PDA

View Full Version : What's The Difference?

TieKitty
11-16-2010, 10:56 AM
DH and I are going to a Christmas party on the River Walk in San Antonio, Tx in a couple of weeks. The dress is "downtown casual". Is this the same as "business casual"?

Can you tell I don't get out much?:o;)

BlondeButterfly
11-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Never heard of Downtown Casual. :o

I think you'd be better off dressing as you would if going to a fancier restaurant or some such.

Hope you have fun! :)

blazedog
11-16-2010, 11:20 AM
Oh lord - the stupidity of people in terms of these new "dress codes".

Downtown casual is particularly meaningless in my opinion since "downtown" in New York City traditionally meant the bohemian section of NY as opposed to "uptown" where the WASP elite lived - so downtown casual would mean "hipster" or bohemian fancier duds.

I have no idea what downtown casual means - downtown where?

Isn't downtown a specific area that would be different than Uptown in New Orleans?

PurplePotato
11-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Oh good grief, that's a new one.

I'm guessing something like B.Butterfly suggested - what you'd wear to a fun/evening restaurant. But not khakis like business casual. Somewhere between bar wear and cocktail party wear.

Blissful_in_TX
11-16-2010, 11:32 AM
I've never heard of that in my life....seriously, I think they kind of made that one up. Personally I'd wear something along the lines of little black dress or a little glitzier than business casual.

Another one that bugs me is "dressy casual".

Robyncz
11-16-2010, 12:03 PM
Hahaha. I don't know how people are supposed to guess what these things mean.

However, if I read this on an invitation, I would interpret it to mean something different from "business casual."

To me it would mean "dress like you're going to a party out in public" in other words, fashionable and festive. Not suit/tie/cocktail dress, but not jeans and a t-shirt either. I picture a fun dress, dressy jeans with a funky sequin top, leggings or palazzo (sp) pants with a cool top. That kind of thing.

DanaSD
11-16-2010, 12:09 PM
I would say business casual is more conservative and downtown casual could be more stylish or trendy (and could include more 'skin').

sneezles
11-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Whatever you wear be sure to bring a small umbrella as the grackles are horrendous on the River in December!

TieKitty
11-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Whatever you wear be sure to bring a small umbrella as the grackles are horrendous on the River in December!

EGADS! Thanks for the heads-up:D on that.

TieKitty
11-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Well, it sounds like an excuse to go shopping.:p;)

BlondeButterfly
11-16-2010, 03:12 PM

By all means!

Heck, any day that ends in *Y* is a good excuse to go shopping. :D

swedish cook
11-16-2010, 05:02 PM

A Google search for downtown casual fashion brought up Barneys New York and designer Alexander Wang. I sure would like to know who typed that invitation - someone quite young hanging out on fashion blogs.

You could always drive down to Northpark Center, walk into Barneys and ask :D I sometimes shop in that mall but have never set foot in Barneys. Buy my jeans elsewhere...