PDA

View Full Version : Best holdiay baked good ever received

Hostess
10-25-2010, 08:07 AM
What is the best holiday baked good you have ever received? Do you prefer cookies or an entire cake? Candies or breads?

LakeMartinGal
10-25-2010, 08:35 AM
I prefer cookies, candies or breads, but not a cake. And the cookies have to be something I don't make, or don't make as well.:p

Interesting question -- why don't you make it a poll?

Robyn1007
10-25-2010, 08:50 AM
My aunt's cranberry bread. I look forward to it every year.

Thankfully, other than that I don't generally get goodies as gifts. :p

Now, the most well received I've ever given was my hot cocoa mix and homemade marshmallows. Long distance ust got the cocoa.

brr9270
10-25-2010, 08:55 AM
I would say cookies, but I actually like candies (fudge) or Almond Roca!

Hostess
10-25-2010, 09:04 AM
I prefer cookies, candies or breads, but not a cake. And the cookies have to be something I don't make, or don't make as well.:p

Interesting question -- why don't you make it a poll?

Good idea!

mkc
10-25-2010, 09:35 AM
We don't live near family, so homemade baked goods aren't something we can exchange (easily) at the holidays. If they were, I'd be thrilled to receive a babka like I grew up with - basic brioche-y with golden raisins in it.

Of the commercial bakery gifts we've received, Wolferman's English muffins and H&H bagels are probably our favorite (especially the basic flavors). And the loaf of real rye bread my dad mailed to me from NY when we'd first moved to Texas and I was going through bakery withdrawal :D

Hmmm... looks like I prefer bread, especially one that makes me feel nostalgic ;)

The best received that I've sent is a homemade sweet and spicy nut mix.

Michelle

KAnn
10-25-2010, 04:55 PM
One of my very fondest memories is of the Christmas Candy that my late maternal grandmother sent to us every year...she sent divinity and other wonderful cookies and her peanut brittle, but her "Christmas Candy" which I have never seen anyplace else in my almost 50 years is a cherished family heirloom. I think homemade candy in particular is just wonderful!

Hostess
10-25-2010, 06:24 PM
One of my very fondest memories is of the Christmas Candy that my late maternal grandmother sent to us every year...she sent divinity and other wonderful cookies and her peanut brittle, but her "Christmas Candy" which I have never seen anyplace else in my almost 50 years is a cherished family heirloom. I think homemade candy in particular is just wonderful!

Divinity? You haven't seen that in 50 years? You poor thing! We see it all the time here in the south. It is marvelous candy!

KAnn
10-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Divinity? You haven't seen that in 50 years? You poor thing! We see it all the time here in the south. It is marvelous candy!

No, no, no! :D She did make divinity which we all see all the time-it was her penuche type fudge with all kinds of nuts and dried cherries, etc that I have never seen anywhere else! It was a recipe given to her in Lincoln,Nebraska in the 40's. She sent it every year to her daughter's families until her death in 1986. I will be making it again this Christmas.

catbatty
10-25-2010, 11:54 PM
KAnn,

Any chance you would share that recipe (her penuche type fudge with all kinds of nuts and dried cherries)?

:D

CookinginMaine
10-26-2010, 06:45 AM
ooh, fun thread!

My favorite holiday baked good gift is, by far, the Portuguese sweet bread that my aunt used to make every year at Christmas. She'd bake a loaf for each family to take home, and we looked forward to it all year. Cut into thick slices, toasted and slathered with butter, it was like a little piece of heaven on earth.

She also used to make various relishes and chutneys that we were always eager to try.

So, I guess I'm with LakeMartinGal--I prefer breads or fudge, but not cake. I bake so many cookies at the holidays that I get cookied out and don't really want them as gifts. I'd rather receive something a little out of the ordinary that I wouldn't normally make for my family, like a special yeasted bread or maybe some really good fudge or preserves or apple butter or something of that nature.

Pannetone...now that's a baked gift I'd love to get!

Beth
10-26-2010, 09:31 AM
They were gifts from my childhood --

My favorite was a gift we got from a neighbor when I was growing up -- a pint jar of fudge sauce, the same every year. It was something simple that my dad cherished and we got to enjoy too -- a little at least. Enough to leave us wanting more.

As far as baked goods, my aunt always sent my dad a tin of cookies like their mother made for the holidays -- and they were always good, even if broken.

KAnn
10-26-2010, 12:41 PM
KAnn,

Any chance you would share that recipe (her penuche type fudge with all kinds of nuts and dried cherries)?

:D

Oh, I absolutely will! I am in the midst of a move so it may take me a day or two. :)

Varaile
10-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Homemade toffee - you know the one with a pound of butter and smeared with melted chocolate chips? Seriously, I could eat that and nothing else.

Though I am also particularily fond of frosted sugar cookies.

carolyn.1
11-02-2010, 12:16 PM
awaiting KAnn's recipe :D

EatingHealthy
11-02-2010, 01:36 PM
We also live far from our families, so usually I bake something for us and I like to try each time new recipes.

JuliN
11-02-2010, 06:46 PM
My favorite goodie to receive is anything with nuts -- spiced or otherwise. I also like nut butters, nut breads, nutty cookies, peanut butter fudge, .... you get the idea.

As for favorite baked goods I've given -- my neighbors all ask for homemade cinnamon bread with cinnamon glaze. I make in it my bread machine, so I can do about 1-2 loaves each day and then deliver to a lucky neighbor while it's warm. Gives me a chance to see a few people each day throughout the season.

Juli

cathyr8bd
11-02-2010, 07:05 PM
My paternal Grandma made the most delicious cookies! Anise flavored, with hazelnuts and red and green glaceed cherries. THAT meant Christmas to me.

sugaree
11-03-2010, 05:10 PM
As for favorite baked goods I've given -- my neighbors all ask for homemade cinnamon bread with cinnamon glaze. I make in it my bread machine, so I can do about 1-2 loaves each day and then deliver to a lucky neighbor while it's warm. Gives me a chance to see a few people each day throughout the season.

Juli, would you please share the recipe for the bread? It sounds wonderful! Pretty please!

CookinginMaine
11-04-2010, 06:35 AM
Juli, would you please share the recipe for the bread? It sounds wonderful! Pretty please!

I second that!

My bread machine is humming right now with some buttermilk wheat bread, but glazed cinnamon bread sounds so much better...

Linda in MO
11-04-2010, 12:24 PM

I'll third the request. :D

KAnn
11-04-2010, 05:30 PM
awaiting KAnn's recipe :D

Oh, I feel terrible but I have not had my internet connection at home since my move last week! Hopefully, it will be fixed this weekend. Not sure if it is my PC or Comcast and I need to rely on one of my sisters who is a techie. I am at work and rarely have much personal internet time but I promise to post it as soon as I can! (And I am having board withdrawl syptoms as I haven't been on this BB since my last post. :o)

(And I must admit that my move would have been sooo much easier if it were not for my cookbook collection and few outside of this board understand my need for so many cookbooks and food magazines that I cannot bear to part with!)

carolyn.1
11-05-2010, 01:41 PM
KAnn, we'll still be here when you can breathe and get your barings. I know how time consuming it is to move and get everything all set up again!

EmptyNestMom
11-06-2010, 07:25 AM
My favorite was cookies the neighbor brought over...and she also brought a roll of the cookie dough frozen so I could make more at a later date! That was nice!!:D

KAnn
11-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Recipe to come! I have unpacked my recipe boxes and have my internet connection back...leaving for work but I will try to post tonight when I get home. The holiday season is upon us at WF and work is busy, busy!

Kate B
11-09-2010, 11:24 AM

Add a fourth request! It sounds wonderful and something great to give away (or eat myself :p).

Kate

KAnn
11-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Connie’s Christmas Candy
(resembles a penuche or brown sugar fudge)

1 C candied pineapple
1 C candied cherries-halved
1 ½ C brazil nuts-halved
1 ½ C walnuts-halved
2 C pecans-halved

In a heavy saucepan mix:

3 C sugar
1 ½ C light cream (or half 'n half)
1 C light corn syrup
1 t salt
2 vanilla

Cook over low heat and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Cover and let boil one minute or until crystals dissolve. Uncover and cook until soft ball stage (about one hour). Beat until creamy and holds shape. Add fruits and nuts. Butter your hands and press into 2 large pans (I am guessing that she meant 9x13-this makes a lot of fudge. Cut into small squares after cooled and set. This can be stored at room temperature just like traditional fudge.

* Her 60 year-old recipe calls for nuts to be halved but that is because the fudge is prettiest when nuts and large enough to be recognized- you just don’t want to finely chop them. This recipe was mailed to my family and my aunt’s family every year at the holidays for about 30 years. The last piece I had would have been the Christmas prior to her passing in 1986. It was her signature recipe.

LakeMartinGal
11-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks for this recipe! I'll have to use something other than Brazil nuts, because I'm allergic... or maybe I can use them to keep myself from eating it? :p Nah!:o

KAnn
11-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks for this recipe! I'll have to use something other than Brazil nuts, because I'm allergic... or maybe I can use them to keep myself from eating it? :p Nah!:o

Oh, I just love brazil nuts (but I am not allergic!) but I am sure something else could be substituted. Macadamia's...? Or more of the pecans and walnuts could be used, too, I would think. She used to mix the red and green candied cherries which was also very "Christmasy".

carolyn.1
11-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the recipe, it is on my Christmas baking list. I just love old family heirloom recipes...nothing like them in the world!

JuliN
11-18-2010, 06:51 PM

I am so sorry that I am tardy in posting this. I am an IT Recruiter and the job market in Cincinnati is on fire. I feel like I work day and night.

This recipe is from The Bread Lovers Bread Machine Cookbook (Beth Hensperger). I make this almost every week for someone.

Cinnamon Swirl Bread (1-1/2 lb. loaf)

For the dough:
1 c. water
2 TBSP. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/4 c. sugar
3 c. Bread flour
1/3 c. dry buttermilk powder
1 TBSP gluten
1-1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. SAF yeast OR 2-1/2 tsp. bread machine yeast

For the Cinnamon Swirl:
2 TBSP unsalted butter, melted, for brushing
1/3 c. brown sugar (I use a combo of Splenda and brown sugar for my weight-watching DH)
1 TBSP cinnamon

Place all ingredients in the pan according to the manufacturer's instructions. Set crust on medium and set on Dough Cycle.

Preheat over to 350F. Grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan. When the machine beeps at the end of the cycle, remove the pan and turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Pat the dough into a 8 x 12 rectangle. Brush with butter, and sprinkle with the Cinnamon mixture, leaving a 1-inch edge all the way around. Tuck the ends under, pinch the bottom seam. You can smooth with fingers dipped in water.

Brush the top with butter, and let rise at room temp for about 45 min. or until doubled. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from pan and let cool before glazing or slicing.

Cinnamon Glaze:

Make Confectioners' Sugar Icing:
3/4 c. sifted confectioners' sugar
1 to 1-1/2 TBSP warm mile
1 tsp butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract or other flavoring

Whisk ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth. Adjust the consistency of the glaze by adding more milk, a few drops at a time

Sweet Spice Variation:

Add 1/2 tsp cinnamon, cardamom, mace or nutmeg

Using an oversized spoon, drizzle or pour glaze of the top of the loaf in a back and forth motion. As the glaze cools, it will set.

sugaree
11-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Hurray, thank you Juli! Looking forward to trying it!