PDA

View Full Version : Dacor Millennia DRT304SLP reviews

wallycat
05-23-2011, 10:18 AM
We're going to be moving into the new-to-us house soon....and I am changing out the electric cooktop to a propane.

I've gone 'round and round and am trying to watch pennies but also want a quality product (don't yell at me...i think it CAN be done :D ).

So the GE monogram rangetop is expensive, but 6 burners and all the same BTU.
BlueStar drop in cooktop has 1 22K BTU burner and is cheaper than a monogram but the knobs are where the burners are.

Spotted a 4 burner rangetop in Dacor that is the lowest in price but have heard spotty reviews on Dacor.

If you own a Dacor, can you share your experience with it?
They do make 6 burner but it is just DH and I and I can't imagine paying for 6 burners if 4 will do....even though I've been drooling over the monogram for almost a decade, now that it is time to pull the trigger, the pricetag has me freaked.

zoey55
05-23-2011, 10:23 AM
We've got a 6-burner gas DACOR with an electric oven and a big exhaust hood. The exhaust hood light and fan have had flaky issues and the electric oven has had issues. And DACOR repairmen are hard to come by in our area! My husband has become a self-taught expert on it as a result :p. However, the gas stove-top part we've had no problems with! And, ALL of it I *do* love, it is a joy to cook with. However, I would say I've never had a range with so many issues!

wallycat
05-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the reply.
This is just a rangeTOP and no oven as there is a current wall oven in the kitchen.

mkc
05-23-2011, 10:44 AM
I have had a 6-burner Dacor rangetop (Epicure) on propane and now have the 6-burner Monogram rangetop on natural gas.

I really liked the Dacor, although it had issues with one burner's igniter always acting up. I did need to use the simmer plate to get a true simmer. Loved, loved, loved the griddle that fit over the middle (wider) burner area. It was much wider than any griddle you can buy. Finding service may be an issue in your area - you might check with Dacor before committing to make sure there's an authorized repair shop in your general area.

I had no choice but to go GE in the new house, but that said I like the Monogram rangetop slightly more, and the simmer is a true simmer. The only thing I miss the the griddle. My one complaint is that the finish on the knobs (plated) doesn't seem to be holding up.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, especially if service won't be an issue.

Michelle

PurplePotato
05-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Service is an issue. In my area there are only a couple places that service Dacor/Miele/SubZero/Etc. Also, service tends to be pricier than lower priced brands.

I have a Dacor microwave/convection combo as well as a gas convection oven. So far they have been excellent.

I have a Miele gas cooktop. Don't get a Miele - the ignition is annoying.

Happy buying! :D

Beth
05-23-2011, 11:14 AM
I had a Dacor gas cooktop 2 houses ago and loved it. It was a drop-in rather than a rangetop. Dacor didn't 'make the list when we replaced the cooktop here because of the different size burners and different width grates.

You are familiar with GardenWeb, so I'm guessing you have already looked there to see if you can find reviews. I remember seeing some propane specific reviews when I was reading there and it sounded like some brands handled the conversion better than others. I don't remember Dacor being a problem, but I'd try to search specifically for the propane version.

Gilgamesh37
05-23-2011, 11:45 AM
I've posted this here before, but:

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3482/gilsnewrangeal4.jpg

This is my 48" dual fuel Dacor range and hood. I've had it 9 years now, and have only had 1 service call (and that turned out to be a tripped circuit breaker--had no idea the vent fan shared a circuit breaker with a grounded electrical outlet in the garage). That said, I do have an excellent local place that's an authorized Dacor repair center--and what *they* had to say about how Dacor handles repairs had a lot to do with my choice (that Dacor absolutely stands 100% behind their products and on more than one occasion, they'd told the shop to go ahead and do the repair and they'd sort out what was covered under warranty and what wasn't later, and Dacor would make up the difference if needed). If I let the stovetop get a bit dirty, sometimes the burner ignitors misfire, which is slightly annoying but no big deal. I LOVE the range, love to cook on it, agree that you need the simmer plate to actually simmer (and I kind of wish I had another, but they're around $80 and I just haven't wanted it enough to shell out), and love how it looks (especially when it's clean :rolleyes:)

PurplePotato
05-23-2011, 12:05 PM
This is my 48" dual fuel dacor range and hood. ...

w . A . N . T

:d

Gilgamesh37
05-23-2011, 12:43 PM
w . A . N . T

:d

:) When I was turning 40, my mother said she wanted to buy me a really BIG birthday present. She figured I would ask for a car. I asked for the range. Never regretted my choice for a second.

SusanL
05-23-2011, 01:14 PM
DROOL... wow, what a fabulous range and hood!!! I'm watching this thread!!
Thanks for all of your help, can't wait to see the final kitchen/house photos.

Home Chef
05-23-2011, 01:42 PM
We've had a Dacor gas cooktop, 5 burners, for at least 10 years, no problems, no service calls on it. I like it, I do use the simmer plate and love it. We have the back vent, downdraft also and love it.

We also have the Dacor double wall ovens, 2 service calls on that but we have service here. That was for too high of heat tripping something that then didn't let the oven turn on. The last visit the service person set it a little higher and showed me how to fix it! Easy!

Oh and I do cook and use my appliances!

gobluem82
05-23-2011, 03:36 PM
I've had a Dacor electric double wall oven, ceramic cooktop, and microwave for about 6 years now. We've had one service call each for the microwave and the oven--both needed relatively expensive replacement boards. I agree with the earlier statement that since there are fewer authorized dealers, service takes longer and is more expensive. All of ny Dacor appliances work fine, but I'm not necessarily convinced they were worth the extra expense.