PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin, Barley & Sage Soup from BHG

AngelaM
10-31-2010, 12:18 PM
I made this last weekend and it was wonderful. I ended up sprinkling in a little more chicken granules than the recipe called for. Next time I would just use low sodium chicken broth (I didn't realize the recipe also had water until I was making it as it wasn't included in the ingredient list.)

Since it was a new recipe to me and I haven't made many pumpkin soups, I just made the 4-servings and as is customary for me, I gave away 2 servings to my Dad and 1 serving for my sister (because they will try new things if I make them, but are unlikely to make them on their own). I regret only making a single batch.

I hope to be able to make another batch this weekend, and if I do, it will be double. This would be a great soup to take to work for lunch.

Cookin4Love
10-31-2010, 03:32 PM
Sounds like something we'd like. Could you please post the recipe?

beth23
10-31-2010, 04:17 PM
Yes please on the recipe. I love barley! Thanks in advance!

Cookin4Love
10-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Found it on a blog:

Pumpkin, Barley and Sage Soup
From BHG

8 oz. cooked andouille or smoked sausage links, sliced
1 small onion, chopped
1 Tablespoon snipped fresh sage
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup quick-cooking barley
1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
Garnish with green apple slices and additional fresh sage

In a 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven cook sausage, onion and sage in hot oil over medium heat 3 minutes, stirring often. Add barley, 4 cups water and bouillon granules. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir in pumpkin, maple syrup and vinegar; heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. garnish with apple and more sage.

AngelaM
10-31-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks Cookin!

I really liked this a lot. The maple syrup sounded unusual, but I made the recipe as written and was very pleased. I used Bruce Aidell's for the andouille sausage.

If I didn't have an English midterm this week, my house wasn't a disaster from construction, and we weren't going out of town last week......(sigh). It was a perfect fall soup.

beth23
10-31-2010, 09:32 PM
This looks so yummy! It has sausage too--bonus. Thanks for the review.