protection. I think I will ask customer service next time I'm there.

Hmm. Thanks.

Canice
10-24-2010, 07:11 PM
I buy 365 all the time, and sure as heck don't use it all in two weeks...or even two months. I never noticed that on the packaging and haven't had any problem with it.

sneezles
10-24-2010, 07:35 PM
The expiration date on the tubes is forever...just opened one today and the use by date is someday/2012...somethings you just have to ignore.

applecrisp
10-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks Canice and Sneezles. I too was under the impression that it basically lasts indefinitely -- which is the whole advantage of the tube.

I sure wasn't planning to toss after two weeks, or two months for that matter. I just found it strange.

Now if it was Coffee Heath frozen yogurt, and it said to consume within two weeks, I would sure oblige.

Thanks.

funniegrrl
10-24-2010, 07:47 PM
The Amore says that, too. At least the tubes I've purchased.

blazedog
10-24-2010, 08:09 PM
FWIW, I went back to tomato paste in cans. I freeze in approximately one tablespoon portions on a small plate in the freezer and when hard I stick them into a small Tupperware container - then take out whatever I need.

It's significantly cheaper than the tubes.