PDA

View Full Version : Doubling Recipe for CrockPot ?

SusanL
01-15-2011, 11:39 AM
I am going to double bobmark26's recipe for BBQ Turkey Smokey Joes tomorrow. He posted that when doubling ingredients, don't double ketchup, sugar, and vinegar. I hate to ask, but why? I usually double everything and when I read this, I thought I better put it out-does it become too watery?
TIA.

psims2000
01-15-2011, 03:09 PM
I sure hope someone who has made these can answer this because I want to make them too and double them. I would be concerned they would be too dry without doubling everything.

Kiwismommy
01-15-2011, 05:40 PM
All I can say is that if Bob said not to double then don't double...he is wise!

I've not made this recipe so cannot give you personal insight.

The board is often very quiet on the weekend which is why response is slow.

I'm sure your meal will turn out wonderful. Enjoy!

Danita

tovie
01-15-2011, 06:47 PM
I have not doubled the recipe but I could guess that they probably become too liquidy. It's often very liquidy when I make a single batch.

Note that it's not really watery, it's just got lots of sauce.

You could double everything and just drain some of the sauce off if necessary.

memartha
01-16-2011, 04:23 PM
I've made the recipe. Doubling the sweet and sour ingredients will lend too much sweet and/or sour to the recipe, IMO.

So I'd suggest 1 1/2x the ketchup, sugar and vinegar to the doubled recipe. Then when it's cooked, taste. If you like it sweeter, add a little more sugar or ketchup and cook a few minutes longer. Same with the vinegar. Hope this helps.

SusanL
01-16-2011, 04:25 PM
Here ya go, I didn't double items mentioned and got a lot of liquid. I uncovered as noted but it didn't get thick, so I made a slurry, delicious!! I assumed it would make more liquid and he was right. This is a make again. I am going to freeze it to serve in two weeks. Thanks Bob for the original posting!