PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Kindle question...

Jewel
01-05-2011, 11:36 AM
I took the plunge and ordered a Kindle last night, should be here within 2 weeks. I also ordered a really cool purple case and skin. :D

I bought the WiFi version. We do NOT have wireless in our home, but we have USB cables, and the ability to download books on the fly is not really of interest to me, so I think this will be fine, I don't need the 3G. I also don't have an iPhone. However...

I'm assuming I have to 'register' my Kindle when I receive it? Just do that online with Amazon? And when I purchase books online, will I download the same way I put songs onto my iPod? Just purchase, the book lands on my desktop or into a folder, then I hook up the USB and download? I'm somewhat technically behind the times and would appreciate hearing even the basics about this device!

In some ways I'm wondering if I can justify the cost since I generally buy used paperback books at thrift stores or Half Price Books, then donate them when I'm done reading. My average cost for a paperback is $3.00 to $4.00 and I'll be paying more than that for an e-book. I rarely ever buy hardbacks, and never seem to buy 'new' books, so I never pay 'full price' for any book. I actually keep a list of books that I hear about (often on our book threads! :D) and search them out when I'm browsing thrift store books, but I always try to buy them used. But....I think I'm going to enjoy the benefit of not having to carry the paperbacks around with me, and the freedom to read anywhere I want to read.

I also think it will branch me out a bit on my reading material. I've honestly never been extremely adventurous when it comes to the fiction that I love to read. I have specific authors that I enjoy reading, and rarely seek out any 'new' authors. It's like food. I find something I like at each restaurant we frequent, and tend to order that same menu item each time we go. :o I think browsing the cheaper e-books at Amazon I will be more inclined to try this one because it's 'on sale' and might even find new authors to enjoy!

Shugness
01-05-2011, 11:57 AM
I got my kindle in December. It was already associated with the account that I ordered it from. I was literally able to turn it on and immediately start downloading book to it.

On downloading books, I can either look at books on the kindle and download them from there, or I can look at amazon.com from my computer and do "buy now with one click" option that is to the right of the screen where you're looking at the book, and it will automatically deliver it to my kindle. Yesterday I learned that the kindle doesn't have to be turned on, and will download it once it it on. For example, I clicked on the "buy now" with several free books yesterday while on my lunch break, which downloaded once I got home and turned my kindle on.

As for prices, I'm previously vented on here about some of the ebooks costing more than the paperback version. Like you, I bought most of my books used at book sales, so I've never spent a whole lot on books.

However, in the short time I've had my kindle, I've already filled it up with several months worth of free books to read. Most all of the pre 1920's published stuff is free, but I've had a hard time reading those due to the difference in speech then versus now. I found two different groups on facebook that I fanned that post updates of books that have become free, most are short term offers though, so you have to act fast.

There is also a new "lending" option that is available.

ETA: Also, if you're going to actually "buy" a book, I highly recommend doing the "sample" option where it sends you the first chapter or so. At the end of the sample portion you have the option to purchase the book. I sure wish I would have done that on one of the books I purchased, because it sucks. :)

HTH.

Jewel
01-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Thank you for the details! :) I thought I had to have a wireless router in my home to purchase/download books direct to my Kindle? I read something on Amazon's website that if we didn't have wireless we could select the 'deliver via computer' option and it would send it that way.

I did just go into 'Manage My Kindle' and saw that it is already registered, and I turned on my One-Click payment settings. Does that mean that I can go in and order/download books now and when I receive the Kindle and turn it on they will download? Or will be available to download with USB? :confused: I was under the impression that without wireless connection in my home I will always have to use the USB unless I just happen to be at Starbucks. :D

Shugness
01-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Ok, sorry, I thought you were saying you bought the one with 3G but I see now where you have that you didn't order that one.

I'm really not sure how you download them through the USB cable, which the kindle comes with one, by the way, but I would imagine it is like putting music on your IPOD.

Honestly, if I didn't have wireless at my home I would have probably spent the extra $50 for the 3G one. Not that downloading the books through the cable is that big of a deal, but I've found that I have books on my kindle that I have no idea what they are about. You can press the left cursor button and a menu will pop up which allows you to look at the book description, but it basically takes you to the amazon website description, which won't work if you don't have an internet connection. I learned this while we were traveling, I wasn't able to look at book descriptions because I bought the $139 model without 3G. I'm not sure the $50 extra bucks to be able to do that would have been worth it to me since a larger portion of my reading is done at home, but if I didn't have the wireless at home either I would have forked out the extra dough.

Not saying you can't just get on the internet and look at the description on your computer, it's just not as convenient. And to be completely honest, I really didn't know what the difference between the $139 and $189 one was until AFTER the fact. I thought 3G just meant it downloaded faster, I did not realize it mean it had built in internet.

sneezles
01-05-2011, 04:15 PM
I have the DX so I'm not sure I can really answer your questions but that's never stopped me before!:D

I imagine you will have to sync using the usb cord that comes with your unit as opposed to downloading where ever you are (I have 3G).

You can also download the books to your PC after you install the software(different than downloading to the unit)...came in very handy when my Kindle cr@pped out on me while in the UK last summer. I was able to still read the books from my laptop.

There are thousands of free books and it gives you the opportunity to read books you never thought you'd read...did me anyway.

Gumbeaux
01-05-2011, 04:42 PM
I thought 3G just meant it downloaded faster, I did not realize it mean it had built in internet.

Actually 3G means 3rd generation cell phones and connections, Wi-Fi is a different frequency which means you have to be within a few hundred feet or less of a wireless router.

Jewel
01-05-2011, 05:16 PM
I imagine you will have to sync using the usb cord that comes with your unit as opposed to downloading where ever you are (I have 3G).

OK gotta ask...what is 'sync'-ing? :confused: Is that like uploading a song onto my iPod list and then re-uploading the whole list into my iPod so that song is added? But in this case, books?

Told ya....technically challenged. :o

Shugness
01-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Actually 3G means 3rd generation cell phones and connections, Wi-Fi is a different frequency which means you have to be within a few hundred feet or less of a wireless router.

Yep, it's the cell phone business that I was associating 3G with. My boss has an iphone and he would complain that AT&T's coverage in our particular county was not 3G, but it was in the county to the north (higher population). I asked him once what that meant and he said his phone was faster with downloading in that county. Therefore, that's what I assumed when looking at the Kindles and the $189 one said 3G. I realize I'm in the minority here as far as being a bit ignorant when it comes to modern day technology, but for me the advertising for those two kindles could be more clear.

blazedog
01-05-2011, 05:27 PM
My father had the first generation Kindle and no wireless router in his room - and the Kindle worked perfectly without connecting to the computer.

My understanding is that Kindle pays someone to provide the wireless for the Kindles anywhere in the US so you don't need a computer connection or wireless account. At that time they wouldn't work outside the US because the coverage was only in the US.

I have no idea whether the Kindle would work if you were in the wilderness but if you are located in a *normal* area the built in wireless capabilities of the Kindle will find the prepaid Amazon signal.

sneezles
01-05-2011, 05:55 PM
OK gotta ask...what is 'sync'-ing? :confused: Is that like uploading a song onto my iPod list and then re-uploading the whole list into my iPod so that song is added? But in this case, books?

Told ya....technically challenged. :o

My understanding is it just means connecting to the computer. With the iPhone is makes user it's all up-to-date so I guess it would be the same for the Kindle.

The website says all Kindles have it built in (the wifi and it uses their Whispernet technology)and no computer is needed...

Shugness
01-05-2011, 06:29 PM
My understanding is that Kindle pays someone to provide the wireless for the Kindles anywhere in the US so you don't need a computer connection or wireless account. At that time they wouldn't work outside the US because the coverage was only in the US.

That's the $189 model one, the one they refer to as the 3G. It has built in internet, sort of like a smart phone has the built in internet.

For $50 less, you can get the $139 one that doesn't have that built in internet, therefore you will need to have either internet at your home or pick up a WiFi connection somewhere else. That's the one I have. :)

blazedog
01-05-2011, 06:55 PM
That's the $189 model one, the one they refer to as the 3G. It has built in internet, sort of like a smart phone has the built in internet.

For $50 less, you can get the $139 one that doesn't have that built in internet, therefore you will need to have either internet at your home or pick up a WiFi connection somewhere else. That's the one I have. :)

Got it. When I bought it for my father there was only one model and it connected automatically.

ETA - and at this point, it is really following the razor analogy in which the razor is sold cheaply because over the course of time, one will make a fat profit on the blades. Here, there is a nice profit on the books that will be bought.

I think it's a wonderful gadget for the right lifestyle but since I am a two blocks from a library which gives me access to every book in the Los Angeles County system and since I easily go through two books a week and read at home almost exclusively, my lifestyle doesn't currently justify it. If I were still living in NY and taking mass transit, it would definitely be something absolutely indispensable.

Angelina
01-05-2011, 07:55 PM
If I were still living in NY and taking mass transit, it would definitely be something absolutely indispensable.

That is where I use mine the most, when commuting on the subway. It actually makes me wish sometimes my train section of the trip was longer, as I can not always read on the bus without getting a bit queasy. :)

I love my Kindle (3G version). I do not have a wireless setup at home, and I like to just think of a book when I am at work or on the bus and buy it. We got a Kindle for my Mom for Christmas, and she is registered under my account, so she gets to read all my books and I will read hers if she buys any. And yes, we have the finances all figured out as far as who is paying for what. ;)

Jewel
01-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Thanks to you all for your feedback! I did purchase the $139 WiFi version with no 3G. I read some Amazon reviews about how the 3G coverage area was very selective and would rarely connect. I also figured I'm so used to downloading things at home, and I don't travel much, so why spend the extra $50? I hope I don't regret my decision, but as long as I'm home with USB cables handy I don't see an issue.

The test for me will be downloading my first book. Once I get it figured out I'm sure it will become second nature. :)

Gumbeaux
01-06-2011, 08:43 AM

Actually, both models have built-in internet. Think of of this way: Wi-Fi = short range, built in internet that uses a wireless router. 3G = long range built-in internet that uses cell phone towers. If you are not within range of a cell tower or a wireless router you are not going to be able to have a wireless connection with either model.

Missi
01-06-2011, 10:43 AM
I got a 3G for Christmas and LOVE IT! I do feel like it has expanded my reading (though I read a lot anyway) because I have downloaded some of the free public domain books that I probably wouldn't have read otherwise. I also love the lightness of it, since currently I am reading Dan Brown's "Lost Symbol" and it is over 500 pages. That would be a heavy book to lug around.

Check out dailycheapreads.com for a blog that's updated several times a day with deals.

Let us know what you think when you get it!:D