PDA

View Full Version : Pasta in a rice cooker?

tbb113
11-07-2010, 01:16 PM
My new apartment only has one larger burner on the stovetop which makes it hard to boil water and cook something in the saute pan at the same time.

I googled and found that you can make pasta in a rice cooker...but I'm still leary of trying it out. Has anybody done so? Not with sauce, just water and pasta? Or do I get to be the guinea pig? I have a 10-cup Aroma Rice Cooker (not fuzzy logic) if it makes a difference

sneezles
11-07-2010, 02:07 PM
I looked at a few of the sites and none said anything about fuzzy logic so I'd say you could do it in yours. Interested to know how it goes!

EatingHealthy
11-08-2010, 04:49 PM
I have Panasonic rice cooker, and I tried to cook pasta once. I would not recommend you to do so as you will get something edible but very sticky. I use my Panasonic for many things, like rice, soups, stews, porridges, but not for pasta anymore.

PAMMELA
11-09-2010, 11:19 AM
I thought that I have read that you can bring the pasta to a boil and then let sit covered for the cooking time (off the heat). I'd try that first! :)

sneezles
11-09-2010, 04:31 PM
I thought that I have read that you can bring the pasta to a boil and then let sit covered for the cooking time (off the heat). I'd try that first! :)

You can and it was back in the 80s when it became popular to conserve energy...it works and I'd forgotten about that trick.

tbb113
11-09-2010, 09:08 PM
I saw that too in my google search. I might try them both and I'll report back on my results

cherylopal
11-10-2010, 07:03 AM
I would suggest an electric skillet- my mom used one to boil pasta and do most of her cooking when her stove/oven was being replaced. she said it was perfect for everything she needed- she got it at bed bath and beyond with a coupon- i have it now and love having it-

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411QG9WFE4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg